Text element appears to duplicate or remove text at random

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

i have reported this issue to no avail twice that there is a bug in the creative portion of site builder in the text/copy whereby it deletes itself or duplicates itself on its own, obviously this is very time consuming as you have to redo the same text over and over and it seems to have a mind of its own. i've been using the program for a long while and had never had this issue until recently.
Photo of dana1800

dana1800

• 680 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated.

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Madeline3393

Madeline3393

• 844 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Sitebuilder is still as glitchy as ever for me. I just hit "enter" between the text "Thursdays & Saturdays" and "10 a.m. to 4 p.m." (to move the latter text to a separate line) and got the following text duplication:

Thursdays & Saturdays10
a.m.Thursdays & Saturdays
Thursdays & Saturdays10 a.m.10 a.m. to
4 p.m.

All the details about what browser I'm using, what anti-virus software, etc., are already in my posts above.

I canceled my personal Homestead website account last week because of these problems. I don't have time at the moment to cancel my business account and recreate my site somewhere else, but I will do it when I can.
Photo of Madeline3393

Madeline3393

Then I typed some other text in, and it simply vanished when I clicked outside the text box. Happens all the time.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,428 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sorry for the ongoing issues you are experiencing. If you clear your cache as shown here: https://community.homestead.com/homes... and then repeat those key strokes does the error occur again?
Photo of Sue3082

Sue3082

• 1,574 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I realize that this is a common suggestion for all sorts of problems, but it is onw that can have dire consequences. No, I do not wish to delete all my cookies. This problem has been ongoing since god knows when and now that you have something I cannot possibly adhere to I guess you win,

But first, tell me where it says this will help. Or get som happy clients to say delelting their cookiews worked for them. because, it doesn't even make sense.
Photo of Sue3082

Sue3082

Yes, Madeline, it still happens. Text still gets misplaced and lost and deleted. And I am about 99% certain deleting cookies won't help.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sue3082, it is more so the browsers cache, than it is the cookies. People generally delete one when deleting the other as they can both slow down the browser. This why you often see the phrase "cache & cookies". And actually this does fix the problem for the majority of the people. We are not denying that some of you are not still having this problem, but we are unable to duplicate it on our end. Even when some of you tell us how it's being triggered, we can't reproduce it which makes it very hard to troubleshoot.
Photo of Sue3082

Sue3082

I have had the same problem since Day One, when I was informed by Homestead that I could no longer use Internet Explorer. So I switched to google chrome, got onto Sitebuilder plus, without any cookies saved in that browser or its cache. And still,, it never worked.
Photo of Madeline3393

Madeline3393

Hi Mike,
I just cleared my cache. It was pretty full. I'll let you know if that helps. It'll take a little time to tell, because although I have all these text problems frequently, they are intermittent--most of them don't happen 100% of the time. (A few glitches, like the disappearing space after you hit backspace and then start typing again, do happen for me 100% of the time.) Thanks.
Photo of Sue3082

Sue3082

One should clear out the temporary internet files (cache) occasionally anyway, even if you're not having problems. On my computer I gain access to it through the Control panel, and then to Internet Options, where I can delete the files and forms, etc, without touching the cookies.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Photo of Madeline3393

Madeline3393

FYI, clearing the cache did not fix any of the problems.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Madeline3393, After you clear your cache be sure to completely close down all web browsers that you have open, and log in and try again. Also, I see that you have been using Firefox for quite a long time, which is usually just fine. Can you try Chrome and see how that works. I'm wondering if there's an addon or setting in Firefox that may be interfering.

Mike
Photo of Madeline3393

Madeline3393

Hi Mike, I've already been through all that--trying different browsers, checking for problematic add-ons. Nothing has helped. Just now, when I hit "enter" to move the second half of a line of text to a new line, I got this familiar gibberish:

SatSat, MarSat 169:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 169:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. , Marurday, March 169:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 169:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

It should say:

Saturday, March 16
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

What other browsers have you tried? All of the log in sessions indicate you've been using Firefox since September.

Firefox normally works fine though. Can you tell me what page this text is on and we'll take a look?

Also, is the error reproducible every time? If it is, is it possible for you to detail the steps/key strokes that causes it?

Mike
Photo of Madeline3393

Madeline3393

I have tried IE and Chrome and have had the same issues. I am certainly not the only person on this page who has had these problems with Firefox. I have had these issues since Fall 2012, so it may have been a while since I tried other browsers.

This particular error is not reproducible every time. It is intermittent, but frequent. I have detailed the keystrokes and described these problems many times over the course of the past year.

I have fixed the gibberish, so I don't know that looking at the page would help. It was on /Adults-and-Families.html. I've had these types of text glitches occur on all my pages, though.

The keystroke that caused the above error was, as I mentioned, hitting "enter" to divide a single line of text into two. Hitting "enter" within a line of text is the keystroke that intermittently causes the repetitive gibberish.

Hitting "backspace" and then "space" and then beginning to type again is the series of keystrokes that consistently causes the problem where the space does not appear (so I get "March1" instead of "March 1" if I backspace, space, then type). The only thing that fixes that is to use the back arrow to reposition the cursor, then hit space again.

I have detailed the various other text glitches in various other posts above.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thank you very much for the detailed description. And can you confirm that this sequence occurs on each browser? or specific ones?
Photo of Madeline3393

Madeline3393

Hi Mike, I am using Chrome today in order to check for glitches. Here's a glitch I haven't mentioned before, but which has been happening a lot in Firefox and now also in Chrome: when I place the cursor at a particular point and paste in some text, the text appears at the top of the text box instead of at the point at which I placed the cursor. No difference between Firefox and Chrome for that glitch.

I also had a problem just now in Chrome where I couldn't break apart two lines of text by hitting enter; the cursor would jump to an earlier point and insert the line break there instead.

So it's not Firefox, and it's not Chrome. The problem is with your site and your code, not with my browsers.
Photo of Madeline3393

Madeline3393

I'm using Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63 m.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

I'll look into this. Can you tell me if you are selecting just text alone, or are you actually copying and pasting an entire text box?
Photo of Madeline3393

Madeline3393

Hi Mike--I'm not copying and pasting an entire text box. I'm just trying to paste in segments of text from within the text box, or from an outside document. I hit "paste," paste it into the secure pop-up text box, hit OK, and the text appears at the top of the text box instead of at the insertion point where I'd placed the cursor.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Is there already text in the box? So you are trying to insert text into some existing text?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Sorry, but our developers are still trying to figure out why this is only happening to a small number of people and it seems very random. Can't you tell me if this consistently occurs on the same web page, or does it happen on all pages of your site?

Mike
Photo of Madeline3393

Madeline3393

All the pages.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

What is the source that you are copying the text from? It is possible that there' some coding that is copying over and interring. Can you try to past the text from the original source, into MS Notepad, then select and copy the text from Notepad before pasting into the SiteBuilder. Let me know the result of this.
Photo of Sue3082

Sue3082

To Ehsan Zaheer,

that's just common sense. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. Now that the problem is resovled, we don't need this question on here any mmore about how to resolve it.
Photo of Sue3082

Sue3082

You guys and girls keep working on this, and when you get it so that we can just do the editing, and it works, you know you have done your job.
Photo of rigdoninc7646

rigdoninc7646

• 596 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
OK. Here's the deal. I have been dealing with this problem since about Feb.
1. It happens using every computer in my house - Windows 8, Vista, Windows 7.
2. Happens on every browser - firefox, explorer (haven't tried chrome).
3. I can clear cache's, shut down computer, even reboot modem and the problem persists.

Here's my assessment:
I can "manage" the problem by making one or two changes, then saving my change, saving the page, and then going back to the area where I am working(text box or graphic, whatever) and making one, maybe two more changes, saving, and so on.

The system (for me) goes haywire if I make several changes without saving both the entry and the page.

At the beginning of the session, the system has a high tolerance for changes. As I continue, I can make fewer and fewer before it freaks out. One day, towards the end of a session, I tried to move a text box and it "connected" to my mouse and I could not 'release' the text box anywhere. Very odd. Had to hard shut-down the computer. Anyway, it may be after 10 minutes, or after 2 hours, but there is an issue with the program (NOT THE BROWSER, OS, USER, ETC) that it does not clear out changes it its 'memory' or wherever...it must log them and then not clear them out once you save or when you move to a new page or area on a page. That is why it is very tolerant at the beginning of a session and then the more changes I make, the more frequently I must save and save and try again. It isn't dumping its 'memory' of changes made.

When you are testing this, you need to test it like we use it meaning on a published website, build a page, edit a page, and make several edits over longer sessions on computers NOT on a server but connected to the internet via wireless or wired connection. If I am doing heavy editing, I may be on the site builder 4 hours at time.

I don't know what else to tell you other than it is real and it is a problem. Keep us posted.

Amy
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Thanks for the post Amy. We'll pass this to the developers.
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 5,522 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Same deal you all! Now that the email fiasco is over...this is still a major problem! Most of us have given up. I use the old Sitebuilder for the most part. If you go really slow and SAVE EVERY MOVE things work pretty good.
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 5,522 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
How about the rest of you?

Bump

Sitebuilder is all I use for now, Sitebuilder Plus is still worthless!
Photo of James7069

James7069

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
text disappears.

When typing in text I've noticed that periodically the entire paragraph will just disappear. There's absolutely no reason for it, nothing is highlited, it just simply goes away.

I've also noticed that text formatting will sometimes radically change based on back spacing.

I'd really like to see a fix for this.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

This has been an issue for a while, which we've made some significant progress on. However there are a few rare occasions where some people are still having the problem. We have been unable to duplicate it on our end but are still working on this. If you happen to notice any particular process, or series of keystrokes etc. that trigger this, please let us know. Also, let us know what operating system you are using, and which web browser it's occurring on. Thanks!

Mike
Photo of Jill8199

Jill8199

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am having problems with text disappearing when I use the backspace key. It doesn't happen all of the time, but when it does I can loose an entire paragraph. Luckily most of the time I can click outside the box I'm working on and then hit the undo button to get my stuff back. It does get frustrating though when I haven't caught it and loose everything. I am running a PC with Firefox 28.0
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 259,004 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
What Windows version?  Also, if you are willing, can you try Chrome and/or IE to see if it happens there too.

Drew
Photo of Jill8199

Jill8199

I am running windows 7 home premium - version 6.1 (build7601: service pack 1)
I have to tell you that I am not very tech savvy. Everything takes me twice as long to figure out. I used to use IE but switched years ago to firefox because our internet service was way too slow on IE. Cable company had me switch. I will see what I can figure out with IE and Chrome, then let you know.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 259,004 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks
Photo of Jill8199

Jill8199

Here is what I found with my text issue. I didn't work with IE - still way too slow with my cable supplier (reminds me of dial-up)??? I have been working with Chrome the past two days. I don't have an issue with the backspace button. Do have problem with the "undo" key. I have saved my text in the box. Added more and hit undo key and entire box goes empty. have to click outside work area to get text back. When I try hitting undo again it went back further than my last save point. Another issue on Chrome has to do with idle time out. In Firefox if Homestead signed me out after my computer was idle, it would give me the option to log back in or save my work. In Chrome it seems to get stuck and I get an error message #0x19 I end up in a circle. ????? Is there a way to change the idle time out. Otherwise everything else on Chrome seems fine so far.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

No, sorry there's no way to change the idle/timeout setting.

Make sure you routinely clear your cookies and cache in your browser and most of the issues you explained above should be eliminated. Overall Firefox tends to be one of the more reliable browsers for most users.

Mike
Photo of Jill8199

Jill8199

Update to my text disappearing issue......I have used Chrome browser for the past 5 days and have not had the issue of loosing text when backspacing. Yeah! One issue I have found is sometimes when I have made a change on a page, clicked save, and then went to preview.......change did not show up. I solved this by either doing more work on my site and then hitting preview again or I logged off and back on to get it to show up on the preview screen. Chrome seems to be the better browser for me.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The symptoms/description you just posted is due to browser caching. Just clearing your cookies and cache will resolve that problem.

Mike

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.