Please create more sophisticated site statistics tracking?

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive. If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it. You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

Why are my website statistics wrong? In the visit details, there is no load time and no time spent
recorded on many visits. Today I was in a meeting showing my electric bikes to the Gateway EV club but the time stamp was recorded but no load time or time spent for my product page even though we visited for over 20 minutes. I need to know how much time visitors stay on my products page to guide my page design. www.USAebikes.com

Photo of Daniel8758

Daniel8758

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Daniel8758,

I visited this morning and kept refreshing the stats and it seemed to register my visit and page views just fine.  It doesn't necessarily update in real time.  There is a slight delay.  Does it still not register your visit?

If the visitor doesn't let the first page load completely, then it might not register a visit, but if they are on your page it should show up.

Drew
Photo of Daniel8758

Daniel8758

I checked on that known visit (from the St Louis Science Center) several hours after viewing my site. The information (visit details) was correct for the index page, but no load time or visit time for the product page. So was not a real time issue. What are other reasons for visits not to be recorded  completely?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am looking into this now.  It might be that a Firewall or proxy server could prevent the visit being registered.  I will update you when I have some more information.

Drew
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Daniel8758,

How did you navigate to the page when visiting.  The Time spent is derived, not counted in normal time.  It is calculated on the time between 2 page views on your site, so if a customer or yourself goes directly to a page and stays for 20 minutes, but then closes the browser without visiting a second page, then you will get no time spent.  Could that have happened?

Drew
Photo of Daniel8758

Daniel8758

It seems than that the time spent on the last page visited will NOT be recorded. I tested that, I spent 2 minutes on my product page before leaving using a link on that page. What kind of system is that? the real time I went on the product page was 2 minutes, time spent is blank. The time spent on my product page is critical to my business.The time arrived was 11 PM Central Time from my wife's computer.

Can you get your programmers to fix that? Seems like a major bug.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We'll be happy to take a look at this. For the instance you described above, can you confirm how you accessed the page, ie. a link on the navigation menu, or typing in the url manually, or from a book mark etc?  Also can you confirm which link you clicked when you left the page?

Mike
Photo of Daniel8758

Daniel8758

I got there from the contact page, a link on the navigation menu. I left by clicking on the border top right linked to the bike's maker after staying for 2 minutes. I renamed the visit. Thanks for your continued support.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Daniel8758,   This is basically what Drew explained above. The system is only able to calculate the time between two pages on your own site. Since you exited the page by clicking a link to a 3rd party site, it can't calculate the time on that last page.  I'm not sure how complex it is to change the programing on this tool but we'll change this post to an "Idea" topic so that our developers can gauge the interest in changing this.

If you are looking for something that is more accurate and more sophisitcated, we highly recommend using Google Analytics.  It is one of the very best available and free.

http://www.google.com/analytics/

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.