What do I need to do to move to Bigcommerce?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

• Store data: We will move your products and customers to Bigcommerce for you. When we notify you that your Bigcommerce store is ready, we recommend that you check on a few products to make sure everything is correct.
• Images: We will move images if a product is marked as active. We are trying to move images for products that are inactive or are hidden as a result of no inventory.
• Store design: We can’t move the design from Prostores to Bigcommerce. However, the themes available to Bigcommerce customers are excellent and are also customizable using standard HTML. You’ll need to choose a theme when you start using Bigcommerce. The default them is a 1 column theme with the category list at the top. For those of you with more than 5 main categories, this will look strange when you first log in. Rest assured there are many great themes to choose from that have the category list on the left or right. You can choose one of those, or consolidate you categories to utilize a top menu format.
• Order history: We are working on a way to import your order history into your upgraded store. In the meantime, you will want to export your orders to a spreadsheet so that you have a record of them. It’s always a good practice to have a copy saved on your own computer.
• Taxes and shipping: We can’t move tax and shipping charts. These will have to be manually configured. The Bigcommerce online help center explains all the details.
• Update comparison shopping information: If you are currently using Google Analytics and any comparison shopping, you will need confirm if it is still working. There might be a need to do some additional work, but the Bigcommerce integration and options are far superior.
• Store promotions: We will not be able to move your promotions automatically, but Bigcommerce offers an excellent array of options for promotions.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,646 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Christine2988

Christine2988

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
will the link address of each product be changed?
currently my other website has a "buy" link for each SKU which gets the customer directly to the checkout page on homestead . Will these links remain the same ?

http://stores.sunnysiderecordstore.co...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,558 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The URLs to those pages will change. So, if you have links to any internal pages from other sources, you'll want to update those once your new store is up and running.

Mike
Photo of Christine2988

Christine2988

Is there a way to download a product file with all the new links so that I can update my other database in bulk?
Photo of Christine2988

Christine2988

Where do i find the format of the files to upload the products in CSV...
Photo of Christine2988

Christine2988

Will my existing customers be able to sign in with their existing ID and passwords or will they have to recreate them?
Photo of Stephanie9754

Stephanie9754

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
If there is a 3 week turn-around and we are required to convert by December 31, does that mean we will be off line for weeks?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Your store is done. You'll want to bookmark this url: http://store-ay15ft.mybigcommerce.com/ then to set your password and log in, use: https://store-ay15ft.mybigcommerce.co...

Once you set your password and get logged in. Be sure to visit this page and complete the 4 required steps. https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of Dan4083

Dan4083

• 60 Points
I never received the email to switch over to bigcommrce can someone email the details out to me again
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hello Dan4083, Here is your url http://store-nih213kp.mybigcommerce.c...

Be sure to click the "forgot password" link to set your password.
Photo of Antioxidant

Antioxidant

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
What do I do if my store was designed by Homestead?

I paid ~ $1500.00 in 2010 to Intuit Website Design Services for designing my two sites which are hybridized with a bunch of links from and to each other - heavily hybridized.
www.opc-1-2-3.com (content site) and stores.antioxidant.name

As time passed by, I paid another $600.00 gradually for refining the store and correcting the problems. If the store is transferred, my loss is more than $2100 plus so much time I have spent on serving the two websites. I need Homestead to address my loss.

Thanks.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hello Sengen3628, Since you have a custom site, we'll be having one of our consultants give you a phone call to discuss this. Much of the existing content will easily import, but we'll have to discuss other details. Fortunately, the new Bigcommerce system is far superior that you'll likely end up with an even better looking site with more functionality and much more SEO friendly.

Mike
Photo of Antioxidant

Antioxidant

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Mike,
Thanks for the quick response.
This issue here is more complicated to synchronize the two sites.
Any way, I am looking forwrd to your call.
Kind regards,
Photo of Betty9214

Betty9214

• 60 Points
My website was also designed by Intuit. I have my special logo and colors on my home page. Do I lose all that!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We will get your logo transferred, and our migration team will work to give you a store that looks as good or better that what you have now. That being said, looks are often a subjective thing, and if you are unhappy with it when you receive the new store, you are welcome to call us and we will see if we can help you out.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Peter1065

Peter1065

• 864 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Mike I just read the Announcement about the move across to Bigcommerce which is 28 days ago. Sine I joined within that time, is it safe to assume my site is already running under Big commerce? and I don't at some stage have to move across.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

No. This vendor change only affects those with Storefront hosting plans, which use a completely different software package. Your plans is current on the Gold package which uses Homesteads SiteBuilder. This won't affect you at all.

Thanks

Mike
Photo of Linda9586

Linda9586

• 978 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Will I be able to customize my new store site with themes and such before I open it for business? And in the meantime, can my customers continue to use my old store until I am completely ready to open the new one?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Yes. You can customize the theme and continue to use the existing store until you are ready to switch. It is a simple update to the domain DNS records when you are ready to change.

If you want us to give you access to Bigcommerce, just reply here. We will do an export of your products and customer list and import those into the new store. This means that if you add or remove any products, or customers in your existing store, that information will not be reflected in the new BC store.

Once we get your confirmation, it will take us a few days to export your data from the old system, and import it to the new system. After a few days, you'll receive via email, log in instructions for the new store. At that time, you'll be able to go in and customize the site, set up shipping, tax, etc.
Photo of Linda9586

Linda9586

Yes, we would like to begin the process and have access to our new site. Please help me get started.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You are in process. It will take a few days to deliver the new store to you. In the mean time the old store will continue to run as is.

Thanks

Drew
If this post helps, please give me a "Star" and complete this survey to rate my performance.
Photo of Tracy8755

Tracy8755

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'd like to start the process to switch to Bigcommerce now if that is possible. The sooner I can get things processed and ready to go the better. Thank you.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I will get it started for you.

Drew
Photo of Angela7298

Angela7298

• 70 Points
I responded to the Homestead email asking for my site to be transitioned but have had no response. When can I expect something?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Angela, I just checked and it looks like they are still needing to unpack all of the data (products, categories, customer list), into the new store. Right now this is about a 3 week process and according to Drew's notes above you've already reached the two week mark so I expect this to be done in the next few days.

I did notice that the data from the old store was just exported today, so it's likely it will take the full three weeks.

Mike
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry for any confusion Angela. Drew's notes above were for another customer. When did you send your email request?

Mike
Photo of Angela7298

Angela7298

• 70 Points
10/23/13 The same day I got the notice from Homestead. I've removed all but a handful of products from the store in anticipation of our own changes so the timing is good but I want to be sure we are in the queue and I'd like to start building the new look/feel.
Angie
Photo of Mark8942

Mark8942

• 60 Points
The most important part of our store is the Wish List function which we use as a gift registry. Will the new platform support this same functionality? All the example stores on Big Commerce that I viewed have a PRIVATE wish list, but no public wish lists that I could find. This is a big difference for us.

Thanks. I don't envy the amount of upset people you'll have to deal with for the next two months Drew. :-)
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I don't think this will work for your needs. This is more of a private wishlist. It's sort of like adding items to your cart for later purchase.
Photo of Thomas9351

Thomas9351

• 634 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have a couple of quick clarification questions.

1)The full switch over happens on Jan 14th, but content from our ProStores site needs to be transferred to Bigcommerce by Dec. 31st, correct?

2)Since a bigcommerce site has already been created for us as of earlier this month that includes most of the content from Prostores, what are we supposed to do now to ensure that content not transferred over is moved. Do we need to contact the migration team 1v1?

3)If we want to make changes to content in our current store (prostores), do we have to do it in Bigcommerce or can we do it in Prostores and it will be automatically transferred over to Bigcommerce by Dec 31st?

thank you
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

1) The full switch happens when you decide to switch your DNS or when we switch it for you. At this time the date for that is December 31st.

2)What do you mean most of the content?

3)Anything you change in content, product information will need to be done in both stores.

Drew
Photo of Thomas9351

Thomas9351

• 634 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
2) Well, on my new bigcommerce homepage, the Norton secured logo is missing and didn't transfer over from here http://stores.hvacexpress.com/StoreFr...

Another examples is the text content at the top of this page on my prostores page didn't transfer over to bigcommerce http://stores.hvacexpress.com/-strse-...

So, I'm guessing I need to work with the transition team on getting this content synced?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hello, I added the text and can place it above the carousel if you prefer.

We can't move the Norton at this time. I am not sure how they work, you will have to check with them. The label is tied to the URL. When you move the domain the URL will move and we might be able to change it then, but you also might have to reverify with Norton.

Drew
Photo of Andre O2184

Andre O2184

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hello, we have transfered my data about a week ago. But unfortuntaley we have lost all of the data today due to import/export screw up. Is there anyway that you can re-transfer my Homestead Data and images to Bigcommerce? Thank you.
Photo of Aviesha2278

Aviesha2278

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
When will I be contacted about moving to BigCommerce? I have put everything with my storefront on hold since getting the news.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Please read the information on the following thread, and if you wish to convert, use the email address in the response; https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of Aviesha2278

Aviesha2278

Thanks!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Official Response
At this time there is currently about a 3 week turn-around time in converting storefront accounts to the new system, however, if you would like to opt int and have us start the conversion you can send an email to hsmigrationteam@maileig.com In your email please include the email address associated with your account as well as the store name, or domain name for the store you wish to convert.
Photo of Timothy4918

Timothy4918

I'm confused about how this transition will happen. Once we email to "Opt In," will we be able to customize, configure, and test the new BigCommerce site before completing the transition from ProStores? The FAQ is unclear on the details of how this works. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Also....what if we don't email to "Opt In?" Will the store be converted automatically, or will it simply be shut down?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Yes, you'll be in control of when the new store goes live. There is a process for associating the domain name with the new site, and closing the old one down when you are ready.

Mike
Photo of Ken7438

Ken7438

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Please excuse me but I am somewhat frustrated at the moment. I work for a small company and I have been slowly working on bringing our store online.

I hadn't heard a single word about any of this until I logged in to work on our store and was meet with this "IMPORTANT: Your Storefront is being moved to a new system. Be sure to finish your setup to avoid interruptions to your online store. Click here to learn more about the transition and your next steps."

And now you're saying we have to change it over to bigcommerce and that I won't be able to work on it for three weeks? I'm sorry but that's really unacceptable. The next three weeks are our slow season and I was hoping to finish this up. We weren't even told about when you switched from intuit.com to homestead.

Can someone please get into contact with me explaining why we were never notified and what we can do at this point? My email is kgtoner@gmail.com.

I apologize if I do not understand the situation correctly but this is frustrating.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hi Ken7483, I'm sorry you are just now learning about this. We have actually sent a series of emails over several months notifying all of our customers of the changes we've been going through including the transition from Intuit, the switch to Bigcommerce for storefront websites and also our conversion to a new email platform. If you have not been getting those email then there is always a chance that they are going into your junk/spam folder.

We have created numerous FAQ and Announcement pages here on the Community as well. This page will probably answer most of your questions: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

From that page you'll see several other linked help topics where you can get more information or ask questions.

We'll do our best to help you through this transition.

Mike
Photo of Ken7438

Ken7438

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mike,

I've received emails just fine from you in the past, so I don't understand how my spam filter could stop every one of your emails regarding this topic. Also I don't visit the community page unless their is a problem, so that's why this morning was the first time I ever received any notification of this which is very troubling and irritating. I don't know if you sent these notifications from a different email address then you've sent out stuff in the past, but even so I have zero emails from you guys in my spam folder, which keeps everything for over a month.

The questions I have is:

1. Can I continue to add products to my website and work on it while its transferred over? We don't have have the website up and active at the moment, we're still working on adding our entire catalog our items online. If I can continue to update our product catalog while the data is being transfered between servers then it won't be such a big deal and I may have over reacted.

2. Is there someway you can send up another email update with this? I am interested to know if there is a problem with my email's spam filter or some other setting, or if there is a problem on your end. I would like to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again. But then I didn't receive any warning that you were switching from Inuit to Homestead either until it crashed our website and made the store inaccessible.

Thanks
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You can continue to add products and manage your existing store, however, you'll have to re-add those products to the new store, as the data is only exported and transferred one time.

I don't have a way to re-send the original emails, but, I do have links to the Announcements which those emails linked to. Here are the links to the 3 major announcements:

https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Photo of Jill1739

Jill1739

• 1,860 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I was wondering if it is a good idea to delete my old sitemaps from google and bing or just leave them.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I would leave them for a month or two. It won't hurt anything to leave them because of the 301 redirects that were set up. But after a month or two Google will likely have indexed all the new pages so you could get rid of them down the road if you wish.
Photo of Stephanie9754

Stephanie9754

We use Homestead for our SEO. Will that program continue and if so what changes will they make to accommodate the new site?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you are already enrolled in an SEO program, it will continue. There really aren't any significant changes that will occur as far as our process goes, but if you are curious about anything in particular let us know.

Mike
Photo of Stephanie9754

Stephanie9754

Most of our products migrated to the new site. I need to edit some of them however. When I choose a product to edit, I cannot see the description that shows on the website in the description area, plus I am not able to write in this area. How can I see the description text and edit it?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You should be able to edit the description once you click on the product,as pictured below. What happens when you try?

Photo of Linda9586

Linda9586

I'm having the same problem as Stephanie. When I click on the product to edit the description, there is no text in the description box and I can't place a curser in the box to type anything. How do I fix this? This is the same for all the products I have tried. I need to update some of them ASAP as some of the values have changed.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

What browser are you using? If it is Internet Explorer or Safari, try Firefox or Chrome.

Drew
Photo of Stephanie9754

Stephanie9754

I tried Chrome and it worked. Thanks!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Great.
Photo of Regina8914

Regina8914

• 60 Points
I'm trying to add products to my BigCommerce store. When I click to add products, I'm returned to Getting Started tab.

Is there a reason for this? I wanted to create a few products so I can do an import on the remaining products through Excel.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

It looks like you are using the IE web browser. I've heard complaints form some users that it's not very compatible with the BC site. Try using the Firefox browser and let me know if you still have the problem.

Mike
Photo of Julia0010

Julia0010

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I suggest you move my data quickly because I'm still charged for the monthly fee and my store is inoperable. I'm losing money and business at the same time.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Julia0010,

Can you tell us where exactly you are stuck? Your store was migrated to the new system in Nov. 2013.
Photo of Julia0010

Julia0010

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Why don't you answer the calls and put people on hold while being charged for long distance calls? This is so pathetic...
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Julia0010, Sorry if you are having a hard time getting a hold of someone. If you explain your question or problem with some detail we'll be happy to help you out.

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.