SMTP relays for mail

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I am having a problem that Godaddy says is with my host.

I use an automated email program to send emails to people who fill out forms on our website.  This program accesses my email to do that.  It works great with my yahoo email, but it won't work with my @domainname.com email.

When I try to set that up, I get a "No SMTP relays have been set up for this account" message.

Here is a link to a screenshot of the issue:  https://www.screencast.com/t/jSHgTxbvvOw

How can I set up these relays?
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

• 1,108 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 259,004 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So, your configuration shows you trying to use Godaddy email server to send. The MX records on your domain control who hosts your email. I see mx records for both Homestead and Outlook.com. First thing is to make sure what mail service you want to use, then we need to get the records correctly configured. If you choose Homestead mail, then you will need to use the Homestead smtp server. If you choose Outlook, you will likely need to use their smtp server. This is because most mail administrators set up their servers so that you must have an account to send through a server. This helps prevent spam from being sent over a server.
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

Thanks Drew!

I want to use Outlook.com.  What do I need to do to configure it correctly?  
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

Hi Drew,

I realized that I needed to set my other program up for Outlook and not GoDaddy.  You helped me to see that. It is working now.  Problem solved!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 259,004 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.