Transferred domain to another registrar, but want to keep using homestead email

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I have recently switched one of my domains to another registrar, but I would like to continue using homestead email.  I am able to send emails, but since the transfer, I am not receiving new emails.  How do I correct this?  Do I need to change the MX records on my new registrar?
Photo of Stephen4624

Stephen4624

• 1,334 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
HI Stephen, I would advise waiting for an official reply from one of the Homestead guys on Monday morning ( they dont work at weekends) It is my understanding that the email address linked to your doman name is all part of the same deal with Homestead. However, one glimer of hope is that one of my domains was not purchased via Homestead at all but I still have my domain email address on OX so it seeems possible. The only difference is your domain WAS registered through Homestead, mine wasn't.. Fingers crossed for you
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Which domain is it? We will have to see if we can make this work. It would be easier if you pointed to us using our nameservers and then pointed to your website using A and/or CNAME records as we must have the domain on our system as a registered or pointed domain to have you use email
Photo of Stephen4624

Stephen4624

It is experiencerealty.com.  I know I could transfer service over to zoho.com, but would just prefer to keep it with homestead for the time being.  I still have hosting with homestead, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You can try updating the DNS. I have left your domain attached to the account. You can update the DNS at the new host.

https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/my_email_was_converted_to_the_new_platform_what_sho...
Photo of Stephen4624

Stephen4624

I've updated the settings, but still no luck receiving emails.

here are the settings I have, let me know if they are correct:

CNAME    email    mx.experiencerealty.com    1 hour
MX               @      mx.experiencerealty.com    1 hour
MX               @      smtp.experiencerealty.com    1 hour
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The link I posted above has the records required for mail. These are not the correct settings for Homestead mail, except for the middle one.
Photo of Stephen4624

Stephen4624

I've changed everything to match what is in the post you provided.  When I change the setting to experiencerealty.com, is automatically changes it to an @.  I'm guessing that is correct?  Still not luck receiving emails though.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

That should be correct yes. Are you able to log in to email? Can you send email?
Photo of Stephen4624

Stephen4624

I haven't had a problem logging in or sending mail since I transferred the domain, however I have not been receiving mail and still not receiving.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I look at mxtoolbox and your MX records still don't show correctly. There should only be the mx.experiencerealty.com. Also it says that there is no A record for that, which is an issue. You'll have to check the DNS again and get help from the host if it still isn't working. 

Photo of Stephen4624

Stephen4624

Okay, went through and added all the records listed on the link you provided in the A records.  The good news is that I am able to send and receive, but the bad news is that mxtoolbox says that I now have all kinds of errors that didn't previously exist.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It can take up to 48 hours for DNS changes to complete. Does mail sent to this domain bounce back?
Photo of Stephen4624

Stephen4624

It seems to be working fine, but still have the same errors on mxtoolbox.  Any suggestions?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

They are not critical errors. If you want to add an SPF, you can.

v=spf1 ip4:38.13.1.0/24 ip4:38.113.20.0/24 ip4:65.254.224.0/19 ?all