Sites We Love

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

Hi!  I have been using Homestead SiteBuilder for a couple years now and our website, SugarBabies-Cakes.com is the number one thing that brings customers to, and drives, our home-based business.  Some time ago we entered (and won) a "Sites We Love" competition.  I would love to submit our website for review again as we have made many changes and improvements since then.  How do I go about it?
Thanks!
Susan
Photo of Susan

Susan

• 2,734 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
  • Excited

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Lovely, lovely site and the cakes are truly works of art!

The only issues I'm seeing is that your gallery pages are a bit on the heavy side - your wedding cake page is 1meg and is a tad slow to load. When you simply resize an image using the 'handles' it doesn't decrease the weight of the image. You might consider optimizing those pics or making them a smaller size.

All your images should have alt text. People who use assistive technology and the Search Engines are unable to 'see' the images and the alt text gives an indication of what the image represents. The alt text should be short, sweet and to the point.

Eliminate the copyright that is a plug for Homestead and replace it with your own using plain text.

The site is clean, easily navigated and a joy to visit - except for the fact that I now want a cupcake!
Nicely done.
Photo of Susan

Susan

Thanks for your reply!  To get my pictures with correct alt text, would I have to rename and reload all?  Most of my images have descriptive words in the jpeg name.  How do I fix this?  As to size, I always let SiteBuilder decrease the size of my images, I am not sure how to get them smaller still.
...Thanks for hints!
Photo of Susan

Susan

Oh yes... I am still asking the question... How do I enter the website for "Sites We Love"?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
To add alt text, highlight the image and then on the Properties Editor/Image Settings (that panel on the right with all the options) scroll down a bit to the Link heading and under that you will see the alt text box.
It's always beneficial to have a photo editing program when you are using a lot of images. There are dozens out there; some very pricey, some reasonable. Paint.net though is a free program and has all the bells and whistles you would need.
I'm not sure about the "Sites We Love" - to be honest I've never even heard of it!  :)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We sometimes run various contests here. I don't have one going right now, but maybe I can get one going soon

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.