Sitebuilder Desktop

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

Not being able to get into Sitebuilder Desktop to make time sensitive updates is reaching the point of being ridiculous. It has been two weeks now and no one seems to have a clue as to when this will be resolved. I have clients who depend on Christmas sales and we are not able to make updates. Is there anyone at this company who knows what is going on and when this will be resolved. My clients are losing money and I'm losing business! I've been with Homestead for 8 years....no warning...no information.....and no idea when paying customers can log into their accounts. Is there anyone in charge here????
Photo of Pat5311

Pat5311

• 652 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The transition to the new data centers is supposed to last through Dec. 12 according to posts Drew has made. Is Plus an option for you or is your account or sites too large?
Photo of Keith7184

Keith7184

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Be warned when sitebuilder desktop finally works:  your unpublished files will not be accessible through desktop.  You have to reinsert them from an old copy of the files pre-migration.  It is the ethical obligation for Homestead to notify people of this.  I've conversed with Drew about the problem of unpublished files and will do a "procedure" for this. 
Photo of Keith7184

Keith7184

Not sure where to post to to get attention and an answer, so I pressed this comment box.  

What happened to the chat box, where I could go online and get answers without having to call?  

Just now I encountered the phenomena of my pressing "publish" and thinking the pages were published, but then I noticed that they weren't appearing on the site.  

What happened?  What do I do?

Do the "published pages" go somewhere to reside in a cache that will eventually be published or must I keep all unpublished pages in my desktop sitebuilder until I can publish?  (In other words, can I rely on and have faith that if I press the publish button I can close the page I was working on and not lose track of what is unpublished????)

(This is happening on two different computers on two different sites, so I know it can't just be the software on one computer - so there is no possibility that I should re-download "uncorrupted" sitebuilder copies, etc.

Going into file manager, I see that the file, under status, still says "upload", which indicates that no upload is occurring. )
Photo of Pat5311

Pat5311

Thank you for your reply, susan2829.  To do something like this with no warning and at Christmas time when so many are dependent on this time for a huge percentage of their income... is totally irresponsible!  My service could be provided for free and they could never make up for the income and contacts my clients (and myself) are going to lose over this.  I have called in and all but ONE tech has basically acted like this is none of my business and they have nothing they can tell me....REALLY????  I have year end stuff to take care of cannot even access my list of domains within the Homestead site!!!

Susan...Sitebuilder Plus is not a good program.  It is not user friendly...thing are misaligned....and Homestead inserts their advertising on every page.  I have to remove it all page by page because my clients do not want it on their websites.  PLUS.....once I use it, it totally takes over my whole account and I am no longer able to use Sitebuilder Desktop.  I did this once a long time ago and will never touch it again.  Yes, I have a large account....probably 30 to 40 sites...(better than the 60+ I used to have when you have irate clients threatening to go elsewhere every day.  After 8 years with Homestead...I am seriously thinking of moving all my accounts to something a bit more reliable.  Communications people......it's not that hard!!!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Pat5311,

Susan is correct. The migration is scheduled to December 12th. Your desktop may come back online prior to that, but there is no way to know that. Sitebuilder Plus does not stop you from switching back to desktop later. The only reason why that would be the case is if we switched your account to Plus only and you created a new site with a master template. If you are strictly editing then you can use Plus. If you have urgent edits to make then please try it.

If you would like to tell me what sites you want to edit right now, I'll take a look and see what they look like. You are correct that there have been a few people where there were small alignment problems, but it is rare.

Drew
Photo of Keith7184

Keith7184

Drew, a few questions about logistics...

Will I be notified about what to do to have my Sitebuilder desktop back and working?

Will I be notified when the migration is finished?  

If I post a page to Sitebuilder Plus, will it automatically download onto my Sitebuilder Desktop when I can again use the desktop??  Is there anything special I have to do when a message comes up asking me to make a choice about what to do when the two don't match?  (I remember that it seemed to be unclear when I tried it before.)

Proactive explanations and notices would be helpful.  Will that be done?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Keith7184,

We expect desktop to be back online at the end of the window, though some accounts may come on earlier. We are not able to monitor and test desktop on each account to notify you when it comes back online for you, so unfortunately, you will just need to try it occasionally.

The migration is due to be finished December 12th. I will post here, the status blog, and Facebook at that time as to if expectations were met.

If you publish a page from Plus, when you next launch desktop, it shoud download the page automatically if you created a new page. If you edited an existing page, then it should give you a pop up for each edited page or file. It will give you the option to keep local or download published. If you download the published page, then you will get the page you published from Plus downloaded to desktop. If for some reason after desktop loads and you don't see the edits, then lets us know and we will check into it.

Drew
Photo of Patsy Ann

Patsy Ann

• 1,830 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Was able to get into one of my accounts last night...made the changes, went to publish and could not!  Tried 10 times, with no luck! 

Then at 2am tried again and found that Homestead was offline.  All 40 of my web sites were no where to be found on the Internet.  Yes, heart failure was very close.

Going on 20 days here for me, since I have been able to work.  Cannot believe a company old or new would think this acceptable...especially without an advance notice so all of us could have at least caught up with our work before we were "dead in the water".

Drew...please don't tell me to use Plus.  Ain't gonna happen!  lol
Photo of Patsy Ann

Patsy Ann

I feel your pain Pat.  First time in 12 years anything has ever gone wrong while using Homestead...but this has been an eye opening experience, to say the least!
I refuse to use Site Builder Plus.  Have read nothing but negatives.  I am going on 20 LONG days of not being able to get into my sites.  Customers don't understand and don't care.  All they know is they pay for their web site to be updated, etc. as you know all too well!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Patsy Ann,

Just in the spirit of giving you all the information. There were indeed 2 outages in the wee hours caused by a failure in a 3rd party in several cities. They have been resolved. The migration continues.

Drew
Photo of gravelroads333305

gravelroads333305

• 560 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I can't even use the online Sitebuilder as it continues to crash and is unbearably slow. This has been ongoing now for several weeks making it extremely difficult to edit pages and publish changes. No advance notice that there may be issues or anything from Homestead. That, along with price increases, is pushing me to make a change in web hosting. C'mon Homestead!
Photo of Emily5008

Emily5008

• 936 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I am not able to log in to my desktop Homestead Site Builder at all. Repeatedly am getting error messages today, that the log in info is incorrect, which it certainly is not. It is holiday time, and we especially need to be able to use our desktop versions!

I do not like Site Builder Plus, and need the usually reliable desktop version to work!
Photo of serge4617

serge4617

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Drew, I am sorry but neither site builder plus nor desktop options are working period. 6 more days of this ? How can we trust anything anyone is saying...
Photo of Emily5008

Emily5008

• 936 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I just got off the phone with Support, and it was confirmed that there are issues, and no one seems to know exactly when they will be rectified. It might be later today, it might be 5 or 6 days. They are really not able to give us a time frame, and the "incorrect log in" message is one of the messages that may automatically crop up due to the current issue. Frustrating as "all get out"!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The message here has not changed. The maintenance window was to last until the 12th of December. Accounts can come online before that date, but we have no way to predict or influence which ones. I am looking for confirmation that we are on schedule.

If both are not working for you, the we are sincerely sorry, in most cases Plus works. Until the maintenance has completed, whichever one you are able to launch will be slower than normal.

gravelroads333305, what browser are you using? I was able to move around your site this morning pretty easily. It's not as fast as I would like, but I had no crashes. Can you do something specific that makes it crash?

Drew
Photo of Patsy Ann

Patsy Ann

Drew...do you think it is pretty much in stone for December 12th, or do you think they are just giving themselves a good window to finish?  
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The 12th is the end of the original 3 week window. I do not know how the routing outages experienced this morning, that disrupted Internet traffic for a while, may or may not have affected our transfer. I am trying to get a more current update from the engineers. I have seen many data migrations before at several different companies and I have to say there is never a set in stone. Sometimes things are right on, sometimes early, sometimes late.
Photo of Pat5311

Pat5311

Thank you Patsy Ann...I'm not alone in all my frustration and anger I see.  Thankfully, I was not working on a new site for a new client!!  I have no clue what to do or where to go from here.  I guess that's the most frustrating part.  Homestead pretty much has us over a barrel right now...knowing there is nothing we can do until they are back on line.  Then they will count on us settling down and forgetting about it since all is running smoothly.  I am definitely going to be checking into other options for hosting.  Why in the world would they do something like this at this time of year (and NO WARNING!!)....how devastating for our clients who depend on Christmas sales.  Drew....thanks anyway.....I simply will not risk using PLUS after what happened last time....and do not want to have to remove Homestead advertising from every single page I have. Sad situation for us all.....
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Pat5311,

I understand.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.