SiteBuilder Plus Spell Check Icon

• Idea
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: The major browsers have spell checkers built in, so there is no need to add this feature to Sitebuilder Plus. To see how to enable the spell check in your browser, click the link below. https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_can_i_enable

While doing some editing on my website on SiteBuilder Plus , I was trying to find the "spell check icon". I called the help desk at Intuit and the person who answered my called informed me that the SiteBuilder Plus does not have that capability, which I was so surprised. When I started constructing my website a couple of years back, it did have a "spell check icon". Why would they take it away?
Photo of Isabel1872

Isabel1872

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

• 28,258 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Isabel,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting!

That is a great question. I'm not sure why the spell check feature wasn't added to the plus version. I've turned your question into an idea so others can agree that it would be a great feature to have. I've also sent this to our product and development team to further investigate.

Thanks again!

Chris
Photo of Isabel1872

Isabel1872

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you very much Chris, I really hope they put the "Spell Check" back. Now, the way you have to do it, is by copying the content into a word document and once the word document checks the spelling you have to paste it back into the website. To me that doesn't sound very efficient, does it?
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

I completely agree!
Photo of Dale8070

Dale8070

• 60 Points
The old system I used which was loaded on my laptop kept crashing and shutting down, so I had to perform repeated saves. When I called the help center they told me to start using Sitebuider plus to avoid that. I was told "It is Much Better'. Now I find out one of the basic functions of any computer system like spell check is not available? And I am fumbling around to find other functions that I counted on to get the job done is missing or hard to find? What rocket scientist made that decision? How is it better? Look, we decide and continue to use products because we are comfortable with them. Whenever companies make products less user friendly and less comfortable for their long term loyal customers, the people that made that decision should be fired. I guess I go back to using the old system and deal with the system crashes while I look for a new web service.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Dale,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry for the frustration. Our product and dev team are looking into getting this feature added back in. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thanks!

Chris
Photo of Michael7830

Michael7830

• 60 Points
I agree. I liked using the spell check.
Photo of Scott6036

Scott6036

• 60 Points
Spell check is very much needed. Please add ASAP!
Photo of Angela W

Angela W

• 6,540 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the feedback! It is still under consideration.
Photo of Elizabeth0381

Elizabeth0381

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree! Spell check is needed on to update a website! Pleas add this ASAP!
Photo of victor8414

victor8414

• 60 Points
Mike,

That does not seem to be good customer service when you are sending your customers to other sites for a service you should be providing. Not a very good excuse. Now we have to have another program in the computer that we have to load and log into for a very simple service.

Victor
Photo of Michael5846

Michael5846

• 60 Points
What is so surprising is that the older desktop version of Site Builder has MANY MANY more good features INCLUDING Spell Checker but Homestead has decided NOT to update the desktop version of Site Builder leaving most of us to use the Online Site Builder which has much LESS features. I LOVED the desktop version of Site Builder which I used for over 5 years but Homestead decided NOT to update it which I think was a BIG mistake.
Photo of Barbara8105

Barbara8105

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
There's not a red alert "signal" much less the spell check. Please bring it back!!!
Photo of Dan3400

Dan3400

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
who creates a text editor feature and doesnt include a spell checker, wow I think I am not going to like the PLUS.
Photo of Jennifer1590

Jennifer1590

• 96 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
need a spell check really bad!!!!!
Photo of stanheasley1795

stanheasley1795

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Would'nt be better just to have a dictionary handy instead of putting it in a text doc and then convert it back?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Something many of you will find very handy is that if you open the SiteBuilder in Firefox, you'll find that Firefox has an automatic spell checker built right into it. It will highlight any misspelled words with the red squiggly underline in the text box right as you are typing.

I hope this helps all of you!

Mike
Photo of Elleneditz

Elleneditz

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Maybe you are trying to get rid of us?
Really this is another major problem. Isn't the core of any site content and doesn't that require words and shouldn't we be able to expect that Homestead has included this simplest of features? How hard could it be to add it? What do we get for continuing to support this program? It's not like its cheaper than other options.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Official Response
I know it's very frustrating to not have a spell check, or to spell check your text in another application, then copy and paste. Your comments are being seen by our developers and hopefully they will integrate a spell check feature in the future.

Here are some links that should help everyone out. Some people don't realize this but all of the major web browsers either have a spell check built-in already, or have an add-on that can easily be installed. In most cases you just need to turn on the feature.

Here are instructions to turn on the spell check feature for the major browsers.

Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...

Chrome: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/...

Safari: http://basics4mac.com/article.php/tur...

Internet Explorer: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie...
Photo of Dan3400

Dan3400

Mike F
It seems to me you and your team are taking one of the best platforms for amateurs authoring web sites and watering it down with you new Site Builder " Plus". I tried your new and improved Site Builder Plus, which as I understand you are making us move to as you are not supporting the original Home Site Builder, and moved back as quickly as I could to the "old" platform". Your Plus reminds me of Vista Print which doesn’t hold a candle to the "old” Homestead platform. I have been with Homestead of almost 10 years and since Intuit bought it seems to be slowly deteriorating and their absolutely inexplicable position for the past two months to something that your users are asking for, put a spell check on already.
Photo of Lillian5078

Lillian5078

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I need a spell checker for my website. Any suggestions?

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
how can i add a spell checker.
Photo of Penny6409

Penny6409

• 604 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hurry I'm dyslectic (even had to look that up) and site builder plus has really slowed me down a lot, i need that spell check button.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This is still under consideration, but for immediate relief, all major web browsers have a built in spell checker. Depending on which one you use, you might have to enable it.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of earl6120

earl6120

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am not a fan of this "New" Site Builder Plus. I can pick a face to describe how this topic makes me feel, (look below) but I cant get a Spell Check, very weak Homestead!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This is still under consideration, but for immediate relief, all major web browsers have a built in spell checker. Depending on which one you use, you might have to enable it.

In Firefox, at least, it doesn't even require you to press a button. It will immediately underline any word it doesn't recognize. Then you can right click on the word. You will see suggestions to pick from, or an add to dictionary.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Dan3400

Dan3400

Just keep your mitts off the regular Site Builder. Thank You.
Photo of Larry0969

Larry0969

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Actually IE 9 does not have one and neither does MS. We are forced to down load bug filled junk ad ons because Homestead has cheaped out.

Actually this comment has to do with the new email client and not Sitebuilder. FWIW
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

The safest thing to do is upgrade to a current browser IE10 has been out for about a year now and has a built-in spell check that works very well.
Photo of LisaAkaThumper

LisaAkaThumper

• 636 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Well isn't this lovely. I was jsut "upgraded" to SiteBuilder Plus after years upon years of using the original desktop version and WTF, no spell check/correct!? I have a form of dyslexia from a concussion suffered in an auto accident years ago, it makes me transpose letters, so I really need a spell checker that helps me correct stuff! I don't just want a friggin red squiggly line, I need a spell check that also corrects! :( Guh.
Photo of LisaAkaThumper

LisaAkaThumper

• 636 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Well I made sure spell check was enabled in FF, so I have that, but sheesh. Now to see if it even works in SBP.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.