Sitebuilder Shutdown

• Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I have a question. It seems that whener I am updating or adding new images or even just moving things around on my site pages, If I am on the Homestead sitebuilder for more than 20 to 30 minutes, it freezes up so I cannot save or publish to the web, so I have to close it and re-open it and sometimes re-edit what I already did, but this time hitting the 'Save' button every few seconds to make sure I don't lose my new changes. Any suggestions why this happens and what to do about to stop it from happening?
Thanks for your help!
Photo of J.MichaelPiper

J.MichaelPiper

• 394 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • Want To Throw Laptop like a Frisbee!

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of gina0157

gina0157

• 60 Points
I have the same problem so called HS and was told to use the online editor, and was told to have a good day. No offer to help fix the the other
Photo of Colin6646

Colin6646

• 60 Points
I Have the same problem, Sitebuilder is the worst program I have used to build websites with. Is there any other program we can use to build and publish to HomeStead or are we stuck with it?
Photo of J.MichaelPiper

J.MichaelPiper

Hi Colin and Gina,
It's the only one I know of after trying quite a few different ones online that works good...when it's working right...it's just as of late that this crash problem has sprung up on me...well Gina, we'll have to band together and bitch like crazy to Homestead! lol Maybe if we just uninstall the builder then reinstall...going to try that first...but somehow I don't think that will eliminate the problem completely...there has to be trick of some sort that will stop it from freezing up after 20 or 30 mins or so...just have to figure that out....or bombard homestead to make a fix for it!
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 5,960 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You all are not alone. I spent two hours building one page today that in the past would have taken ~ thirty minutes.

The problem is Inuit and their new "Site Builder Plus" garbage.

It is a crap shoot, I have to add text on one computer and add pictures on another.....and hope like hell everything turns out okay. It never does on the first try, sometimes you have to redo things as many as five plus times!

If they, Inuit/Homestead can't get things working like they used to I will have no choice but go elsewhere. My income depends on it!!!!!!
Photo of Removed

Removed

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have had the same problem but I noticed that it only happened on pages that were quite large in terms of text and images. We have a store front and once I noticed that if the page that I was building or editing became fairly lengthy, the program started locking up. It took a while to find the right length or size but I dont have the problem anymore.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

• 28,258 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi,

Thanks for all the posts.

Through the past several years I've seen several things that can cause the program to freeze.

1. Because it runs off your computer, it can consume a lot of processing speed. Make sure you don't have a lot of programs open at the same time as if your computer is too bogged down, it will start to freeze up.

2. Richard is right with a lot of files, pics, etc...on one page. Try to limit the size of how big you make a page.

3. Open tabs. If you aren't working on certain pages in the desktop program, try to close some of the tabs open. The less you have, the faster the program will run.

4. Publish often. I know it's not ideal, but if you publish often (every 10-15 min) it keeps the program running rather smoothly.

5. Close out of the program and open it after an hours use. Again, not ideal but I see it usually start out around 35,000-40,000K in memory and after an hour its into the Millions. Restarting the program after an hour will ensure that it isn't consuming all your computers resources.

Unfortunately the program was created using Microsoft Java Virtual Machine which is no longer updated. So as operating systems upgrade, they are getting more and more away from this java. One other idea:

Right click on the Sitebuilder Desktop icon and choose properties. When the little window opens, click the compatibility tab. Try to run the program in a different mode such as Windows XP.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of J.MichaelPiper

J.MichaelPiper

Hey Chris, and everyone who wrote under my post,
Thank you so very much for the help...My website at ArtimationsDesignComp.com is going to go through a few changes over the weeks, and from some of the things that have been stated here, hopefully the new redesign will make a significant change and hopefully make the site run faster for everyone, including the builder! Thanks for everyone's input on this subject matter...we all have the tool to do with as we want, but as with age, comes certain limitations, and so until something better is digital doctor prescribed, maybe we will be the ones to further the reprograming to make sitebuilder become aces again!
If you wish to see my great reviewed site, which was given "A Damn Good Site" review, here's my site address: http://www.artimationsdesigncomp.com/
Free Screen Savers, Wallpapers, Dreamscene video, CG Rendered Artistic Nudes, Links to my YouTube Videos and oh so much more! Enjoy and have a great Year!

Sincerely,

J.Michael
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

• 318 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
@Chris Folmer:

Re: "Unfortunately the program was created using Microsoft Java Virtual Machine which is no longer updated. So as operating systems upgrade, they are getting more and more away from this java."

I have tried the web-based program and have absolutely no desire to use it. With your above comment, I am concerned that the PC based SiteBuilder will be phased out. What is Homestead doing to take care of their users who prefer not to work with SiteBuilder Lite/Plus?
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi SisterC,

Thanks for posting! The direction Homestead is taking is towards the online Plus version. I don't believe they plan on updating the desktop version anytime soon as any updates or improvements are only being made to the online platform. The biggest issue is the Microsoft Virtual Machine as with newer operating systems, it's making it harder and harder to install the program.

I do agree there are bugs within the plus version that need to be addressed before it can become just as stable as the desktop version. Hopefully in the near future it will work as expected.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

Thanks for the clarification, Chris. Do you have an estimation of when Homestead will stop supporting the PC version?
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi,

As far as I know we will always support it until the day Microsoft comes out with an operating system that won't install the Java Virtual Machine. Each agent has the desktop version on their computer and knows how to use it so as long as you have Windows 7 or below, you should always be able to use the software. There are a few bugs being worked out with Windows 8 as this is the first operating system that is giving us difficulty with the virtual machine, but there are a few work arounds.

I don't foresee Homestead every stopping the ability for you to use the desktop version as so many people still use it.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

Why not continue to update and maintain the PC version since, as you said, "so many people still use it?" If that's the case, why leave it to die? Or, develop and offer us another non-internet based alternative.
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

That last comment was a question. Is anyone going to answer it?
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi SisterC,

Sorry for overlooking the last comment you had. All I know is the direction that Homestead wanted to go down was an Internet based solution to not only allow people to access the website editing software no matter where there are in the world, but also make it compatible with other operating systems such as MAC. I do agree the desktop version has lot of benefits, but hopefully the plus version will one day be just as good or better.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

I have to admit that I'm disappointed, but it's your prerogative to choose your focus as a company. Thanks.
Photo of Removed

Removed

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I share Chris' concerns. I have never liked SiteBuilder Lite/Plus and am worried that the PC Based SiteBuilder will become extinct. Can someone address these concerns?
Photo of SisterC

SisterC

I was commenting on Chris' comment - I'm not Chris. :)
SisterC
Photo of Bully84

Bully84

• 254 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Please keep the desktop SiteBuilder and make it compatible with Windows 8. Sincerely, Bully84, a Homestead user since May, 2000.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Bully84,

You should be able to install Sitebuilder Desktop on your windows 7 or 8 machine now, please let me know if you're having trouble doing so.

Thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of Joseph7576

Joseph7576

• 72 Points
Just got a new computer with windows 8 and my sitebuilder keeps crashing. It took me over an hour to upload a page and 20 crashes. I have to update all my changes again the next day from my work computer using XP. Could it be that homestead has finally bit the dust?. I have too much time an efford invested but i cannot get an answer from homestead that explains why this is hapening.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Joseph7576,

Sorry for the delay in response - Please uninstall the current version of sitebuilder that you're using and download/install this version:

Sitebuilder Desktop (windows 8 Homestead Users)

*publish all your work before uninstalling so that you don't lose anything when uninstalling/reinstalling

Let me know if this works better for you, thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of Marty1925

Marty1925

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just uninstall sitebuilder and download the the version above and guess what happened? I add 3 photos to my site and saved the page and then went to publish it and sitebuilder stopped working and shut down on me like it did before!!!
WE NEED A REAL FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM!!!!
Photo of Bully84

Bully84

• 254 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I guess I'm the lucky one. The Win 8 Desktop Site Builder program works for me.

I suggest that Homestead publish the system requirements needed. Maybe you guys don't have enough RAM or something.
Photo of Marty1925

Marty1925

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Nope!! I have 6GB's of RAM and a 750 GB hard drive so that is not the problem. And yeah you are lucky!! I having to use two lap tops to try and get my web site updated!!! I'm using an old one that has windows XP to upload photos and then using my new one with windows 8 to add anything but photos.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Marty1925,

Please see my response here.

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of Joseph7576

Joseph7576

• 72 Points
I gave up working at home with my windows 8 computer. I have to stay late at work and use xp pro and it works fine. A royal pain and looking for ather solution.
Guidera48
Www.hunter37.com
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Joseph7576,

Please see my response here for help with the installation of Sitebuilder on Windows 8.

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of Jen5630

Jen5630

• 62 Points
I just downloaded site builder that is compatible with Windows 8, but i can't get it to open. It starts to open then it gets stuck on initializing gui and just stays there. I need to update my sites and I can't do it. This is VERY annoying!
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Jen5630,

Sorry for the delay -

If you're still having trouble with your sitebuilder launching, please try doing a clean install.

Uninstall the current version have and download this version of sitebuilder:
Homestead Sitebuilder.

Let me know if the issue persists, thanks.

Ehsan
Photo of Betty4390

Betty4390

• 60 Points
jen5630 I am having the same problem and no help from anyone at homestead. I've been told over and over again the same thing, uninstall and install again. Done that over 20 times since Feb. Then told it's because I'm on satilite. Been on satilte since with homestead. Then told today that homestead doesn't support the desk top version of sitebuilder. After being on hold over 30 minutes, the rep had no answer and hung up on me! very dissapointed with this new homestead.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Betty4390,

Sorry for the delay -

I see you've spoken with another representative and have switched over to Sitebuilder Plus.

Please let me know if I can offer further assistance, thanks.

Ehsan
Photo of Doug4390

Doug4390

• 60 Points
I just spent 2 days updating what used to take me 2 hours. I haven't changed anything in a few years and suddenly the system shuts down on me every couple of minutes. Frustrating. Unless there are changes soon I'll have to seek another platform.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Doug4390,

Sorry for the delay and your frustrations. I see that you're currently using the desktop version of sitebuilder, would you be interested in trying the online version (sitebuilder plus) to see if that works better for you?

Thanks,
Ehsan

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.