sitebuilder desltop

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archiving inactive content.

Cannot publish my website using desktop site builder. If I have to use new websitebuilder. What is the process to shift my websites from dwsktop site builder to Websitebuilder?
Photo of Asad8505

Asad8505

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,674 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

You'll be able to use Sitebuilder Plus, which is the online version of the desktop program. Just log in to your Homestead account and go to Websites Manager. Click Edit with Sitebuilder Plus.

If you want to use our newest builder, Website Builder, you would need to rebuild your site in that builder. To get started, log in to your Homestead account, go under Websites Manager and click "Add New Website" Give it a new site name (this is not a domain name, just a site name) and choose your design.
Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

• 5,040 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I know building a "new" site is scary, but it is worth it.  WebsiteBuilder is very very nice.  You will have to poke around with the new tools, but they are good as well.  The easiest way to do this is to open your "old" site in a separate window, grab all the photos and put them in a file to use later.  Then use cut & paste to transfer your text.  It will take a little while to do it all, but it is a much better platform and MOBILE FRIENDLY.  I've had none of the problems those using the older platforms have had in updating and publishing.  Sitebuilder just can't keep up with the newer technology. Take the leap!  I highly recommend it. 
Photo of Asad8505

Asad8505

Thanks. How can I build new site in websiteBuilder with the same domain name that I have already published with desktop sitebuilder?
Photo of Asad8505

Asad8505

Site builder plus does not seem to have all the features that were available in desktop site builder. Do you mean that homestead has stopped desktop sitebuilder? If this is so then why homestead did not inform us earlier so that we may switch our sites. What would be the responsibility of homestead in the present situation? I have 3 websites with homestead.

If I rebuild my websites with new names (not domain name) then how will I assign them the same domain names that I have?

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,674 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
We did not make a choice to discontinue the desktop builder, but it currently is not working. We are seeing if there is a way to fix it, but we can't guarantee that we will be able to. The program is very old and outdated. We haven't supported it for several years and have been recommending our customers switch over for quite some time now.
Sitebuilder Plus has most of the functionality that desktop did. There are a few elements that aren't typically used with websites these days that were removed and there are workarounds for most features that are no longer available. If you have specific questions for how to do something in Sitebuilder Plus, I would be happy to help.

For the new builder, once you finish building your site, we can switch the domain name over to the new site so it keeps the same name.
Photo of Asad8505

Asad8505

thank you.
Photo of Lynn1286

Lynn1286, Champion

• 5,040 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
When you "add a website" to rebuild the sites you have, you will be asked to name them something like: www.mycompanyname.homesteadcloud.com  When you are ready to go live with your new site, you will only have to re-associate your REAL domain name (in your domains manager that you see on the left at log-in) and the domain name will then go to the new site.  
Photo of Asad8505

Asad8505

Thank you so much.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.