where do I find the site mover?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I want to copy some of my pages from my original web site to my new one. I can't find the Site Mover to get started.
Diane
Photo of Diane1668

Diane1668

• 292 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,478 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The easiest way to locate the Site Mover, is from the Help center.

1. To start, log into your account, and click the Help button at the top right hand corner of the page.

2. click View Help

3. In the search box type "copy a website" and press enter.

4. The first topic to appear will say " Move or copy a website". When you click this link, you see more detailed instructions, which lead you through the process.

Important: You commented that you are moving pages from one website into another. You will want to make sure the page names are not duplicates. If you have duplicate page names in the two sites, the site mover will rename your pages.

Mike
Photo of info6476

info6476

• 70 Points
can yall just paste the link please... every time yall post help it does not match what the results say... its annoying.
Photo of SiteBuilderPros

SiteBuilderPros, Champion

• 3,618 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
https://sitebuilder.homestead.com/~si...

info6476 You will have to be logged into your account prior to accessing the page for the above link. But fyi, Mike instructions are spot-on, and enable you to pull up the Site Mover page "the proper way" within seconds. ~ Hope this helps

good answer Mike!

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Correct.... And just to be a little more clear, you'll need to log into the account that the site is moving into.
Photo of Donald4084

Donald4084

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
How do I copy a whole website or a page from one website to another.

I am wanting to move several pages from one website to a new website
Photo of Ruth8588

Ruth8588

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
HELP CLONING WEBSITES......

I have 3 domains, how do I mirror all three so they are all the same...I have the one done now, and need to clone the other two. Please assist?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

First you'll need to make two copies of the site using the steps in this thread.

After you've made two copies, then you'll need to re-associate the domains using the steps here: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Ruth8588

Ruth8588

How much would it cost for you to do it for me?
Photo of Ruth8588

Ruth8588

Mike, I have gotten it to work for. " one" but not both. I will call Monday! Thank you! Still wanting to know whys you will charge to do it.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 262,492 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Good morning, we charge $50 per site to move a site from one account to another. The reason is that when we didn't charge for it, no one used the site mover tool, they called support and we spent long periods of time doing the moves. Since we are a do it yourself host, and we provide the tool, we want to encourage people to do themselves, that which is typically a simple task. This frees our agents to be of assistance to those who have issues they are unable to handle on their own.

If you do need further assistance then please let us know.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Katharine Kavanagh

Katharine Kavanagh

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
website movement within Homestead.

My partner and I have 2 websites - both on homestead. We are interested in blending them both into one while at the same time, insuring that the original can still operate and reroute online traffic. we want to preserve the work done on website one as it moves to website two. How do we accomplish this?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The best thing to do is to create a copy of the site which is the largest (using the steps above), The manually create or rebuild the new pages from the 2nd site. Because of they way the SiteBuilder works there are numerous elements, pages etc. that will have duplicate file names which will cause problems.

Mike
Photo of Joe3390

Joe3390

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Thomas8975

Thomas8975

how can i move a website from one homestead account to another.

My sister had a homestead account. She is closing it and I want to move a site over to my homeatead account. How can i do it
Photo of John3166

John3166

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Duplicating a website.

I have a Homestead website which I want to duplicate and give it a new Homestead URL. I put a lot of work into the existing website and would like to use it as the base for another website. How do I do that, please?
Photo of Valerie1744

Valerie1744

• 616 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
how to transfer a website to a different person.

My website is currently on my mother's account. I've made my own account and I am now ready to transfer the website to my name. How do I go about doing this?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Official Response
Another way to access the SiteMover is to log into the account where you are moving the site, and then copy/paste this url into your web browser: https://www.homestead.com/~site/SiteM...
Photo of Anita1374

Anita1374

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Help does not work.

Trying to copy a site to move to another account. They say to go to help and type in move site.

Get no response.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Just log into the account that you want to move the site into, then copy and paste this url into your browser: https://www.homestead.com/~site/SiteMover/

Photo of John and Carol3865

John and Carol3865

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Copy a website.

Hi I am looking for the Move an entire site window. I am on the copy web site page and it say to Click MOVE A SITE in the move an entire site window.
Photo of MTM315

MTM315

• 148 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Duplicate a website within the same Homestead account.

I would like to create an exact duplicate of my website within the same Homestead account but under different domain names. The Help notes suggest I use Site Mover but I can't seem to locate it. Please help. Thank you.
Photo of Joe3390

Joe3390

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Photo of zachary8343

zachary8343

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Your first step is to create the new site and just give it a name, but, DO NOT select a template or build any pages.

1. Click the "add new site" link at the top of the Websites Manager page and give the site any name you wish, but do not proceed to the templates an pick a design.

2. Then, click the link referenced above to launch the Site Mover screen.

Follow the on screen prompts from there.
Photo of GEORGE8880

GEORGE8880

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Duplicating my publisehed site to modify and rename for my second website.

I have a completed 2 page website published. I want to copy the site, change the name and a little of the content but retain the look, feel and setup of the original one. How can I do this while not upsetting the published original one?
Photo of Tamara6423

Tamara6423

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Photo of James4894

James4894

• 536 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Photo of kingdomseeker6827

kingdomseeker6827

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
How can I transfer a page from one homestead website to another homestead website. Or do I have to transfer step by step.

Does the font size, color, type have to be entered again for everything?
Photo of Drew N

You can copy the entire site using this tool, but you can't do just one page.

Drew
Photo of TERRANCE6676

TERRANCE6676

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
HOW DO I COPY JUST ONE PAGE FOR SOME OFF LINE CHANGES? I NEED TO DO IT THIS WAY AND THEN PUT IT BACK ON MY HOMESTEAD SITE..... THE PAGE REQUIRES SPECIAL ART WORK NOT INCLUDED IN HOMESTEAD.
THANKS
TERRY B.
Photo of Drew N

Unfortunately there really isn't a good way to copy a single page. There are a large number of files that would have to be copied as well, like the navigation element, and any other files that may be on the page.

Drew
Photo of TERRANCE6676

TERRANCE6676

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
wouldn't it seem reasonable if a page cannot be copied as requested that the files be returned to the controls of the user as they once were?? Simply storing them on the individual user computers seemed such a good thing, especially since they were the user property to begin. '
What was the reasoning behind removal from the user?
Terry B.
Photo of Drew N

Your files are still stored on your computer, but you can't just copy a page and be done. Each element on the page will have required files that are associated with it. There also might be an incompatibility between the templates on the 2 sites. It is probable that some files would have the same name and overwrite files on the destination site.

One big reason for moving the files into the cloud was our ability to back up the last several days and have a restore point for your sites.

Drew
Photo of Liz5583

Liz5583

• 552 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
How can I transfer website including the domain from our account to another homestead account?.

I finish one website but I have another homestead account, so I would like to transfer it to another new account.

How could I do?

Thank you
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

To move the site, you will want to log into the destination account and follow the steps above. To move the actual domain name you will need to either call us, or contact a Live Chat agent and provide the email address and pin number for both accounts. Please do not post them here as this forum is visible to the public.

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.