Time To Take Consumer Action

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

If all of Homestead's customers decided to leave if the new updates weren't ready by next week Monday, the company would find a way to get us this new website builder. It makes no sense that high school and college kids can build multimillion dollar apps in 48 hours but Homestead can't seem to get it together. I think it's time to call Inc. and other publications to let them know what's going on. Or call Homestead's competitors and let them know.
Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am sorry, but multi million dollar companies are not built in 48 hours. In many ways it is more difficult to update things than create from new. Those college students don't have to be concerned with the legacy function of things. We are doing everything we can to make the new builder available as soon as possible. The builder itself is done. The final step is integration to the Homestead account. That is what we are doing now. We are making sure that things are working as they should. I understand the desire to get new toys, but as others have mentioned here, giving you a toy that is broken may be worse than having to wait a little longer. We will get it activated as soon as possible. Tomorrow, as time permits, we will begin posting topics for the new builder so you can start to see it a little prior to getting it. You can see the new topics in the new category. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/categories/homestead_websitebuilder
(Edited)
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 6,058 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Drew, I look forward to trying out the new builder. No need to give us a broken toy as you say.
Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

I didn't say companies... I said apps. And if you think this is a game and what we are playing with "toys" you are sadly mistaken. I'm fine with testing and retesting, but don't charge me for a service prior to it being ready... Ok, we have to swallow price increases because Homestead's prices haven't gone up in years (because the product has NOT improved in those years) but get on your engineers to get this done now! And I noticed how quickly you responded to my post...thanks.
Photo of Martin

Martin

My name is Martin, I don't work for Homestead. If you cant afford a $2 increase per month in this day and age for almost anything you are in the wrong business 100%. GUARANTTEE IT!
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The word toys was used as an analogy. I understand that this is your business, and extremely important, and that is why we don't want to give you something that is not ready. The engineers are working as quickly as possible to get the builder integrated to the accounts.

Unfortunately, there is a misunderstanding about the price increase. We do not charge for the site building programs. The hosting package included options for space, email, domains, etc... The site building tools are included with the hosting plan. Our new builder will be integrated to the account free of charge when it is ready.

The builder itself seems pretty robust, we are now integrating it into the Homestead accounts. We need to make sure that everything works correctly and most importantly does not affect you existing sites in any way. Those should stay as they are now. We do not want to see any interruption.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

Martin, thanks for 200 cents... It's not about the money for me, even though thousands of customers paying a $2 increase does add up... I just like efficiency. And the way Homestead has handled this has to be a case study on how not to do business in the digital industry.
Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

Thanks Drew! I get that... And I hope that with this wait that there are indeed no hick ups. Side note: my background is in PR and marketing so I'm looking at this through a slightly different lens than the gentleman, Martin, who responded to my post.

But I will wait patiently like everyone else and stop with my rants. Thanks again for your replies.
Photo of Martin

Martin

For sure Chris, the announcement about the new builder and the price increase in one announcement was a SNAFU of the first degree. Thanks
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry. There is no good way to announce a price increase. We don't like it, but it does have to happen sometimes.
Photo of Martin

Martin

Drew, should have been announced separately is all I am saying? I have no problem whatsoever about it.

1. New responsive website announced! Woo HOO Thanks Homestead!

2. A few days later or even months? We need to adjust for inflation. Two dollars....I mean really? I don't care if you or I have 200 sites or one. If you cant afford a $2 adjustment you need to find a new line of work?

(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I agree with you, but it was not my decision in the end. I will share all the comments with the management team.
Photo of Martin

Martin

Where is my old friend Susan? We go way back with Homestead. Susan, you are way better at explaining this than I am.
Photo of Martin

Martin

Where is my old friend Susan? We go way back with Homestead. Susan, you are way better at explaining this than I am.
Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

Definitely Martin... I guess at the end of the day we have to adjust to the cheese being moved. Best of luck to ya!
Photo of Martin

Martin

I don't quite understand the analogy about the cheese at this time of day Chris. All I know is I have been around here since the get go when sites were so called "free"? Been really mad as all get out about Homestead at times...I have made one hell of a good living because I signed up all those years ago and stuck with "them".  Best of luck to you also!
(Edited)
Photo of Chris8611

Chris8611

Martin, you just literally made me laugh out loud... my bad about the cheese. It's a reference to a great book called 'Who Moved My Cheese'. It talks about being willing to adjust to changes around you in the business world.
(Edited)
Photo of Martin

Martin

I have seen it, obviously I did not take time to watch it again.

Johnson/Weld 2016: https://www.lp.org

Have a good day and  a prosperous morning 11/2/16?

Martin

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Guys and Lady.. Like you Ive been with Homestead since it was free and it has served me well over the years. Earned some money, survived all the various windows updates and web developments and Homestead kept on going. I am sure the next generation of builder will be brilliant, a few teething problems I am sure and happy to just have a go ( although probably not going back to earning a crust with websites, want to enjoy retirement.. BUT never say never). So sorry CHris cannot support your idea ( and I HAVE seen up close what the competition offer)  Patience is a virture I am told....
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.