SSL Certificate. Cloudflare's DNS records don't seem to match the ones listed here. I have no idea how to proceed.

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content

A Homestead email about getting an SSL Certificate tells me (Step 4) to "Compare and update your existing DNS records." Cloudflare's DNS records don't seem to match the ones listed here. I have no idea how to proceed. Nor do I understand Step 5, "Get new nameservers from Cloudflare and add these in your Homestead account"
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

• 850 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Bob King

Bob King

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 44,918 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Bob King

It looked like your DNS was outdated, actually so I updated it. Please take a look at the records under your domain in your Homestead account and edit the records in Cloudflare to match. 
We want to finish step 4 before we even think about the next step, because once you finish this step, the next one will make more sense.
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

I see the updated DNS.  I only have one email address: bobking10@comcast.net.  So, is the updated DNS correct in that regard?  Also, did the outdated DNS affect people trying to visit my website?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Yes it is updated in that regard. And no it didn't affect visitors, but it would have affected the cloudflare connection.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

The Homestead DNS has 10 A records, each with 3 pieces of information.  I don't see a place to put the "host" info on the Cloudflare form, such as mx, pop, etc.
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

As I'm adding these records, Cloudflare is telling me "that record already exists."
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

It needs to look like this:
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

Cloudflare wouldn't allow me to add any CNAME info.  Again, my only email is bobking10@comcast.net.  So, does this look correct?
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

So, I'm going in circles.  What now?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Sorry, no. Here, you need to edit it like this:

Just make sure all of these are in there, disregard your domain name in this.

Photo of Bob King

Bob King

This is like being told to write a letter in a foreign language that I don't understand.  So, I'm going to wait for your next instruction before even trying to do anything.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Those screenshots I posted are the best I can explain it. If you are still having troubles after that, I might recommend calling in. 800-710-1998
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

How is this? Cloudflare warns "This record is exposing your origin server's IP address, potentially exposing it to denial of service," regarding the MX info.  Write a comment
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

That definitely looks better. Just make sure you also have the rest of the A records (mail, email, smtp, pop... I'm not sure if you have those but the screenshot doesn't show them so I wanted to make sure) and don't worry about that error. It sounds concerning, but it is basically just saying you confirm you are pointing to Homestead.
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

I matched the screenshot you provided.  I'll try to put the others in.
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

Does this look right?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Yes! Perfect!
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

So, my next step is to click on "Continue" at Cloudflare.  But, you haven't responded to my statement that I have just one email address, and that is @comcast.net.  So, does all of this Cloudflare stuff conflict with that?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

No, it would only affect Homestead emails.
Yes, click continue
(Edited)
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

How do I change my nameservers?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Do you have the instructions from our Community article? Because it has picture step by step instructions:
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/can-i-secure-my-homestead-website-with-https

Your question is answered in Step 8
(Edited)
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

Do you mean the instructions for people with Simplestore?  "If you have a Simplestore using Sitebuilder Plus, read this topic before proceeding."  I don't have Simplestore.  I've never heard of it.  That's why I never read those instructions.
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

Cloudflare just emailed me that my status is active.  So, I guess I figured out how to change my nameservers myself.  Homestead has some of the worst instructions in the history of software.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Well that comment directs people with Simplestore to a different article that pertains to them. It doesn't say those instructions are for people who have Simplestore. If you scroll down further in that article it has pictures with arrows telling you exactly what to do.
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

No it doesn't "direct people" anywhere.  Maybe it was INTENDED to do so.  But, in fact it says, at the top of the page, "If you have Simplestore" read THIS TOPIC.  "This topic" means the page you are on, not some other page.  Again, the worst instructions in the history of software.  And you still don't get it.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

I understand where the misunderstanding came from. "this topic" is a different color, indicating a link to the topic in question.

Regardless, now that you know those instructions are for you, please feel free to go through them one by one to get your sites set up the rest of the way. It does give you all of the instructions you need if you read through them and take it one step at a time.
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

Are you telling me the instructions you gave yesterday were wrong or incomplete?  Cloudflare says my account there is "active," but my website is no longer accessible and they have now told me my "website files are not in the right place on your server."
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

No, yesterday I was correcting specific issues you were telling me about, then provided you a link to the full instructions in case you didn't have it before. Have you finished the rest of the steps in that article?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

I might recommend you call in to get a web advisor to walk through what might need to be corrected. 800-710-1998.
Photo of Bob King

Bob King

I've now called Homestead's 800 number and learned the DNS records at Cloudflare were not "perfect" as you told me yesterday at 2:20 pm.  One was missing and two were incorrect.  He made the corrections for me.  My website is back up with the green lock icon.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Great, so glad you were able to get assistance.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.