Unable to Publish Website Changes properly

  • 0
  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Hey Guys.
Super frustrated.
I've got content ready to go for my site
Sitebuilder either places it on a completely different part of the page once published.
Now sitebuilder will not publish my changes.
Tried both sitebuilder plus and the online publishing tools.
This is an issue that is impacting me negatively financially in this moment.
Photo of Nora

Nora

  • 3,642 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
  • cranky

Posted 3 years ago

  • 0
  • 1
Photo of Nora

Nora

  • 3,642 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
to be clear
I have tried multiple times via sitebuilder plus (the online tool)
and sitebuilder which I have donwloaded to my pc and is the tool I normally use.
Ugh!
Every time I publish, the location of my published content is completely different from where I have placed it on the page originally, covering other content.
Please look at this asap. 
Photo of Nora

Nora

  • 3,642 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Also, it's not a page refresh issue.
The new content is there, just in the completely wrong place
Photo of Nora

Nora

  • 3,642 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
For now I have deleted all new content
My pages are totally screwed up if I leave it there
Photo of Nora

Nora

  • 3,642 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
FYI This is time sensitive content I needed out by tomorrow morning which is why I am up at midnight doing this. So frustrated.
(Edited)
Photo of Nora

Nora

  • 3,642 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Looks like it's just one page where I am having the issue.
Perhaps it is that the page is too content heavy? That's my husband's suggestion
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

  • 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Nora, I am not technican so this problem may have to wait for one of Homesteads guys to have a look, they will be back in here Friday Morning or you could try Customer Services.
Customer Service 1 (800) 710-1998

Phone:
Mon-Fri 6:00am - 5:00pm MST(No DST)
Sat-Sun Closed
Chat:
Mon-Fri 4:30am to 1:15pm MST(No DST)
Sat-Sun Closed

But from experience, using both the desktop version and the SItebuilder + online to edit the same pages could be part of the problem, its either one or the other.  I would stick to using desktop. Now with the elements not being where they are placed, this can happen when elements are overlapping as the page tries to arrange them in order. Over lapping elements should be made to go back or bring forward. Sometimes a Text box extends beyond the actual body of the text and if an element is placed over the extended text box it will be moved to the nearest available space on the page and so shunts everything else awry. It could well be a technical problem but just to check your page, you can use the CTRL key and A or right click on the page and select all. This will highlight all the elements on the page and so you can check for overlaps etc.  Extended text boxes are the ususal culprit so, either grab the bottom of the box and move it close up to the text, sometimes they stick. so click the insertion point after the last character of the text and tap delete a few times and see if that moved the extra box nearer. Good luck and hope it gets sorted for you quickly.
Photo of Nora

Nora

  • 3,642 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Brian
I don't see any elements overlapping after selecting all
I'm on the phone with customer support now
Yeah, I usually only use the desktop version of sitebuilder.
I just went on sitebuilder plus to see if I could resolve it there. I once had an issue where I could not make any edits in sitebuilder desktop and HAD to make my edits on sitebuilder plus
Waiting on tech support to look into this for me now
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

  • 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Is any of the new content HTML? This is most common with an error in HTML code. Try removing any code on the page and adding them back one at a time to narrow it down.
Photo of Nora

Nora

  • 3,642 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
working on that now
Photo of Nora

Nora

  • 3,642 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Okay, well, I came up with a fix.
There was too much html content on that one page to go through it one by one. I split the content onto multiple pages and everything is where it needs to be now.
Never did find any corrupted html code.
Also sitebuilder crashed every 30 minutes or so.
So, that added to the not fun
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

  • 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It isn't normally corruption, so much as a missed closing tag or something simple. I am glad it is working for you now. I am not sure what happened with Sitebuilder. I have not been hearing other reports today. Let us know if that problem continues.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.