Unauthorized ads and hyperlinks have appeared on my website. Why?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

If you suddenly see ads and links appearing on your website pages when you didn't place them there, the reason is that you have installed an add on to your browser that is causing this.  Most of the offenders I have seen have been toolbars.  How do they get installed?  Usually you are installing another program that you need or want, and don't notice in all the "Next" buttons you have to click, that you are actually authorizing other programs to be installed..

You can fix this on your computer by finding and disabling the offending add on.  This is pretty much a trial and error process, but I recommend you disable toolbars first.  The add on management is different in each browser, so if you are not sure where the settings are, use your browser's help center.

Click the link below for an article from an anti spam site.
http://www.spamlaws.com/removing-adware-toolbars.html

Thanks

Drew

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of vkulhavy3663

vkulhavy3663

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Junk ads attached to webpage.

I have ended up with a junk survey attached to our webpage. How do I get rid of that. Also, some of the words on our pages are underlined and go to advertisments. Where does this come from and how do I block it form happening.
Photo of Sharon

Sharon

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Links I didn't include.

How did links I didn't put into my site that lead to other sites get there? I absolutely DO NOT want links on my site I did not put there.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 65,332 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You may have inadvertently imported them with an image.
Photo of Janis8998

Janis8998

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Who gave permission to put all those ad links on my site?.

So typical, my site won't publish but it has no problem linking specific words to advertising. Who gave permission to put links ALL OVER MY SITE???
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The only link that Homestead might place on your site is in the footer and it is easily removed. If you see links all over you have malware in your browser.
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 5,642 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

What Drew says indeed!

Some rotten snakes that need a good old country a** whip!

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/safesearch-net-removal/

Hard to get rid of, wish I could help!

Photo of Martin

Martin

Why in the hell did you post a search link like this?

Your advice is at best... at the bottom of the shelf?

I really don't get it?

Martin Blaney

Guthrie, Oklahoma

(Edited)
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 65,056 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You don't want to pay for it. Your problem is no a Homestead software problem.
Photo of Martin

Martin

I have not paid for anything other than a Homestead website.

Your link is garbage, any moron could post nonsense like you have done?

Martin

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Martin, If you don't find value in another customer's response, then please feel free to ignore it, but do not attack or denigrate people that are simply trying to help. These types of comments are unnecessary and will be removed from now on.
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 65,056 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You want someone to solve your problem. Get help. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Thank you both for your help, but the original poster now has the answer and there does not need to be further back and forth.

Thank you

Drew
Photo of Martin

Martin

At least mine addressed the problem?

Hello?

Photo of mrthomar5041

mrthomar5041

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there a way to remove the Homestead daily deals banner from the top of my site....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Homestead does not place ads at the top of your site. At most we place a removeable message in the footer of the template
Photo of Dianna9062

Dianna9062

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled how do i get advertising links off my webpage.

My webpage has advertising links on some of the words. How do I get them off?
Photo of David2896

David2896

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled why are ad starting to show up on our pages???.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Try looking at browser plugins. Sometimes they can be hard to find.

If you don't find anything, can you specify the site and page? and where you see the ads?
Photo of Judith5045

Judith5045

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled words in the content of my pages have been changed to blue text and are links whi....

Certain words in the content of my web pages have been changed to blue text and are links to I don't know what. I am asking that you review my site and fix these words so they are not links. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Judith5045, I am thinking this is your issue, as I do not see any blue links. I only see links that appear as though they should be there. If you don't find any extensions that cause this, tell me what words are becoming links and on what page(s)
Photo of Judith5045

Judith5045

The words in blue are as follows:

Home Page – photographs, health records, pamphlets, packet, average person

Photo Album – photo album, pointed, award winner, Beau

Available – a contract, deposits, carefully, black male

Nursery – babies born July 4, Dam

Available Retirees – loving care, deserve, a home, a nice

Grands – Grands, Kathy, beautifully, Angel, Award Winner

I don't know how to fix this problem so if you can I'd sure appreciate it.  It's very annoying to see this nonsense on my website.  And how come I can see it and you can't.  I don't understand.  I am grateful for any help you can offer.  Thanks!
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 65,092 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
They may have accompanied image uploads.
Photo of Judith5045

Judith5045

Thanks but that doesn't help me.  Can you fix it?  If you can't fix it please explain how I can fix it ... in layman's terms, step by step.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,926 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello Judith5045,

It is not an issue that is from Homestead or your Sitebuilder, so unfortunately we cannot fix it for you. We don't even have specific information on what exactly is causing this on your computer.

If you read the article that Drew merged your question with, it gives the instructions we can give to fix this.

The reason you can see it and we cannot is because it is specific to your computer (or any computer that has the addon in their browser that causes this).

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.