Using my domain name somewhere else

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I want to use my existing domain with another web building template. How can I do this?
Thanks.
Photo of Ginny4843

Ginny4843

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of SiteBuilderPros

SiteBuilderPros

• 3,628 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ginny4843,

Changing a domains association to a particular site is easy. But I think where this conversation between you and support needs to begin is "the type of account that you have" for the following reason: If you're currently only allowed one site under your account, and you choose a different template for that site, all the work that you've put into that site will be erased. To play it safe, you may have to step-up your level of service temporarily so you're allowed multiple sites, create a new site using a different template, change the domain's site association... then as deemed necessary, step back down to your previous level of service. Now I do understand that you might be ahead of me on this one, and you may already have the option of building multiple sites under your account. But because your post lacks certain details, I just wanted to add an element of precaution so you don't make what could have been a critical error. ~ Hope this helps!

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,718 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ginny4843, Everthing above is correct, but we need some more info. Are you wanting to use the domain with a new template here at Homestead? or point it to another company?

If you are just wanting to pick a new template here at Homestead, then all you need to do is go to the Websites Manager screen, click the link to add a new site, and then once the site is ready, go to the domains manager screen and re-associate the domain with the new site.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate my performance

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Ginny4843

Ginny4843

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I want to use my current domain to point it to another website building template. Not homestead any longer. I am asking here because cutomer service & chat seem to always be done if or the day when I am available. I work a day job.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Official Response
If you want to use your domain with a site at another company, you have two different options.

1. You can point the domain, which means we would still host the domain. Domain hosting without a website is just $14.99 per year.

2. You could transfer the domain to another company.

Option #1 is a little easier and faster. Option #2 can take anywhere from 2-5 days, but once it's done you have the convenience of having both your site and domain hosted at the same company, which can sometimes simplify things like billing and knowing that you only have one company to contact.

Here are the steps for each, but if you have questions we'll be happy to help.

Transfer to another host: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

Point: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate my performance

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Heather4708

Heather4708

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I built my website on intuit but no longer want to use intuit services to host my website, can I still keep/transfer my domain name? If so, how?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Can I keep/transfer my domain name if I stop using intuit services?.
I was wondering if I there was a way to program your own website, is it possible? Or is there a way I change use this domain but use it on another hoster?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Program my own website?.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

It is always possible to program, (or code) your own website as long as you have a server to host the site. However writing code for an entire site can be a bit slow, and complicated which is why even many professional website designers use a software application to speed the process. . If you do decide to create your own site and wish to use your domain with a site at another hosting company, this thread explains the options of pointing vs. transferring your domain.

If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Cheryl8354

Cheryl8354

• 60 Points
Very helpful
LEE

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.