Stymied after seeking Google Analytics

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I signed up to use Google analytics. As instructed I entered my UA number and was led to my website. Now I don't know what to do. I was not led to my index page but the page that I am on has images overlapping text and is quite a mess. Please help. I don't want to ruin everything.
Photo of Helene  Z Hill

Helene Z Hill

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • confused and frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
HI Helen, I am a reasonably intelligent mature person with a better than average understanding of computers and websites so please take heart when I say Google Analytics is is about as understandable as egyptian heiroglyphics, I suspect the creators are from another planet. YOU can log on to Google webmaster tools, you can sign in with the same username and password as Google Analytics and its is easier to understand with lots of help tutorials. When you added your website did you put the URL of your index page in. You then have to put HTML on the page to get Google analytics to recognise it.. ITook me a while to figure it all out and still cannot see the benefit. so I still look to webmaster tools and also use Bing webmaster tools ( part of Yahoo)  https://www.google.com/webmasters/#?modal_active=none 
 BIng Webmaster tools but you will need a microsoft account ( easy to create one) http://www.bing.com/toolbox/webmaster
(Edited)
Photo of Helene  Z Hill

Helene Z Hill

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your help but now I am more confused than ever.  I am not selling anything.  I just want people to visit my site and read my story.  Maybe you can do that (www.helenezhill.com).  I was very happy with the stats that I was getting but now I don't get them any more.  I would like to chuck the whole Google whatever and go back to where I was day before yesterday before I fell for all the niff naw advertising.  Can you help with that?  
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,826 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am sorry, but we don't have a provision to switch back as the old stats program is being discontinued. Do you see anything in Google yet. It does take a day or so for visits to start registering. I know it is a comprehensive program and it can be a beast, but it does provide the most information. Perhaps there is too much, which is fine. There are other statistics programs out there you can implement using Sitebuilder. A Google search should give you some results. Just be aware there are some free ones and some paid ones.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
HI Helene, I just visited your website and its a great site, you should be proud. Now I must say I haven't waded through all the text, just finished a 12 hour shift and its almost 1 am and not the most conducive time to try and assimilate techincal knowledge. BUT, I read with interest your thoughts on if you should be a whistleblower or not...Well, I doubt you could persuade your self to be anything other than what you want to be. You quoted the words to the Impossible dream but left off the most important part that my heart will lie peaceful and calm when i'm laid to my rest. . I believe a person either stands by their principles or they dont stand.at all.  Anyway, before it gets too lyrical, I do not believe you cant sort our Google Analytics, if you cant.... I stand no chance. As Drew said it takes a while for the google bots to get out there and scurry around your site. Google will ask for a site map, and verification code etc etc but just read through the guidance notes and it will become clear... took me a bit of time but I got there. Drew's the go to guy if your site is looking strange and I am sure he can find a solution, to me it all looked OK, Ask your questions here and there will be a solution I assure you. Good luck.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.