What is the best practice for preserving current site's search engine ranking & backlinks when rebuilding site with new Websitebuilder?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archive

What is the best way to go about re-building a current site built with Sitebuilder Plus into the new, updated site built with the new Websitebuilder so that it preserves current search engine ranking and so that any existing backlinks will still work? And if I currently have a domain name associated with the current Sitebuilder Plus site, when & how do I go about associating that domain name with the new Websitebuilder version of the site? I haven't started anything yet. I thought I'd better find all of that info out first before I begin rebuilding the site with the new software.    
Photo of angela5374

angela5374

• 500 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
HI Angela, New ground for us all with the new websitebuilder with SB+ websites but, as I understand it, your old version website will still be editable under sitebuilder + whilst you recreate your website in the new builder. Search engines and back links are to your domain name ( unless you pasted your .homestead urlinto them) so all should remain intact. Once your new website is finished, you redirect your domain name to the .homesteadcloud URL..but the domain name is still the same so all links etc should continue as before. As I said, this is how I understand it, but I am open to correction from the tech guys at Homestead.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Brian, you are mostly right, but anytime you do a major redesign of a website, you will take something of a hit. If while building the new site, you pay attention to all the SEO options and make good additions in these areas, then it should not affect you to much. Also, the combination of the SEO tools, the cleanliness of the code and the responsive design will all help you recover quickly.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Many thanks Drew. building websites used to be simple. SEO has got very complicated, bless you google...Still,,,, learning something new every day. However at 64 nothing is done quickly, especially recovery...:)
Photo of angela5374

angela5374

Thank you Brian and Drew for your responses. It's not good news for my current search engine ranking but hopefully the new platform will be an improvement in the end. Do either of you know how to best approach building the site error 404 pages with the website builder and any other such things to build into the new site in case any old links don't work on the new site? Would you do that by simply naming a new page with the filename of yourdomainname.com/siteerror404.html ? Would that do it or is it more complicated than that?  Are there any other error pages that should also be built?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The behavior I have seen is that a siteerror page is unecessary. If they go to a page that does not exist, they will be sent to the homepage.
Photo of angela5374

angela5374

That is awesome. Thank you for the good news Drew