WebsiteBuilder: Sitemap

  • 1
  • 1
  • Article
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • (Edited)
Homestead Websitebuilder creates and publishes the sitemap.xml file automatically for you. There is no longer a need to generate it and upload to the site. You can view your sitemap by going to http://www.yourdomain/sitemap.xml
Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

  • 42,836 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

  • 1
  • 1
Photo of A.

A.

  • 358 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi!  :)

Is there a way to view the sitemap of an unpublished site? (A Websitebuilder site.)


Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

  • 44,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi there,

No the site would have to be published for the sitemap to be available.
Photo of Claude4406

Claude4406

  • 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
After a bit more investigation on the sitemap issue (my first post doesn't show yet). I see Homestead is using the generator at sitemaps.org. I used this service independently to check if it came up with differences, and there are a few. But, I noticed my homestead URLs are updating every page to the same <lastmod> date (today). I didn't change them all. Is this correct?
Photo of Claude4406

Claude4406

  • 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
See and read next post first:
Photo of Claude4406

Claude4406

  • 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I tried raising this issue with support. Unfortunately, I got a man who I don't trust to either understand the issue, understand the importance of the issue, or know how to elevate the issue. Usually I get a woman on the line and they've been uniformly great (and I am a man). So, I decided to document the issue here as I believe I'll get a better chance at response:

The issue pertains to Google Search Console and sitemaps generated by the new website builder. All my sites have been verified for ownership in the GSC. I also submitted the location (path and name) for the sitemaps and they show correctly in the GSC. But every page I inspected initially showed it wasn't indexed and that they were not submitted in the sitemap. I manually, individually submitted every page URL for indexing and that worked. Except the GSC now reports that they are INDEXED, NOT SUBMITTED IN SITEMAP and DISCOVERY: SITEMAPS N/A.

As you may imagine, to me this is a critical issue. Perhaps I don't understand what I'm looking at in the GSC. But seems wrong. Incidentally, I looked at the sitemaps and they appear correct, although I've seen other formats, so I can't verify correctness by inspection. I did see one issue, for my blog entries the lastmod date property is incorrect, defaulting to 2015-08-13 and I believe that is a problem and should also be fixed.

Here is a an image of what I'm seeing in GSC:
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

  • 12,538 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

If your concerns are in relation to it showing indexed, not submitted in sitemap. All you will need to do is select sitemaps from the left and submit the site map url which in your case is http://www.accessrite.com/sitemap.xml.
Photo of Claude4406

Claude4406

  • 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have done that several times - doesn't work, that's my point. Please get back to me with an answer. I think this is a huge issue, as it affects all four of my sites and probably many more. Please get with me to screen share and I'll show you what I mean. Otherwise, via private email, I can give you access to my Google Search Console so your team can see what I'm talking about. I did some further exploration and find that Google thinks there are actually double the number there actually are and is marking half as duplicates. I posted more about this under a general SEO question and am waiting for an answer there. Perhaps the two threads should be merged.