Website view issue

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I hope I can adequately explain this question.   When on other sites, I realize changing the window size/view shrinks the entire view, while on my sites, shrinking cuts off the site.  Is there a setting I can select to prevent this from happening? 

To explain it a bit better, if I hover my cursor over the side of my browser window, an arrow appears.  If I click on that arrow, I can reduce my screen size, horizontally.   When I reduce it, the view condenses along with my scrolling action.   However, when I do the same thing on my websites, instead of condensing the view, it simply cuts the view off. 

I really appreciate your help with this and hope I have explained it adequately.  It's definitely one of those situations where it's difficult to explain but easy to show...

Also, this is not on any particular website but is an issue on all of my sites so I'm hoping it may just be a setting I am not seeing/understanding. 

Photo of Amy6613

Amy6613

• 860 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,102 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

I definitely understand what you are referring to! This is called a responsive design. This is available on any Website Builder site, which I see you have a few, but is not available on Sitebuilder Plus. This is because the responsive design you want is a newer feature for website building, and was not as important when the old builder was relevant. For example, your website for Kate Laine Music is on Website Builder, and will adjust if you reduce the window size. You can definitely rebuild your Sitebuilder Plus site in Website Builder to get that responsive feature.

(Edited)
Photo of Amy6613

Amy6613

Thank you so much!  I was hoping someone would understand my question.  This is the site I am currently working on:   https://bythetree.homesteadcloud.com/ 

So it wouldn't "shrink" to the extent that the two book graphics on each side would not be cut off, correct?  

Thanks again for your help :)

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 42,806 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Oh okay so that is a Website Builder site. The website will adjust to a point, but it will not shrink the elements to display. If the window becomes too small, those images will cut off.
Photo of Amy6613

Amy6613

Thank you Elyzabeth.  I truly appreciate your help! :)
Photo of Kirk8006

Kirk8006

• 546 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Amy6613, I think the effect you're seeing on other websites and talking about is 'Fluid Design'. I asked the guys at Homestead about this awhile back just to clarify.

My understanding is that The current Website Builder is 'responsive design' but not fully fluid responsive so you have to take that into account when designing your new site. Keeping within the boundaries for the majority of your key site elements. I had a quick look at your site and you can take positives from the fact that the elements sat outside the boundaries will still be seen by people who have larger Monitors and screen resolutions.

I'm currently designing a new site which would be perfect for fluid design having a spacious layout across the the whole page. As a compromise Iv'e adapted my design idea to have all key site elements within the boundaries and anything that is sat outside is more just for cosmetic looks. Not everybody will see the full design but people with larger resolutions will get the full picture. And it seems that more and more people are switching the larger desktop screens these days.       
Photo of Amy6613

Amy6613

Thank you Kirk for taking the time to explain this to me.  I appreciate you looking at my site and your kind comments too.   Would you be able to give me some guidance in what to do to adapt my future designs to meet this standard?   Do you just keep the view at the "standard" frame size and put all the elements within those boundaries?   Any tips you could give me would sure be appreciated.   I really want my websites to exceed expectations and look as professional as possible.  

Thank you again for your help and kindness :)
Photo of Kirk8006

Kirk8006

• 546 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You're welcome Amy. Glad I can be of some help. 

I know what it's like, when you have a vision of how you want your site to look like it sometimes takes a bit of compromise to get the desired results. That's part of the fun though, and you learn more about the software as you go on experimenting with ideas too.

Certainly keep withing the boundaries for all the key elements. To be fair your're already well on the right track with your page you have made. Having the banner which stretches right accords the top gives the impression of a professionally designed website. Having solid colors or faint background images accords the whole page is the way to go, it gives the viewer the impression that the page is a fluid design without actually being one. As long as your main content is kept within the boundaries then no matter what resolution the viewer has they will always see the main elements which are key to your pages operation. The background colors and such will always be there in some form depending on what resolution the viewer is looking at your page from.

Take a look at these websites below with your designs at any time, they are useful to get an idea of how your page might look like to different people with different resolutions_

http://whatismyscreenresolution.net/multi-screen-test

http://quirktools.com/screenfly/

Do bare in mind that anything smaller than a tablet view on the above mentioned websites won't necessarily give you the actually correct view as the Homestead Website Builder resizes our pages when a mobile viewer has been detected, something these websites above don't pick up on. You don't need to worry about that though as the Website Builder software has the mobile view built in so you have that covered.

Another tip which might help, is to create a few random new tester websites in the homestead cloud through the web builder software on your account, Go through and pick a few of the pre made templates and take note of the layouts when it comes to block shapes and design layouts. It can give you an idea into how the Homestead Software can be used to create a professional looking design that although is restricted to certain boundaries can be made to look like a full page layout.

Hope some of my explanations above make sense.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.