Sub Domain with different servers?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content.

I created a sub domain from another hosting site. I would like the parent domain to remain being hosted by homestead, but I would like the sub domain to be pointed to the new host's servers. Is this possible?
Photo of Angelo6122

Angelo6122

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,634 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

A subdomain cannot be pointed to different servers than the parent domain. The closest thing you could do it point that subdomain to a different URL.
Photo of Angelo6122

Angelo6122

I'm told it is possible by adding an A Record that will point to the IP of the new host. I don't see anywhere on the control panel within homestead to create the A Record.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

This would be under Advanced DNS Settings.
Photo of Angelo6122

Angelo6122

Thanks for the response! I did check there and have received the following message for the last 24 hours.

"It appears that our partners are experiencing some technical difficulties, so we are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again later."

´╗┐Thoughts on where to go from here?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

What domain is this for?
Photo of Angelo6122

Angelo6122

Domain: americanbackpaincenter.com
Subdomain: wordpress.americanbackpaincenter.com
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

That domain is not registered with Homestead. It is registered with Launchpad. This had not been updated on the Homestead account. I have corrected this for you. In the future, if you transfer a domain away from Homestead, I recommend you delete it from the account. Then, if you decide to point it back, you can add it as a pointing domain and it will not run into those errors.
Photo of Angelo6122

Angelo6122

Thank you so much! I was able to create my A record through the Advanced DNS Settings and am now waiting for the site to redirect. I'm just learning so thank you for your patience and expertise.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.