Where are the new templates?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I have been using Intuit Websites for years. I just went into a site to change my template and I get a choice of 32. Nowhere do I see the options described in the FAQ: •Business Type •Website Personality•Website Purpose•Target Customer•View designs by color - let alone "hundreds" of templates that I used to get.

What's changed?
Photo of Mike9271

Mike9271

• 360 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Melvin5513

Melvin5513

• 70 Points
I was thinking the same thing Dia!!! WTF
Photo of Liz7754

Liz7754

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My new answer to all this: http://www.squarespace.com

The way I see it: I have been a super loyal customer of Homestead for years. referred oodles of other clients to Homestead. When it was in its early days - and pre-buyout from Intuit - it was great. Now as I said earlier "the entrepreneur has left the building. It shows." The team who started it all are now gone. It is at less than maintenance level now. Changes have been made that even wrecked the product suite - which used to be compelling. I never - ever - had to consider any other provider for my website needs.
However those days are now long gone. I'm taking my domains and leaving.
Sad to go. The death of a company - and the death of a dream in a way..

PS: " A long, long time...I can stil remember how Homestead used to make me smile..."
(Anyone who knows the history of Homestead, and the Founder's legendary pitch at DEMO, will understand this irony..)
Photo of apask1234

apask1234

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree with you it is time to move on.
Photo of Zenja1942

Zenja1942

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am soooooo disappointed. Long time customer. Just logged on to build a new website and was shocked to see only a couple website template options. Wow!!! How sad. I loved this company. Guess I gotta move on.
Photo of samuel4160

samuel4160

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am very sad about this as well. The old sitebuilder is more versatile than sitebuilder plus....it is more sitebuilder minus! Right now, I cannot even download a template from the limited number supposedly available to the old sitebuilder! sigh.
Photo of FLYrFLY

FLYrFLY

• 344 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is really disappointing. My 10 year old just told me to switch to another company, showing me great templates on Wix and some other sites. I've already put all my direct marketing on Constant Contact which is wonderful, looks like after all these years I am going to shop for a new business home too. Sad to leave homestead, but this is ridiculous. Really and truly. I spend about 50-bucks a month here, and have been with this company for years. I also have two other paid accounts, one for recreation, another for a non-profit. Not happy. NOT happy. Robin-The Palm Beaches
Photo of samuel4160

samuel4160

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Is there any way to finesse this situation????
Photo of Patsy Ann

Patsy Ann

• 1,780 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I just spoke with a rep at Intuit regarding the templates. Yes, you have to switch to Site Builder Plus. Will not effect the already web sites you have designed. But if you want to make changes, it might not give you the options you are use too.

Intuit doesn't even own Homestead anymore. They have sold out to Endurance International and they are suppose to add some new features and improvements in the near future. Now what those will be, I have no clue.

I am not a happy camper with all these changes. If it aint broke, don't fix it...is my motto, but Intuit has really been messing with alot of things that worked.

I am not switching over as I have 40 web sites built for clients and I don't have the time to learn a new program and certainly not one that will not offer what I am use too.
Photo of I'm just saying

I'm just saying

I just got off the phone with a rep and he guided me to thousands of new templates...they are so awesome...I don't know what the big deal is and why everyone seem to be so upset but these are great...

Perhaps you guys talked to someone who was less informative, I advise you to try again...I've been with them since 2004 and have always had great feedback and services...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,558 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your feedback on the new templates! We do agree that the new templates are far superior to the old ones and much more modern in design. They also provide users with additional features such as the Master Template feature and some new image handling effects like adding rounded corners, shadow effects etc.

Once people get use to the new features and design, they rarely go back. !

Thanks again!
Photo of RITA4182

RITA4182

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
but where are they??? I can't even get the edit button to pop up
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

When you log into your account, click the Websites Manager link like shown in the instructions above. If you want to overhaul your existing site, just follow the steps above. if you want to start a brand new site click the "add a new Site" link which will be on the top right side of the page.

Mike
Photo of I'm just saying

I'm just saying

Ok...here's the thing, I spoke a bit too soon earlier in reference to the templates, only because I wasn't fully informed of the two site builders not being compatible with the other... If this is an upgrade, I think it should be compatible with the site builder lite...

I've been with Homestead since 2004 or 05, however, I've been waiting on new templates and now to only be able to access them online is NOT a great idea. I like the desktop version compared to the online version...

I had to call them back within hours to ask them to switch me back to the limited 32 templates ...#SMH ...What a bummer...those templates are really nice but not worth this headache. I hope they can incorporate them to the old site builder...soon!
Photo of Elleneditz

Elleneditz

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
So I am using SBPlus, where are these thousands of templates? That is not the big deal for me. I asked before I switched what I would be losing. Both on phone and chat I was assured that I would have the same functionality.
NOT TRUE
I cannot have multiple pages open, I don't have the divider tool, Did I lose the ability to transfer a website to a new domain? The connect form is limiting and why does Homestead still want to be part of the copy write in the footer if they sold it?
Photo of Andrea1515

Andrea1515

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I already have an account with homestead. I'm looking to update my design on the website. When I go to look at new templates it only shows 10 options. I want to see all of them. How do I do this?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
New Website Template.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Official Response
To access the new templates, you will first have to have your account converted to Sitebuilder Plus which is our newest version. The upgrade is free so just let us know if you wish to change.

To access the new templates (after you've been upgraded), go to the Websites Manager page, and click the Choose a different design link as shown.

Next you'll get a warning informing you that the new template will override and delete your existing site. Click the Browse button if you wish to continue.

From here you'll see some sample templates. You can use the drop-down menus at the top of the page to filter through the templates. Also click the color bar on the right side to filter by color scheme.

After you select the new template there will be on screen instructions walking you through the next steps and accessing the Sitebuilder Plus.

Thanks!
Photo of r jane8571

r jane8571

• 60 Points
I have sitebuilder plus but no access to the extra templates.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 262,604 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Your account is set to use either Plus or desktop sitebuilder. To get access to the additional templates, we have to turn off Sitebuilder desktop completely. Do you use desktop at all? or can I turn it off?

Drew
Photo of OnlineLifestyle

OnlineLifestyle

• 1,788 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hey Drew,
so do I understand I can't use both the Plus and desktop sitebuilder anymore? I have pro I normally work with and was also given a link to the Sitebuilder that I downloaded. Seems like it wasn't that long ago I was told where to go to download the sitebuilder but possibly things have changed since then. It has actually been helpful in deleting some things I couldn't do in the Pro online? Appreciate your input.
Thanks
Photo of OnlineLifestyle

OnlineLifestyle

I think I must not be converted to Pro totally even though I use it online. I checked and don't see all the templates available. Do I have to get rid of my sitebuilder :( or no extra templates?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You are correct. To be fully converted, we'll have to remove access to the desktop SiteBuilder. Once that is removed, then you'll have access to all the new templates. The new templates have features that are not backwards compatible which is why you are now blocked from accessing them. If you want us to convert the account for you, just make sure you have everything published from the Desktop version first. Then reply when you are ready for us to make the change.

Mike
Photo of OnlineLifestyle

OnlineLifestyle

Ok Mike I haven't been using sitebuilder that much these days so go ahead and convert mine all the way to Pro then. If I need to do anything I can't find a way to do then will just ask help. Thanks
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Your account has been fully converted. If you start any new sites, you'll notice some new features such as Master Templates and a few others. If you run into any problems let us know. Thanks!
Mike
Photo of OnlineLifestyle

OnlineLifestyle

Great, thanks so much!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You're welcome.
Photo of alvin

alvin

• 70 Points
I put my site up in 2002 I will be leaving homestead ASAP.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Alvin, If there is anything we can help you with please feel free to post a question.

Mike
Photo of Laurie4521

Laurie4521

I'd like to upgrade to site builder plus. Is there anyone in particular I should contact?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I can switch it for you. It only takes a few seconds. Before I do, you'll want to make sure all of your work is published from the other version of SiteBuilder. When you are ready, just reply here and I'll have it done.

Mike
Photo of Jodine

Jodine

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I need to do the same.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Jodine, I can easily change it for you. Just reply here to confirm you are ready and have published all of your work.
Photo of Jodine

Jodine

Yes I am ready and everything should be published.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Jodine, I've made the change. From now on, just go to www.homestead.com and log into your account. Go to the Websites Manager page and click the blue "Edit" button near the center of the page.
Photo of Jodine

Jodine

Thanks!
Photo of I'm just saying

I'm just saying

I broke down and switched to SBP because those 32 templates were just boring and so dated looking. I love SBP but some of the features from the old site builder aren't available, like being able to put the time on your website, etc.
I still don't see why they can't convert the two, some of us love to work offline on the desktop. Well maybe there's hope for the future...

Does anyone know how to put the TIME on the website or is it a thing of the past?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks for your question. The "time" feature as well as the other widgets mentioned in this thread, https://community.homestead.com/homes... are a thing of the past, which is why they were removed.

If you really want to display the time, weather, hit counter, etc then there are all kinds of free html scripts that you can find on the internet and just copy/paste the code into an html box.

Basically, when we converted to the Plus version, they removed all the old, outdated widgets, upgraded to much more modern templates, added a new photo gallery with much higher quality images (that don't look like clip-art from the 70's), and added new features; Master templates, image editing (cropping, shadow effects, rounding corners, etc. ), upgraded ecommerce/SimpleStore and more.

One of the biggest reasons that we will probably never see a the desktop version updated/re-created is that all most of the demand is for cloud based software. People are becoming more mobile, and want the flexibility to work on their sites from multiple PCs. From a business perspective it is much more costly to develop multiple desktop versions (for MS Windos, Linus, Apple etc.) than it is to create a single version that runs on a common web browser. This eliminates installation issues, and incompatibility issues between all the different operating systems ( and each version of those) etc.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of I'm just saying

I'm just saying

That makes sense Mike and I appreciate the feedback...Looking forward to more great changes...I guess I'll uninstall the sitebuilder from my desktop...Have a wonderful day! :)
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks! let us know if you run into any problems.
Photo of GWH0756

GWH0756

• 544 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Mike,

I agree with "I'm just saying"...great explaination!

I'm still a little confused about what I can or can't do, if I transition to SB+.
I currently have several websites I built and and manage with the decktop SB version.

If I were to transition my account to the web-based SB+ version...
1. How would I now mange and/or update my legacy websites?
2. Would I still be able to use the desktop version for the legacy websites or does transitiong to SB+ make the desktop version inoperable?

I know that any new websites built with with SB+ must be managed/updated using the SB+ version because the desktop version is incompatible, which I can live with. But obviously, my concern is any impact to my ability to maintain my current websites, devoid of rebuilding them in SB+.

Looking forward to Homestead's feedback on this.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You'll be able to open the sites in SB+ with no problem. Editing them is almost the exact same process as the Desktop version. You'll notice that the main menu on SB+ has been redesigned so it looks a bit different but it functions almost the exact same way.

You can switch back to the desktop version if you wish, but it's not advisable to go back and forth. However any new sites that you start with SB+ are not backwards compatible with SiteBuilder desktop.

Mike
Photo of Laurie4521

Laurie4521

Thank you. I switched over and love it. The only issue is it seems to be slow today. Any suggestions on how to speed it up a bit?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Try using the Firefox web browser as your 1st option, then Chrome as a second. These two browsers usually run the fastest unless you have a lot of add-ons and plug-ins installed. If you do you can disable anything that is unnecessary. If the browsers are running clean with very few addons,and it's still running slow, then it's likely just the speed of the internet connection. Dial-up, weak wifi, and satellite connections often lag a bit.
Photo of Chris5416

Chris5416

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
where do I find the website templets options.

Looking to find the 100's of website templet options. Where did they go?
Photo of hairperfecto4542

hairperfecto4542

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
how can I get back to look at designs?.
Photo of sammy1250

sammy1250

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How do I view more website templates.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The first response in this thread shows you how to view the templates. You can also click the link to add a new site and then you can actually play around with the template before overriding your site.

Mike
Photo of Emma9163

Emma9163

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris,

I spent hours last night working on pages on the desktop version and then today the account rep updated my account to SiteBuilder Plus and I no longer have access to the templates and pages I worked on. I would like to load these ....can you change my account so I can toggle beween the two? Thanks!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I have given you access to both. Keep in mind, it's not a good idea to switch back and forth. If there is content in the desktop version you need, I recommend publishing it, and then using SB+ going forward.
Photo of Mitch1595

Mitch1595

• 62 Points
Im in need of the account update to the plus version also
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Your account has been updated. From now on, you will access the SiteBuilder by logging into your account and clicking the blue Edit button located on the Websites Manager page.

Thanks
Mike
Photo of PATRICK7798

PATRICK7798

• 60 Points
Please update my account
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Your account has been updated.
Photo of Jodine

Jodine

Update mine also please to toggle.
Photo of Drew N

Please publish any changes from Sitebuilder on all sites. Then logout of Sitebuilder and post here. I will convert the account and then reply to you that you can login again.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Judy6768

Judy6768

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would also like to be switched so I can access the new templates please.
Photo of Drew N

To get these, I will need to switch you to the online Sitebuilder only. If you want to switch, please make sure that you have published everything from Sitebuilder and then logout of Sitebuilder. Let me know when you have done this by posting here. I will convert the account and then let you know.

Drew
Photo of Judy6768

Judy6768

What does online sitebuilder mean?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Our newest version of SiteBuilder is called SiteBuilder Plus and it is web based. It runs in your web browser so there is no software to actually install on your computer.
Photo of Judy6768

Judy6768

Gotcha! Ok. I am logging out now. Please switch me over. Thank you. :)
Photo of Judy6768

Judy6768

Let me know what to do from there when it is switched please.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Your account has been converted.

From now on, go to www.homestead.com and log into your account. Then go to the Websites Manager page where you'll see a blue "Edit" button which launches the sitebuilder.
Mike
Photo of Stan3832

Stan3832

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Anyway for Homestead to add templates are completely different from the rest of templates. What I mean is that right now main page for all templates differs, secondary pages are basically the same set up through out. Also any other templates are going to be added (restaurants, doctors, etc)?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,458 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sorry, but at the current time there are no plans to add any new templates. This may be something that occurs sometime down the road, but as of now we are working diligently on many other upgrades.

Mike
Photo of Stan3832

Stan3832

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Can you share what these upgrades are?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,458 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There are many things going on in the background as a result of Homestead being sold by Intuit, which will allow us to offer a wider variety of products and services but those things may be months or even years down the road. At this very moment we are in the process of migrating our email system to a newer more reliable platform as well as our ecommerce Storefront product to a much more robust and user friendly system.

Mike
Photo of Patsy Ann

Patsy Ann

• 1,780 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Well, you need to hurry up before you loose all your customers, then you wont have to worry about months or years down the road. Just saying!
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

• 1,036 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree.
Photo of Drew N

• 262,410 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We are working as quickly as possible, We are sorry for any inconveniences. You are able to build your own template from scratch as well, if you don't like any of the existing ones.

Drew
Photo of Daniel3786

Daniel3786

• 236 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please upgrade my account as well.
Photo of Drew N

Publish anything you need to and then exit Sitebuilder. Let us know when you are out of Sitebuilder and we will convert the account. We will let you know when you can access Sitebuilder Plus and the new templates.

Drew
Photo of joanngallant7224

joanngallant7224

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
online chat help.

i think homestead should get people that none what they are talking about to help customer. i call because i am having trouble change a template and the man told me to clean my cookies and i will have a new design. when i clean my cookies i get a new design each time. i think he been drinking
Photo of Carrie0732

Carrie0732

• 308 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Can I please have my account changed so I can see all of the templates but still edit my site with the desktop software? I do not want to lose any information or change my site yet, but I am looking to redesign and I don't have the time to start from scratch.

So does the online sitebuilder do what the desktop version does? The online version used to not have as many features and it pretty much sucked. I don't want to use it if it isn't as good as the desktop version.

Also, can I create a new site with the new online version and then copy it to an existing site so I don't lose anything?
Photo of Drew N

I believe you are referring to the online Sitebuilder you currently have access to. The new one requires we switch you and there have been some things added and some things removed in comparison to the desktop. Some elements were not used and others were out of date and generally not used in web design any longer.

Typically in a complete redesign, you would simply build the new site and then move the domain to the new site.

There is no way to create a separate site and seamlessly integrate it into the existing one. Does this help, or can you be more specific as to your plans? If you want to switch, I will do so, just let me know when and stay out of Sitebuilder. I will post here again when I have converted the account.

Thanks

Drew
If this post helps, please give me a "Star" and complete this survey to rate my performance.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.