web site down! email down!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

web site and email are both down. please advise. seems like it might be exclusive to west coast. not sure. 
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

• 3,144 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
My sites are up - I'm in Montana so perhaps you're right about it being a regional thing.
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

can you do me a favor please? check:

wix.com

and

thecrickethillcompany.com

and see if you can log in to email please

thank you.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

wix.com and thecrickethillcompany.com both come up for me.
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

really? thank you Susan. someone else is having the same issue in another thread.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I saw the other thread about this. It's a head scratcher ... Drew should be around shortly and may have the answer.
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

i'm in nyc. my office in ohio says both are down. 
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Bill what is the site address?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Nevermind - lol I thought I was on the other person's post. Need more coffee!
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Bill read this post and see if it might apply to your issue.
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/extremely_important_domain_information
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

that has zero to do with this. you are seeing my site and i am not. and, wix is also down. but thank you.
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

everything is back up. all west coast sites. thank christ.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Glad to hear it!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Bill, I read an article that there was a major cyber attack on Twitter, Amazon and a bunch of other sites. The article I saw said the Northeast was the most affected. While it was directed at us, it is possible all the junk traffic disrupted your communications to some sites. I am glad it is all sorted out now.
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

Hi Drew. yes i read that too and figured it was that bc i saw only certain web sites that i knew to be routed a particular way were effected and were visible in other areas. lasted about 35-40 mins. no worries. glad to see your still alive. stay well. bill.

has anyone lost email from Friday?

One of our email accounts apparently has lost email from the hacking Friday 21st.  Can it be retrieved?

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Is it just Friday? If so, then no, they can't be restored. The nature of the attack on the DNS system stopped the Internet from understanding how to route traffic. This means emails had nowhere to go, so our server would never receive them.

So...if someone sent us email on Friday during the problem time, then the emails would have gone on through once things were back to normal?

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

No. Email does not work that way. If it can't find the destination, a message is sent back to the sending server that the message was undelivered. Some mail servers may store those and try to resend the message later, but most do not. It is possible that you might have received some after the issue, but they would have gotten to you by now. If you know of a message sent and not delivered then you would likely need the sender to send it again
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

just an fyi. i got all my emails during the issue. only my site(and many others incl homestead) viewed from this area were down. the two are related but not the same. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry. That is different. If the arrived, then we may be able to restore them. I thought that they never arrived. Do you know when they disappeared?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Oops. Different message.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The effects were different, primarily by region. Some were completely unable, some were unaffected.

As far as we know there was only one important email that was not received Friday.  We have asked the sender to send again.

What we are wondering about is the unknown...what was sent that was important that we will not know until later when we were supposed to have a job finished, or changes to a job, etc...

We will wing it, I guess, hoping that nothing important was missed.  Thanks.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

On a positive note, the sender should have received a message that it was not delivered. Hopefully any unknowns may try again.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.