Sitebuilder crashing on windows 7.

• Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived

This conversation was archived and is no longer visible to community members.

My sitebuilder crashes unexpectedly everytime I edit now that it is installed on Windows 7. Is there a fix for this?
Photo of MajGh0st3

MajGh0st3

• 354 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Lynn

Lynn

• 3,272 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Every time that Sitebuilder updates, Windows 7 gives me an error message stating that the updating failed. I can still open my sites in Sitebuilder, but I can't publish anything. Also, another terrible problem is that I keep getting empty white boxes on my navigational links and logo, and it says "This Element is No Longer Available". What's up with that? One time, I hit publish and I lost my logo and navigational bars on a few pages. I went into a panic. I really thought it was a legitimate discontinued item so I went ahead and created a new graphic logo for the site. It was really late at night, and I was stuck creating a logo on a work night. I wasn't too happy when I found out it was simply a Windows 7 and Sitebuilder issue. If I open my sites with Windows XP, everything updates just fine and every element is just fine. At that time, I had to uninstall Sitebuilder and do a clean install. Since it was not that long ago, I really do not want to do it again. "Force Update" does not work either. It says that it was "successful" when it really was not. Is there a fix for this Windows 7--Sitebuilder problem?
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

• 39,954 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dave7607,

Please try uninstalling the version of sitebuilder you currently have installed and then download it using this link: Homestead Sitebuilder.

Let me know if the issue persists, thanks!

Ehsan
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

Is it true that if you download the other online version of Sitebuilder Plus and keep both versions installed, then the annoying problem with the "Element No Longer Available" will go away?
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Dave7607,

Sorry for the delay -

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean when you say keep both versions installed? Are you referring to the intuit vs homestead version or do you mean keeping both sitebuilder plus (online editor) as well as sitebuilder dekstop (downloaded)?

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

Now I don't really understand your question exactly. I didn't know there was an Intuit version. Is that the problem here? As far as I know I'm still using the Homestead desktop version, and I've used it for about 5 years. The difference is that I'm using Windows 7, and it is not compatible with the desktop Sitebuilder program. I have to get this "Element No Longer Available" thing fixed somehow. I am just trying to find a way to fix it. I can't change any information on my pages because if I Publish, the elements in the white boxes will all disappear. I read someone's post about using this online version while keeping the desktop version on your computer. I was just wondering if there was something to this suggestion. The online version is horrible so I'm doubting that it could ever fix anything, but I'm desperate here. (The notion of removing everything from your computer like Bling suggested is ludicrous.) I really wish tech support would get to the bottom of this.
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

Follow up: I decided to open the desktop version and the online version simultaneously, and the elements are all visible in both versions. I don't know if I will get the same results tomorrow though. We'll have to wait and see. I also don't know if I will have memory problems having both of these open at the same time. We'll have to see what happens with that as well. I'm using Chrome as my browser, and everything looks right.
Photo of JCBling

JCBling

• 2,464 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I found an area on my computer, that might help. Make sure you have Java 32 bit and 64 bit. At least it help me. Go to Java.com.

WWW.JCBling.com
http://Like Us on FaceBook
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

JCBling: When Java had their last security breach, I removed it from all of my computers. I told a Homestead rep, and she said that Sitebuilder didn't need Java. I would like a firm confirmation of that from Homestead.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Dave7607,

You will need either Microsoft Java Virtual Machine or Microsoft Visual J# to run Sitebuilder Desktop, depending on which version you're using (depending on your operatin system).

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

Now, I am still having the problem with the navigational links. Sitebuilder is still telling me that the "Element is No Longer Available". I need to make updates to my website right away. I really need some assistance in resolving this issue. I went to the trouble again to do a clean install, which is getting very old with me, and it did not solve this issue. If I make changes, I can't publish the pages because all of my navigational links will be deleted on those particular pages. Please help. Thank God I didn't update to Windows 8 since Sitebuilder hardly works with Windows 7!
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

I updated my Java as well.
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

I updated using this link from Homestead:
https://www.homestead.com/~site/Scrip...
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Dave7607,

Thank you for trying the clean install and updating your editor. Do you have this issue when you publish from desktop only or both desktop and plus. Also, have you tried creating a new navigation menu?

Thanks,
Ehsan
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

I'm using Homestead Sitebuilder desktop version. Are you kidding me about making a new navigation menu?????? Have you seen my navigation menu at http://www.lynnshomeliving.com ? I already had to redesign a logo late at night because it disappeared on one of my sites, only to find out later that it was exclusively a Windows 7 and Sitebuilder incompatibility issue, along with the navigational menu problems. I got an error message to re-name the elements and the navigation menu because they were discontinued items. I tried that but it failed.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Dave7607,

I was able open your site in desktop and edit your navigation menu without any error messages.

I think between the program crashing and it not updating properly a clean install would fix the issue. Doing a clean install requires removing all the local data on your computer so that when the program is re-installed, it downloads the working (published) files from our servers.

-----
On Windows 7, the Homestead Folder resides in a hidden (by default) called ProgramData.

After uninstalling Sitebuilder, go to Start > Computer > C:\

In the address bar of the window, (click so you can type) and enter:
C:\ProgramData > press enter > delete the Homestead Folder

Next, download/install Sitebuilder Desktop, using this link:
Homestead Sitebuilder for Windows 7

*be sure all of your most recent updates are published before uninstalling, deleting the homestead folder will remove all unpublished changes from your computer.
-----

If you're unfamiliar with doing a clean install and would prefer to have help, you can contact support to assist you with a clean install.

Let me know if a clean install helps resolve the issue or not.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

Been there, done that before. I'm not doing a clean install again. It does not solve the problem, and you really should stop suggesting it to people all of that time as the answer. It is not the answer to this problem. Take my word for it. I am trying to get use to using Sitebuilder Plus. When I have problems and get fed up, I load Sitebuilder Desktop. I work with both of them up. Sometimes the Desktop version will work and sometimes it won't. When I get totally fed up because I couldn't get either of the programs to cooperate, I close up my laptop and go to my old desktop computer and work on my sites with XP. I have no problems whatsoever with XP and my desktop computer. It's unfortunate that I am unable to use my laptop with Windows 7 and Sitebuilder Desktop. I'm using Sitebuilder Plus as often as possible since we are being forced to use it, but I don't care for it at all. Not being able to open more than one web page at a time is unbelievably inconvenient. Not being able to look at a PayPal button to confirm that everything is correct before Publishing is ridiculous. I can't believe that this feature has been removed from the program. Also, not being able to use the Bold feature without first highlighting the text is ridiculous and time-consuming as well. I could go on.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Dave7607 ,

I understand you're frustrated with the software not working on your laptop, unfortunately troubleshooting requires re-installing the software sometimes.

From what I understand, it sounds like the software never installed correctly on your new machine. Also, the navigation menu isn't loading properly, not allowing you to edit it.

part of a clean install is removing the local copy of your site files, which currently doesn't seem to be working as they should. When I loaded your site for the first time on my computer, I didn't receive the error you mentioned when trying to edit the navigation menu which means the published files are working.

I appreciate the feedback and will be sure to pass it along to our dev team.

Thank you,
Ehsan
Photo of Lynn

Lynn

The problem is not with the published pages. It's a Windows 7 and Sitebuilder Desktop problem. I am now using SiteBuilder Plus on my laptop. It takes longer to work with that program because of the one page at a time thing, but I get to use my laptop anyway. After I finally got all of the Homestead advertisement footers deleted from every single page, which took 1/2 day, I could get to work on my pages.
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Dave7607,

I understand the issue is with win 7 and sitebuilder and not the published pages which was my reason for asking you to do a clean install and remove any sitebuilder related files from your computer.

Please see my response to another community member (airsparrow toward the bottom of the thread) who also has win 7, she's now able to use sitebuilder desktop.

Hope that helps, thanks.

Ehsan
Photo of Janet9837

Janet9837

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have the same problem with home computer and work computer windows 7
also my index page doesn't work properly will not load web page properly on site builder www.euclidautoservice.com
Photo of Ehsan Zaheer

Ehsan Zaheer

Hi Janet9837,

Please try the following:

make sure all of your site files are currently published and then unisntall the current version of Sitebuilder you have on your computer.

Then:

1. Install Microsoft Visual J#
-- Right Click > Properties > Compatibility (tab) > Check the Compatibility checkbox, select XP (service pack 3) > Click ok

--Right Click > Run as Administrator > Install it

2. Download Sitebuilder install file: Homestead Sitebuidler,Win 7 x64

-- Right click HKinstaller.exe > Properties > Compatibility > Run as Win XP (same as previous step)

-- Right click > Run as Administrator

*Lastly, if you do not have .NET 2.0 Framework installed, please install that as well.

Please let me know if this works for you or not, thank you.

Ehsan