website domain pointng

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content

When I point my domain name to a new website, that website takes on that domain name and address. The website I'm pointing away from reverts back to the homesteadcloud.com address, right? Would there be a way of changing the name? Like, lets say, dick.homesteadcloud.com to frank.homsteadcloud.com?
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

• 2,294 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 40,144 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Correct, it does revert to the .homesteadcloud.com site name. If you want to change it, you can do so under Websites Manager in your Homestead account. Under the site, there will be the option to rename.
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

I want to point my domain name to my new square space site and keep the websitebuilder site as a catalogue. I can change the websitbuiler site's name but don't see an option to point the domain to the new site. Is there one?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 39,726 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes, you can point your domain many ways. Are you planning on pointing the domain via nameservers, IP address, or domain URL pointing?
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

Right now I think I want to point so that the square space site becomes caribooblades.
The homestead site reverts back to it's homesteadcloud address. I think the websitebuilder site is good as our catalogue. Square Space provides a great feature site.

I'd like Homestead to host my domain and the homesteadcloud site for now. I keep my caribooblades.com email addresses, workingart.space at Square Space becomes caribooblades.com.
I'm trying to salvage and get some of our images back into circulation.
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

I definitely understand. I am sorry if I wasn't clear with my question. In order to give you the proper instructions, I need to know what method you are planning to use to point the domain name to your Squarespace site. You can either just point the domain name to the site name, change the IP address the site is pointing to, or change the nameservers to Squarespace nameservers. I cannot tell you which to choose, but if you are wanting to keep email with Homestead, the IP address is probably your best bet. You would need to get that information from Squarespace.
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

Squarespace setup to connect is asking who would the name of the domain provider be?
Thanks

Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

I found a step by step guide to connect to the Squarespace site to the domain.
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

I guess to access the dns setting I'll need to change the nameservers back fro cloudfare?
After that I guess I'd go back and secure homesteadcloud with cloudfare
(Edited)
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

Is the Squarespace support article my best option?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

You can keep your nameservers pointed to Cloudflare if you still would like to have an SSL, you would just need to update your DNS through that account. You can also move it back to our nameservers if you would like, ultimately that is a decision you have to make. You just need to get the DNS from Squarespace that needs to be updated.
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

I've got them. Would there be instructions?
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

srcfp8gkxp2ysfxgpz2d CNAME verify.squarespace.com Record not found             www  CNAME    ext-cust.squarespace.com       104.27.144.59
www  CNAME     ext-cust.squarespace.com      104.27.145.59
www   AAAA                                                   2606:4700:30:0:0:0:681b:913b
www   AAAA                                                   2606:4700:30:0:0:0:681b:903b
@         A                                                       198.185.159.144216.40.47.17
@         A          198.185.159.145                     2606:4700:30:0:0:0:681b:913b
@         A        198.49.23.144                           2606:4700:30:0:0:0:681b:903b
@         A         198.49.23.145                           Record not found
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Give me a moment, I will add those for you.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

We cannot do AAAA records, by the way, so I will simply omit those.
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

Thanks,
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

In the instructions from Squarespace,
srcfp8gkxp2ysfxgpz2d   CNAME   verify.squarespace.com, they say is the first item I should enter.
I have no idea and am just learning now. Just curious.

Is there any update on image indexing?

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

OK, I have added that record as well. I will ask Drew on the image indexing, but not that I have heard of. They are still testing it.
(Edited)
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

When I search caribooblades, my squarespace site comes up with the squarespace name. Is there a way of having come up caribooblades.
Also, on the websitebuilder site can I now change the name?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Unfortunately, you would need to talk to Squarespace about that one. I just put in the DNS you gave me from them. I cannot control what that DNS does with your domain.
You change the name of the site with the rename option under the Websites Manager tab in your account.
(Edited)
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

I tried to put caribooblades back here but I think I got the dns settings wrong.
Could you check it out for me please.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

So you are pointing the domain back to Homstead now?
The DNS settings are correct for that
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

I am. The job of switching to squarespace at the moment is much bigger than anticipated. Don't have time to do a good job.I'm keeping workingart.space as a feature site. 
We're fighting to survive here. It would be nice for Homestead to get the image indexing problem fixed. To say the least. Thanks
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

My domain caribooblades is not up. It's been 2 days. What do you think the problem is? Is there any word about the indexing problem?
It is quite something, for 11 years everything here was good. Our business was growing.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

The site is working for me. It is possible it is caching on your end. I would try to clear your cache or use a private browser.
There is no update on the indexing issue. I will let you know when there is an update.
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

Tried google and firefox, clearing cache, private window and this is what I get,
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

By the way, the homesteadcloud version of the site is working.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Aki,

It might be caching in your router or through your ISP. Everyone here at Homestead can pull up your website and I was able to pull it up on my phone which is completely disconnected from Homestead. Your website is definitely working.
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

ok, it's working. Great.
It's not secure though, http. I'm pulling up the homesteadcloud version as well, it's secure. ?.
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

I understand now why it wasn't coming up for me. I was trying to call it's address https. The site only comes up as insecure. How can I fix this?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,676 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am working on this for you. When the DNS was reset it reset to the not secure. I am getting them updated now, but it could take some propagation time.
As for the indexing, it is in testing and will likely be released soon from the comments I see from the developers. I am trying to confirm that right now.
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

Sounds good. I have to leave soon. Instead of bringing in our wood and some other winter prep, I'm doing this stuff.
Photo of Aki5540

Aki5540

It's up.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.