when changing nameservers will i lose my contacts etc from the email i used when signing up?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Photo of audlhiller5410

audlhiller5410

• 70 Points

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes. You will want to backup and save any emails, or contacts that you have in the Hmail/Zimpbra system before you change the nameservers.

Mike
Photo of Jonathan9396

Jonathan9396

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How do you back up the email and contacts? Outlook will save the inbox and sent but not any other folders. Is there a way around this?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

To back up the contacts do the following;

Your contact lists are exported and saved in a comma-separated (.csv) text file format.

1. Go to Preferences>Import/Export

2. In Export, select the Type as Contacts

3. Select the contact format to export the contact file as.

Windows Live Contacts

Outlook contacts

Account contacts (this keeps the contact information in the same format is it
is in)

Thunderbird

Outlook 2003

Yahoo contacts

In Source select the contact list to export. Click OK.

Click Export.

In the dialog that opens, select Save File and select where to save the file. Click OK.

The contacts file is saved as an .csv file, with the contact information organized for the format you selected
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Also, Under Preferences > Import/Export, You will see an option to export/backup emails, calendar etc. However it is important to know that it saves the file as a .tgz file which is a compress format and may not be compatible with other email clients or systems. To be safe, you may want to manually forward any critical emails to another email address.

While logged into the Hmail account, just click the Help button at the top of the screen. In the search tool just enter the word "export" and you'll see step by step instructions for the various options.
Mike
Photo of Rhys3751

Rhys3751

• 186 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mike: I am trying to export and have followed your instructions. This is what I get, a message : Not allowed for export from root folder for this type. Help!

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hello Rhys3751, Thanks for including the screenshot. Try clicking the button that says "All folders". and then see if you get a popup like below that allows you to select the specific "contacts" folder.

Photo of Rhys3751

Rhys3751

• 186 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mike. I figured it out after sending. We have moved all our email to Google Apps due to the problems at Homestead. You are doing a valiant job and in an unenviable postion.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Great.. Glad you got it working, and thanks for the kind comments. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.