Unknown Site/404 when Index Page Published

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content

I had a separate problem over the weekend and it was resolved, but I don't think I received complete instructions. I requested a new domain name and had questions on the site association defaulting to an incorrect domain name. The associate had me add a new website from the Website Manager and then change the site association which I was able to do. I then created a blank site and published the index page after adding a few images. I tried to open the site and it provides a 404 error and indicates an unknown site. Comparing to my other sites, I noticed the sub-domain is now absent on my domain list. What do I need to correct to get this to publish successfully? Site is coatesvillehistory.org. Thank you.
Photo of Spindys

Spindys

• 354 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 31,668 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

The new Website Builder sites do not have the subdomain options anymore. To correct this 404 error, please follow the instructions in this article:

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/fixing-the-website-builder-404-error
Photo of Spindys

Spindys

I've tried this fix at least a dozen times over the last couple of hours.  No change and 404 still exists.  Everything was closed and laptop even restarted several times.  The website builder was not open anywhere.  Any other ideas?  I'm logging off everything now and will not log in again until I after receive a response and/or further instructions.  Site name is coatesvillehistory.org
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Ok, taking a look in your builder, I don't see that you have anything built for that site. If you log in to your Homestead account, under Websites Manager, you will see the option "Choose Design".
Photo of Spindys

Spindys

Hmm, interesting. I just pulled a design and published it and it works. I had previously started with a blank page and created and published it using Homestead SiteBuilder since that is where I manage all my other sites and that is what was not working. Now that it’s created, can I design this one in Homestead SiteBuilder too? Looks like I now have two designs, one in homestead SiteBuilder and one in website builder. Thank you for the help.
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Oh I understand. No, any new sites are created in this new builder, Website Builder. It will be better for your sites, as the new builder is mobile friendly/responsive and much more modern.
Photo of Spindys

Spindys

One final question. Will my existing websites stay with Homestead SiteBuilder or is there an option to easily convert them to the website builder?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Any sites already built in Sitebuilder will stay in that builder. It is only any new sites that will be in that new builder. If you want to switch any existing site to Website Builder, you will need to rebuild it.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.