SiteBuilder Plus ~ for old Homestead dogs...don't fear new tricks!

• Praise
  • Updated 3 months ago
Ok... I was fearful of nothing- using Homestead for 10+yrs- freaked out that the infamous Sitebuilder software couldn't keep up with times- "hustled" into a change over to SiteBuilder Plus while working with support team on Sitebuilder fix- WOW! Homestead doesn't let you down AGAIN! Roll with the changes my friends...the SiteBuilder Plus is BETTER than anything I have used from Homestead to date- glitch free- fast-responsive-intuitive- AND I can use it ANYWHERE! Thanks Homestead for not letting us down! www.dobass.com
Photo of Rory9130

Rory9130

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,428 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your Feedback Rory,

I'm glad you like it. We know it's not perfect but we are constantly working on it. Some people do struggle with it but it's usually because it just takes a little time to get familiar with it. The vast majority of people that try it out, never go back to the old version.

Thanks again!!

Mike
Photo of Alexandre9212

Alexandre9212

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have a lot Oops message while working with new version or message telling me that the form i attempt to load is not there or was deleted. Pasting widgets result in a message asking to call them if it does not work. I am not very impressed so far.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 258,852 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
These are side effects of the migration and will end, once it has been completed.
Photo of Kaye4782

Kaye4782

• 70 Points

I am wondering why my website starts doing weird things when I go to edit each page.  It's like it has a mind of its own.  This has been happening everything I get on the Website Manager from Website Plus.  I can't get anyone in tech and the phone tells me that Homestead has been receiving a high volume of calls and call back later.  If the tech team is out today because of Memorial Day, shouldn't the phones and the email state that???? How unprofessional!

Photo of Kaye4782

Kaye4782

• 70 Points

I work with Windows 8 and it must be why the Sitebuilder Plus is not working properly.  I had this same problem a while back because Homestead apparently doesn't have the ability to keep up with the times. 

Photo of William S

William S

• 18,858 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

SiteBuilder Plus is updated to work with Windows 8 so there are no compatibility issues. What kind of errors are you having with SiteBuilder?
Photo of Ruben8365

Ruben8365

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I still see where there are inconsistencies and it does not allow you to do many easy functions as the downloaded version. I have 900 customers that are on Homestead because I have recommended it to them. 150 have left the service because of the diminishing service. I was just told today that I should find another service provider if I didnt want to upgrade to sitebuilder plus. That after 20+ years of being a customer. 
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 42,860 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ruben I too have been with Homestead since it's infancy and yelled and screamed when SiteBuilder Plus came out and I learned that the desktop version would no longer be upgraded...the handwriting was on the wall.
I have only used Plus for a couple of clients, don't like it. nuff said
However, when they released the new cloud version, Websitebuilder, I gave it a go and although there was a learning curve and there are some things that need to be fixed, I like the program and the fact that it is responsive so mobile is 'built in'. I'm moving all my clients over to it because it's just time to go with a builder that gives a more updated look and meets Google's demands.
You might take a look and try it out. And whoever told you to find another provider if you didn't want to upgrade to plus ought to be out looking for a new job.

Cheers
Photo of Patrece4532

Patrece4532

• 128 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Ruben,

Do you know hoe I can switch my website from Sitebuilder to the New platform without taking down my old site while I build it??
Photo of Linda1081

Linda1081

• 976 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
From my understanding you can certainly build a new site in the new Website Builder without disturbing your old site.  That being said, you cannot transfer your site over to it but must start from scratch.  When finished and satisfied, Drew will transfer your domain name over to the new site.  You can take as long as you want to build your new site without disrupting your old site.
Photo of Wanda7631

Wanda7631

• 60 Points
How do I get started with the new website builder without disturbing my old site?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 42,860 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
To use the newest site builder program, Website Builder, you have to have the package that allows more than one site.  You can add a site for $2.00/month and when you are finished building your new site and switch it over you can cancel the extra site.

If you already have a multi-site package then log in to your account, choose 
Websites Manager from the left hand menu then click on Add New Website option that appears at the top right of the page.

A page opens that asks you to name your site. This can be anything as once you have finished the site it will be transferred to your regular domain name. Your existing site remains up and active just as it is now until such time as you decide to make the switch.

Once you name the site you will be asked to choose a template. If you prefer to build from scratch simply choose any template and delete all the elements to get a blank.

You do have to rebuild the site as your current one can't be copied over. It's relatively easy by just opening your current site in the browser and copy any content you want to keep and paste it into the new site. Images will have to be uploaded though.

Hopefully this will help get you started. Drew can help get you set up with the additional site if you need it - just post here that you want to do it.
Photo of Drew N

You would need to add sites for $2/month. I can add that for you if you like.
Photo of Pablo

Pablo

• 444 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The site builder is very easy to use, true. But there should be more features.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

We are always open to new ideas and suggestions! What specifically would you like to see added?

Mike
Photo of gerriharveyart1070

gerriharveyart1070

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am webmaster for three sites. I am an old dog. The third new site is forcing me to use SieBuilder Plaus, along with a template instead of starting from scratch, which I like to do, and so far, I hate it. Every time I try to do anything, I get a pop up menu I have to close, it is like having a fly buzzing around my head. How is this better? I have quit in frustration.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

If you prefer to start from scratch follow the instructions here: https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of bos6093543

bos6093543

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I do not like the virtual sitebuilder too.  Please bring back the "old" sitebuilding that I can download to my desktop.  I would think it would bein your interest to make your old dogs happy as I doubt any young people use homestead when they have much more enhanced systems to ues in this new fangled world.  I left fore several years, am back now and still don't see a way of downloading sitebuilder.  I may have to drop out again. 

Photo of Drew N

Hi bos6093543,

Sitebuilder Plus has some features that are not compatible with the desktop version, so it will not be able to use the desktop version. 

If you want to use the desktop, you would be better off re-opening your old account.  You can do that by contacting support during the week, or create a new conversation here in the community and tick the checkbox that says, Make this conversation private, then only you and I will see it.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

• 2,456 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Yes I don't see the advantages of site builder plus as far as linking and alt words in pictures. It is a new world and too confusing if your a Pro at Sitebuilder which I am. It takes me one hour to do the same work I can do in 20 minutes in site builder. There are no options to move all pictures to the bottom and add new ones to the top. I have a flat screen TV for a monitor  and site builder plus isn't as wide as my page is and I use only 1000 as a setting. When I can see the whole page on sitebuilder.
Photo of J2295

J2295

• 276 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Mileen3055 I agree -
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

I hope Homestead never decides it's time to completely do away with the desktop version because I think, for me anyways, it will be the end of our relationship! I agree completely!! I have been able to always work with it even on Windows XP. I deleted sitebuilder and did a clean install during migration. When others were having problems mine was still working! I tried Sitebuilder plus and the work I did for an hour was a PAIN! I could do it in 15 minutes on the Older version of Sitebuilder desktop!!
(Edited)
Photo of J2295

J2295

I asked for help a few days ago and don't see my post - I am switching back & forth between desktop on old laptop & SB Plus of 8.1 laptop - will there be any problems ?
Also, cannot figure out how to grab multiple images & text to copy and/or move - can someone help ??
I have been with HS since 1999...
Photo of Drew N

It depends on what you are doing. Sitebuilder desktop doesn't support HTML 5 code or png files. Sitebuilder Plus doesn't support some older elements from desktop. For the most part, things should work between the two.
Photo of J2295

J2295

OK got it - so, how do I grab multiple elements to move them together on my page with Sitebuilder Plus ?
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

Use your control key on your PC and click on all of the elements you wnat to move down, then just drag down.
Photo of Rory9130

Rory9130

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Every feature I have used in 10 years and over 200 published pages from Sitbuilder is located somewhere in the Plus version- definately took a short while (2 hours) to catch on to the new moves...also finding many intuitive features that were not available...but please give us more! :)
Photo of S

S

• 6,620 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yes, I have seen quite an improvement in Sitebuilder Plus over the past couple months. I have been able to correct issues I have experienced with Navigation from the Desktop to Plus conversion. Still have 'unwanted' italics ...but Kudos to all.
Photo of Drew N

Thanks Sally,

I am glad that your experience is improving.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of c0140

c0140

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Anyway to download and use the site builder off line, like before?
I dont always have internet when working on a site!
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

c0140, Please refrain from making duplicate posts, as this only slows down our response time for answering questions for yourself and others on the Community. Thank you.
Photo of Lori4662

Lori4662

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Almost 13 years here....still love it!
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

• 1,322 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm kind of late to the party.. I don't know how I missed the information about Site Builder Plus, but I had no idea there was such a thing until I contacted Homestead to make sure my website program would work with Windows 8. I've had my website for 11 years and can remember the last big program change years ago, when everyone was freaking out. .At the time, I loved it.. I have now switched over to Plus, and just wish I'd known about it sooner.. I love working on my website again. For the last several years, it's been so slow and constantly locked up on my old XP laptop, I dreaded having to change anything on it. Now, with Windows 8, the Plus is very efficient, runs smoothly, is fast and very easy to use.. Once I was switched over, all of my sub domains were automatically pulled over, too. It's been problem free and I'm so glad I contacted Homestead to find out how it works with windows 8, because if I hadn't, I'd still be struggling with the old program. 
Photo of Drew N

Hi Karen5787,

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. Let us know if you need anything.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Karen5787

Karen5787

• 1,322 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I need to eat my words.. After struggling with site builder plus for the last 4 months, I was ready to pull my hair out. I've switched back to the desktop version, and I got more work done on my website last night than I've managed to complete all summer. When I first switched to SiteBuilder Plus, it seemed like a much more efficient program, because I had started having a lot of problems with the desktop version. At the time I switched, I had bought a new laptop with Window's 8.1. I now realize the problems I was experiencing prior to this was due to my old laptop and window's XP. Since I'm now using Windows 8.1, the desktop version is relatively fast again. I much prefer the desk top version for many, many reasons, and I'm just glad there was the option to switch back to it.. If there wasn't that option, I would be searching for another website program (after 11 years with Homestead).. That's how much I dislike the Plus option.. I hope Homestead never decides it's time to completely do away with the desktop version because I think, for me anyways, it will be the end of our relationship!
Photo of Drew N

Karen5787,

We have no plans to discontinue the desktop version at this time.

Drew
Photo of Mileen3055

Mileen3055

The old homestead isn't there any more.The ones that knew exactly how tohelp you and walk yo through things no longer exist. They have to refer to their instructions to give you the steps because they have not been there as long as you have been building your webites,
Photo of James4334

James4334

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
all my sound files are gone - I'm on for many years with my desk top - Help
Photo of Drew N

James4334, can you start a new topic. We'll take a look.
Photo of James4334

James4334

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
my sound files have stopped working ?
Photo of Jerald8593

Jerald8593

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hey Drew,  I currently have a site built with sitebuilder and have been using it for years.  I started building a new site on website builder back in March.  It is finally ready to go.  How do I switch to the new version?  I see the upgrade button but I was chicken to proceed.  Is that all I need to do?  Any help you can provide is welcome.

Thanks,
Rich
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 13,866 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Making this a separate question since it isn't related to original question.

Please reference the new conversation here: Change site association.
Photo of beno

beno, Official Rep

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Elyzabeth,

How can Homesteaders in this conversation make sure they're subscribed to the new conversation

-Beno
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 13,866 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi there Beno!

This question that Rich posted was a good question, but wasn't relevant to the original reason for the post. That is why I moved the question to make it a separate stand-alone conversation. The rest of the Homesteaders on this post, as far as we know from what they posted on this thread, don't need the same information that Rich needed to resolve his issue. To prevent complaints of spam, we don't want to have our customers following a thread they don't need, but Rich is definitely subscribed. If any of the members on this thread do need information about changing their site association, they can click on the link in my comment to go to the new conversation or I would recommend this article that they can definitely follow to subscribe to!
https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/how_can_i_switch_my_domain_to_a_new_site_i_built
-Elyzabeth