What does "data migration" mean?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

What exactly does this "data migration" do?  Are you transferring all data to another digital location resulting in possible loss of information?  

It clearly is effecting most, if not all, of the Homestead customers - I am experiencing slow loading time and inability to upload pictures.  I admit, it is not as crucial as those who's business depends on online sales or the like. 

If it is some sort of routine data transfer, and the company new about it, they should have notified customers well before action was taken.  Would have avoided all the fuss and annoyance felt by all. 

If it is an unexpected complication, please inform customers in a general email as to what is going on.  Most of us do not understand what phrases like "data migration" mean.  Please help us understand what is going on.  

Thank you
Photo of Tim2622

Tim2622

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • confused

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Leah3842

Leah3842

• 966 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
They are moving all data to better, faster sources that will do a better job.  You are not still using your old XP, are you?  Still have that beta VCR?  Exactamente! (;>
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

• 1,322 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
seriously, are you trying to be flippant about this whole thing. Tim is right, none of us understand what is going on or WHY they would do this just before Christmas. This has caused a lot of havoc for a lot of us, not just in stress, but financially, but that doesnt' mean we must be using the old windows xp or our beta vcr's.. really? how rude..
Photo of Leah3842

Leah3842

I had the same problem and then found out Homestead has been acquired by a major company who is transferring all our sites to their own servers for faster service. Homestead is not doing this, their new parent company is, Homestead is just the messenger who is taking all the flack. I don't work for Homestead, I am just a customer like you who is trying to get the word out to customers so they don't think the problem is with their sites.  
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
1) We have not run into any case as of yet where any data has been lost, but yes, customer accounts and Sitebuilder servers are being digitally moved to a completely new location.

2) Not that even 1 affected person is a good thing, but actually, most Homestead customers have remained unaffected. Let's say there were 200 people reporting this issue in the community. More than 10 percent of customers make it to this community, so let's assume 2000 affected accounts(I think that a high estimate). It is still a small percentage of the hundreds of thousands of customers that host websites with Homestead. Again, even 1 account is more than we want, but when words like most or vast majority are used, it just isn't the case.

3) It is by no means routine. Switching data centers is a big deal. I think the impact on these accounts was more severe than anticipated. I agree that greater notice should have been provided. I posted the updates I did as soon as I received them. We are currently in the process of analyzing the comments made by you folks and on chats and phones to see the results and what could have been done better, in case this needs to be done again in the future.

4) It was anticipated that there would be slowness during the time of the data migration. Principally because of the massive amount of data. I'm sure you have been in a location where you were the only one on the Internet connection and everything went really quickly, but then you get a bunch of others over and they all hop on your network and start streaming movies or playing video games or something like that. Things slow down.

5) General emails pose their own problems as well. They can be blocked along the way. A customer's account has an old email address associate to it. Some people just delete it or maybe go to spam. The most reliable way to see updates is to come to the community as this is the first place we post updates. I am looking into a way that you can subscribe to updates here and get emails if you want them. Updates also go on the Facebook page and http://status.homestead.com, so you can follow those as well. I could consider Tweeting a link to the update as well for those who wish to use Twitter.

Does this help?

Drew
Photo of Hugh

Hugh

• 1,138 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

I think you should just copy and paste this letter to all those with their panties in a knot.

Photo of Russ3073

Russ3073

• 688 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hey Hugh,
Do you have 100 websites on your account?  Do you have local businesses threatening to sue you because you can't update their website during the busy christmas season....is this "migration" causing you extreme financial hardship? If not then shut the hell up.
Photo of Paul8440

Paul8440

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can you just give us an estimate when we can get back to normal. If never... then just tell us and i'll be the first to move to another site builder.... Just please tell us an estimate.... go to my site I am building and have many new visitors..... www.discoverabiz.com and look at what's happened to every page.... just tell me if I should move on to another builder... please
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Paul8440,

I still can't give you a day, but I can tell you it will be a few more days to finish moving all the data. Finishing that should help a great deal, but there will still be some work to do through the end of the month.

Drew
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

• 1,596 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Drew,
Can I ask Homestead to do us a favor in these painful moments that a small amount of your clients (according to what you say above) are suffering presently, including myself for the past few weeks.  Can you please remove the automatic logoff after session has been pending inactive.  You see, it takes so long to log in and to go thru each individual command with Homestead, that while waiting for a response back from Homestead, I leave it active in the back and do some other work. But often, too often, when I come back to resume my work, the session has been logged off and I need another 5 minutes to log in.   PPPPPPLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
André Patry
andrepatry (userid)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Since you asked so nicely...

Actually, I am not able to stop that, but I can check with the developers to see if it can be done simply and quickly.

Drew
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

I appreciate.  thanks
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Sure. I'll let you know what they tell me.
Photo of andre1708

andre1708

Looks like Developers have removed the automatic logoff.  This morning, my session took forever to load and it was never logged off.  T. This is the first time that Homestead has responded quickly and effectively to one of my request.
hanks Drew.  Much appreciated
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

andre1708,

They hadn't notified me of that yet, but I am glad that helps. It shouldn't be much longer.

Drew
Photo of Leah3842

Leah3842

LOL, thanks for the laugh, Andre, I see you have not lost your sense of humor!  (;>  I agree.
Photo of Jeannie5233

Jeannie5233

• 986 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I too have seen a big problem with form data submissions not arriving to my email address for several weeks now (and most likely for the past year).  This is posing a huge problem for me and all the people who use and depend on my website functioning properly (as it has for most of the past 12 years that I've been a Homestead customer).  Please fix this or advise me of what I can do to solve the ongoing problem of form submissions not coming through.
Photo of Jeannie5233

Jeannie5233

Now it appears I'm not receiving all of my normal emails either.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Can you use a different email to send to your address, and then post the header(source) from the sent folder of the sending address? We can use that to track what is happening.

Drew
Photo of Jeannie5233

Jeannie5233

Regular emails are coming through now but still not receiving the form submissions to email.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.