Switching to HTTPS via Cloudflare

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I did not have any problems changing nameservers for my domain to the cloudflare service in order to get a secure URL. My site appears promptly, green lock instead of a notice of not secure connection, all pages almost complete. Although my site elements promptly load, the load continues and then eventually times out, with the result that my PayPal buttons never appear. There is a TLS handshake hang and eventual time out with "preview-editor.homesteadcloud.com", see pic. Can you remedy this? Or tell me how to remedy this? Would really like to maintain the https and still use Homestead. Thanks!

Photo of Mary7894

Mary7894

• 1,186 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am looking into this for you. I believe the problem is in the way HTML boxes work.
Photo of Mary7894

Mary7894

Thank you!
Photo of Mary7894

Mary7894

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Paypal HTML with Cloudflare.

Cloudflare agrees with you Drew. Here is full error messages they get on my site re. buttons:
viewer.js:25 GET https://preview-editor.homesteadcloud.com/extern/embed-html/embed-html.html?wzId=id1483451469500&wzInstanceId=id1483451469500&wzAppId=embed_html_app&wzAppV=1&wzApiType=app&wzDeviceType=desktop&wzMode=view&wzSessionId=1505999292228&wzEncodeParams=eyJ3ekN1cnJlbnRVcmwiOiJodHRwczovL3d3dy5vaGJveWRsZWF0aGVyZ29vZHMuY29tL2xlYXRoZXItcm9zYXJ5LWNhc2UtcHJheWVyLWJlYWQtY2FzZSIsInd6U2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MTA1LCJoZWlnaHQiOjMyfX0%3D net::ERR_TIMED_OUTviewer.js:25 GET https://preview-editor.homesteadcloud.com/extern/embed-html/embed-html.html?wzId=id1483482132614&wzInstanceId=id1483482132614&wzAppId=embed_html_app&wzAppV=1&wzApiType=app&wzDeviceType=desktop&wzMode=view&wzSessionId=1505999292228&wzEncodeParams=eyJ3ekN1cnJlbnRVcmwiOiJodHRwczovL3d3dy5vaGJveWRsZWF0aGVyZ29vZHMuY29tL2xlYXRoZXItcm9zYXJ5LWNhc2UtcHJheWVyLWJlYWQtY2FzZSIsInd6U2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MjM3LCJoZWlnaHQiOjg0fX0%3D net::ERR_TIMED_OUT
Hope this helps.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Can I use HTTPS on my Websitebuilder site?.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Mary7894, Thanks for the info. Let's use this topic for this issue. The other topic is more general and should be perfectly good unless you use PayPal generated HTML.  We are trying to find the best solution for you.
Photo of Mary7894

Mary7894

So, re. this hang/time-out at the editor level, I was thinking about this: When I enter the Homestead website, proceed with my login, select Website Manager, etc., the Homestead url's remain https. However, once I enter the editor for my site, I am warned that I no longer have a secure connection. So I was wondering if the Homestead Editor site is rated as not secure, is this perhaps the issue that would cause the Cloudflare https stoppage? Here's pic of my editor with the "Connection is Not Secure" warning.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The issue is the design of the HTML box. It works in what is called an iframe, which is essentially displaying something located on another page in a small frame. It is not possible to SSL protect the iframe, so using the Paypal HTML code is not going to work unless something changes in the future. It will work using the Websitebuilder Paypal buttons though. There is currently a checkout button issue that should be resolved in the next few days.
Photo of Mary7894

Mary7894

Thanks for working on this, Drew. I'm going to go experiment with the Websitebuilder buttons.
Photo of Lee6184

Lee6184

• 718 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Paypal on Websitebuilder..

So to be clear, this Cloudflare thing will work IF we are using the NEW software AND IF there is no Paypal buttons?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Can I use HTTPS on my Websitebuilder site?.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Lee6184, you are correct if the Paypal buttons are HTML generated from the Paypal account. It will work if you use the Homestead Paypal buttons in Websitebuilder.
Photo of Lee6184

Lee6184

• 718 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Can you clarify? Do we use the Homestead PayPal buttons in Websitebuilder OR have to generate the html code from PayPal? Or do BOTH work? 
Photo of Mary7894

Mary7894

Use the one in the Websitebuilder.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Mary is correct.
Photo of Mary7894

Mary7894

Well, I worked some hours yesterday on remodeling a couple of my pages. I have been using PayPal generated PayPal buttons since 2003, but the Homestead Iframe format for inserting these cool buttons is not acceptable for https status. So I made some sizeable changes on only two of my many product pages in order to switch to Homestead generated PayPal buttons:

At this stage, the Homestead button offered is inadequate for my purposes, would only work well for a single item with no variations. There are no  drop downs for choice of color, size, price, etc., so one of my products required 16 Homestead buttons to replace a single PayPal generated button. The other product I worked on required nine buttons to replace one. Of course, doing this required total page remodels to accommodate the new amount and shape of the required space. And of course, there was the usual issue of rearranging stuff in the mobile version. (That issue seems to be improving.)

I don't mind the new look of my pages and I could even live with the multiple buttons for a while. However, there are two problems that are definitely not tolerable and should be remedied as quickly as possible:

First, there is no way to limit the mounting per item shipping fees for multiple purchases. Yikes!

And, second, with the checkout button out of order, there is no way for a customer to get back into his cart without making another purchase. (Note, not sure if this pertains: I discovered that PayPal had changed its coding for its PayPal generated "View Cart" button, so did they change something also for the Homestead "Checkout" button?

Anyway, thanks for all your work, and keep me posted on the progress of this PayPal button part of the http to https issue.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The checkout button is in testing and due to be fixed live soon.

The variations option is available in the Websitebuilder version of the Simplestore, but there is still one small place we are fixing the SSL in that as well.

I will also see what options there are for shipping. My guess is that will also be the Simplestore.
Photo of Mary7894

Mary7894

Simplestore variations are extremely limited and the general format of Simpolestore does not fit my needs...seems extremely outdated. Although it does have potential, it needs some serious, I mean serious updates. I dinged around with it this afternoon, and even though I am a pretty simple artisan-crafted business, I can see that I just cannot use it in its current state.

I am paying for an upgrade to be able to have E-Commerce (display PayPal buttons) on my pages. It seems that Intuit (Homestead) should be able to find a way to display my PayPal generated buttons (which are far better than anything Homestead offers) in a secure format.

So, I switched nameservers back to the Homestead defaults and will limp along without my not-secure connections for my site or the Homestead editor, and I will make some major changes to my site (diminish to minimal) and thus to my Homestead account.

I must say that I am very disappointed with Homestead today.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We have requested that the design of the HTML box be changed, but I am not sure if it is on the schedule or not at this point.

If you have specific suggestions for the Simplestore, I would like to hear them. Keep in mind it does need to be simple. For advanced ecommerce, we offer a more robust platform via a partnership with Bigcommerce.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.