Sitemap for WebsiteBuilder

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

When converting from SiteBuilder to WebsiteBuilder is it necessary to have a Site Map created from a third party company like https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ or does WebsiteBuilder generate the code automatically?
Photo of david2953

david2953

• 6,996 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
David, it should create it automatically. At least it does on my test sites. You can double check by going to xxxxxxxx.homesteadcloud.com/sitemap.xml. If you see all your page names, everything is set. It should also include last modified date for each page.
Photo of david2953

david2953

Hi Drew...I am not quite sure how I would point to that URL.  When I am in the editor this is the URL that comes up http://editor.homestead.com/#/site/44253380/tid/1024190/desktop/
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I think what Drew was indicating is:
yoursitename.homesteadcloud.com/sitemap.xml
Photo of david2953

david2953

Thanks Susan....I've tried that and several other variations http://www.csthousing.homesteadcloud.com/sitemap.xml but I end up with a blank page
Photo of david2953

david2953

Thanks, Susan....Drew, it's rather cryptic for a marketing guy but it looks like all the pages are there.  So the site-map question is resolved.  That is actually very nice that the software creates it for you as opposed to having to recreate it every time you add or delete a page.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I got the same thing - blank page when I tried it. I guess we put this back in Drew's court.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

LMAO - it's time to quit. Really makes a difference if you get the site name correct.
Thanks for the push David - you helped me find where my faux pas was.

Tally Ho the fox!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Sorry for being cryptic David. Unfortunately, with the number of people I deal with daily, it is hard to remember which ones don't want to post their site publicly for one reason or another, so I try not to post site addresses, unless I specifically see or remember that the customer has already posted it. I am glad you see it though.
Photo of david2953

david2953

Hi Drew....sorry I didn't mean your message was cryptic I was speaking about the site map data.  It's all good.  I appreciate your help.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Good to know - it was on my 'ask' list so hooray I can put a check mark beside it!
Thanks for asking David.
Photo of david2953

david2953

Drew...also in one of our exchanges last week regarding SEO Gears...I believe you mentioned they had inserted the tracking code in my site.  If that were the case...shouldn't these fields be populated?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Yes, I placed it in the Site Footer. That is odd. It is on the published site. Next time you publish let me know and I will check that it is still live. Maybe the SEO team has another method. I'll check with them again.
Photo of david2953

david2953

I have not published the new site yet.  I am still working on getting each page updated with SEO stuff.  In the process of doing that I notice there is a place for meta tags...I think that also needs populated by SEO Gears?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I would not think so. The tracking code should go in the Site footer HTML under Manage > Advanced. That way you enter it only once for all pages.
Photo of Charles2535

Charles2535

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I cant seem to find it under the link above. only a blank page is displayed. any thoughts on site map anyone?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The site map should be auto generated each time you publish.
Photo of Clairice2888

Clairice2888

• 894 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I find myself confused, once again. How do I add a sitemap to Google? I am at the point in Webmaster tools where it has: 
Add/Test Sitemap
http://www.theveteransvoice.com/ ________________________
Test Submit Cancel

However, I have no idea what goes in that blank. Can anyone tell me?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

just add sitemap.xml. The sitemap is generated by the builder.
Photo of Clairice2888

Clairice2888

• 894 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Awesome! Thank you! :-)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're welcome

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.