Is Sitebuilder Desktop being phased out?

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I am having a discussion with another homstead customer. He is telling me that he cannot use sitebuilder and the only option is site builder plus. He is telling me that sitebuilder will be phased out and I will be switched over to site buider plus. I think he has beem mis informed?? what you say?
Photo of Dodger

Dodger

• 566 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

• 28,258 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dodger,

Thanks for posting.

Although we are heading in the direction of having most people use sitebuilder plus, there is no talks about phasing out the desktop version. There are many people that still use and prefer the desktop program. Currently only updates are being made to the plus program, but that won't stop you from still being able to use the desktop software.

We can always change an account between sitebuilder desktop and plus. Unfortunately if you built a website using the plus software, you won't be able to use the desktop version. However you can open up your sites you built with desktop in the plus to make edits.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of toxselma1526

toxselma1526

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'd rather use the desktop Sitebuilder than the web based Plus. When I tried to login to Sitebuilder for my latest site it states I can't use Suitebuilder to design it.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi toxselma1526,

Because you chose a template when you were on sitebuilder plus only, it won't actually let you open it using the desktop version. To use the desktop version, you would unfortunately need to start over and choose a new template design.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Chris
Photo of Dodger

Dodger

toxselma 1526....After reading your reply, I launched sitebuilder from my desktop with out any problems.

Chris Flomer, I captured your response and sent it to the Homestead customer with whom I have been having the discussion with regarding my topic.

He wrote me back and said this:.......

" I called Homestead and the rep told me that they are indeed phasing out the downloaded version of Site Builder and the reason for it is the number of calls they get for "download issues." He explained that all newer reps are not even trained on this version and have been directed to tell everyone to go to Site Builder Plus. He then told me that he could switch me back to the downloaded version of Site Builder, but he could not help me with any issues regarding it. For that, I would have to open a support ticket which could take up to 72 hours for a response."

Lots of conflicting answers from support that needs to be addressed. Customers are confused and so am I.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Dodger,

I'm sorry for the confusion. Technically the sitebuilder desktop version is being phased out, but not how you perceive it. Any new signups are automatically put into the Sitebuilder Plus only version so they aren't aware that there is a desktop version. However, for anybody that still uses the desktop version (would of had to signup at least a year ago or so), that platform won't go away and you will still be able to use it.

There are still thousands of people who use the desktop version as it was around for 12+ years. I personally prefer the desktop version as well as I like some of it's features such as having page tabs at the top rather than having to select a page one at a time in the plus version.

As far as us not supporting the desktop version, I've never heard of that and am not sure why someone would of said that. Every agent has the desktop version on their computer and can troubleshoot the basics. In fact, the support ticketing system is being phased out as nobody wants to wait 72 hours for a response.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of Dodger

Dodger

Thank you Chris, This certainly clarifies and elucidated any confusion that I had. I have been around the 12+ years using the desktop version,and I to like the desktop sitebuilder and do not like sitebuilder plus.I sent an email to the gentlemen that had the issue and hopefully your explanation will be beneficial to him also.
Again, thanks for the timely response.

Roger
Photo of Karsun

Karsun

• 500 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm totally annoyed with this. I left GoDaddy because they too phased out their desktop publisher and now I cannot choose a new template unless I only use the online site builder and I'd much rather use the desktop version. Not cool, Intuit.
Photo of Debra3586

Debra3586

• 70 Points
Funny! I own a small advertising agency and have been using homestead for about 4 to 5 years to design websites for my smaller clients that want to maintain it themselves after I design the site. I use desktop sitebuilder all the time and today when I set up another clients account the "Live Chat" Lawrence S. Typed "We no longer support Sitebuilder desktop." I suppose that Homestead is trying to phase out the desktop version eventually. After tellining Lawrence that I use the desktop all the time and a second request to please set it up, he said he did set desktop up for this client but desktop won't let me log on the my clients account.

Then earlier today around 11am Renell C told me that their live chat would be available until 5pm pacific time. At 4:30 pacific time I tried to contact "live chat" to get assistance about this log in problem and it had a message they leave a 4pm.

Here lately it is common practice from homestead to get conflicting information from them.

I SO MISS the old homestead that had 7 days a week phone customer service! They have changed so much in the last year.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Debra,

I'm very sorry for the frustration.

1. For any new signups, you are correct in that you are only given the option for Sitebuilder Plus. However, your account can be switched to the desktop version. If you could please respond with the new account (beginning of the email address or domain name) I'd be more than happy to update that account. The desktop version is being phased out in that newer signups can't use it (or are even aware of it), however because so many people use the desktop version, there are no talks of getting rid of it.

2. I apologize for the misinformation regarding support. For your records.

Chat
Mon-Fri 6am -5:30pm PST
Sat & Sun 7am - 4pm PST

Phone
Mon-Fri 6am - 5:30pm PST

Thanks!

Chris
Photo of Dodger

Dodger

Debra, You do get conflicting info from Homestead. Always have and always will. However, Chris did say "technically the sitebuilder desktop version is being phased out." This is just for new signups. He also said folks that have the desktop version that platform will not go away. And support is still available. I took him for his word. I suppose other tech support needs to relay the explanation as he did. G'Luck with that!

I also have have business sites that I have built. But, I maintain them. You indicated that you let your clients maintain them themselves after you design them. I would like to do this also, Please give me some insight just how you do this. I would appreciate the info.You can contact me through one of my personal web sites. http://www.coal-miners-in-kentucky.com/

Thanks
Roger
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Thanks for responding Roger. I've spoken to the support managers to start relaying the correct information down to each agent. Unfortunately it's tricky to know what each person says, but we can definitely do a better job at staying consistent.

Chris
Photo of Dodger

Dodger

Chris, I have been around and with Homestead just about since it beginning. You would laugh at some of the sites that were built in the early days. Technology and Homestead site builder has come a long ways. I just want to say thank you for the timely and extraordinary expertise to solve and communicate with US, the customers. Homestead has shown improvement in customer support over the years, as they should have!
Photo of Jim5530

Jim5530

• 716 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm with Kim on this, and I think the Intuit chaps may be missing a trick. Anybody living in a city is likely to have continuous broadband, but those of us who live out in the wilds, or are mobile, need the ability to make pages and changes offline. That means a laptop with a desktop version. One chap I know has rather intermittent satellite service in the islands of Scotland, others live in darkest Devon (UK) where the phone lines are made of wet string. Both have to drive into a nearby hotspot to send, and certainly don't want to have to compose there as well. I noticed a few years ago that the software was changed so that you had to be on line before getting access to the editor. That's why they can't use Homestead. There is a danger of Homestead becoming only suitable for 'mainstream users' and any minorities can look elsewhere. And I still don't want emoticons. Jim
Photo of Karsun

Karsun

Well there's my emoticon for them. What sucks even more is that at the very least I could maybe understand not having the new template choices. However, I can only have one or the other and that annoys me even more. I can't even play with the online version to see if it might win me over without making a call and having it switched. Then if I hate it, like I always have, I have to then call again to switch it back.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Kim,

I'm very sorry for the frustration and I do appreciate all the feedback you've given. I've updated your account to be able to toggle between either the desktop or online version. This way you won't have to call in if you would like to try out the other platform.

Thanks!

Chris
Photo of Karsun

Karsun

That is very much appreciated, Chris. I can't wait to look it the new templates. :)
Photo of Karsun

Karsun

Okay but how do I do that? I went to try out the new templates and still have the old ones. Thanks so much for your time.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Kim,

Sorry for the confusion. Please first open one of your websites (best to use karsundesignsphotography) using the Sitebuilder Plus program. Once you are in the editing software, click on your domain or site name at the top and select the "choose new design" link. This will take you into the new gallery.

Thanks!

Chris

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.