Website elements showing off the screen when it is published

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: 7 days of inactivity

On some older monitors or computers, website is showing to be zoomed in. Elements are being cut off. Tried different browser getting same issue. When I use my laptop to work on pages, I have to change the zoom level to 75 % even to use the Website builder. Is there a way to make it automatically choose the correct resolution or zoom level?
Photo of Jacob2519

Jacob2519

• 70 Points

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

• 6,516 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
On Website Builder, make sure all your elements are within those little dotted lines/guides.  Although the background shows all the way to the end, if elements, text, logos, etc. are outside those lines things will get cut off.  
Photo of Ron4051

Ron4051

• 352 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
IN ONE CASE
When I open my website normally, the HTML file comes up in the normal way.  Yet when I go to Homestead SiteBuilder to edit that page (Index) I cannot find that HTML file.

IN ANOTHER CASE
When I open my website normally, the HTML file that is supposed to come up, brings up a totally blank screen and eventually says it can't find that file.  I created it and it worked when I did so. 

QUALIFICATION
My original website was created over 20 years ago.  Could that be a factor.
Some of it I've changed over time, but not all of it.

Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

If you built this over 20 years ago, you are probably not using WebsiteBuilder.  The old old old programs have a terrible time keeping up with today's operating systems.  They are just old and tired I guess.  It might be time to consider building in the new Website Builder.  You can't just transfer it, as it is totally different and cloud-based.  It will seem a little overwhelming at first, as the tools are all different, but it is so much better, resizes for all screens and is editable separately for mobile (if needed).   The best thing to do is set up your new site on Website Builder, download your files from the old builder to a folder easily accessed and then copy and paste your text into the new platform.  It won't take that long, I promise.  I have transferred/rebuilt at least a dozen sites over the past few years.  And we all seem to have a little time on our hands for awhile, eh?

Photo of Ron4051

Ron4051

OK, I get that.  Eh!
Why then are some files still in there and work, while others don't?
I've made changes to the INDEX using SIteBuilder and they were fine.
Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

Why some work and others don't I can't answer.  Take a peek at the new templates and see if there is anything you like.  I'll bet there is!  Good luck!!
Photo of Ron4051

Ron4051

Thanks anyway.  I'll have to work on it.
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 35,652 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello Jacob,

In WebsiteBuilder, make sure all elements are within the vertical responsive dotted guidelines. This ensures the content adjusts to the size monitor it is being viewed on.
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

Hello Ron,

If this code was generated previously it may have become outdated. Sometimes HTML codes do need to be regenerated to work on updated platforms. 
Photo of Ron4051

Ron4051

I'm sure all the above is true.  I waited too late to update my older site.  My computer has been updated many times, including the newer versions of the SiteBuilder.  There was one I really didn't like, not the latest one but the one before that.  It was unmanageable and quirky. 
Thanks for you time and expertise on this.  I'll work on it, especially now that I have more time and less to do, even if I am retired. 
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

You are welcome, it sounds like the perfect time to look into it. :)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.