Sitebuilder Desktop

• Announcement
  • Updated 6 months ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Fix provided, issue resolved.

We apologize for any inconvenience, however, we have become aware that Sitebuilder Desktop’s connection to our servers is not working at this time. This is due to a required security update that occurred on Feb 5th, 2019.

As you are aware, Sitebuilder Desktop was replaced by Sitebuilder Plus several years ago. We do understand how much you enjoy using Desktop Builder, and we are doing what we can to get it operational for you again.

In the interim, you can use Sitebuilder Plus to make your urgent updates. We highly recommend you check out our Latest Builder “Website Builder” and consider rebuilding in this state of the art editor, providing hundreds of updated templates, free SSL and Mobile Responsiveness. We have amazing tutorial videos to help get you started using the new editor. You can view these HERE

As additional updates become available in resolving desktop connection issues we will post responses promptly.

Thank you for your patience while we work through these issues.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,634 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of John5647

John5647

• 420 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is Homestead Sitebuilder offline?.

I have Homestead Sitebuilder. For the past 5 hours, I have been unable to get online to update my site. I am online with other programs (email, twitter, etc.) but not Homestead Sitebuilder. I even tried another computer to no avail.
Photo of Connie7227

Connie7227

• 578 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The multiple responses to this problem seems to have become buried.  Here is a link to the number of customers who have expressed concern:  https://community.homestead.com/homestead/topics/is-homestead-sitebuilder-offline?utm_source=notific...
Photo of William0820

William0820

• 1,506 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Now that thread says
This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.
Photo of William0820

William0820

Guys this is driving me insane!  First off I get it desktop is having issues since the security update thing and many of us can edit but can't publish with it. 

SO I go over to homestead and sign in and use the "PLUS" version, WHICH LACKS FEATURES I USE AND I DO NOT WANT TO USE, but ok I need to do some edits.

Well first off what I see in plus is NOT what I have live on the site itself and not what I had last successfully published with sitebuilder before all this.

So if I monkey around in plus and publish I have to change a TON of stuff to cross reference and bring them both to the same level, if I hit publish site in plus this is gonna really mess up my site since plus is showing pages that are not up to date with what I currently have live showing on my site itself.

Just one site I have 19 pages of content I don't want to have to go thru 19 pages and cross reference the differences between what is already live vs what sitebuilder "Plus" is showing me.

I am afraid to even do a basic edit in plus as what it shows as current is NOT what the live site shows.
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,796 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi William. I do apologize. Sometimes when Plus has not been used, it ceases to sync correctly. I can get the published site copied into the Sitebuilder Plus editor for you so you will have the same data. Can you tell me which site needs to be fixed?
Photo of William0820

William0820

I am honestly nervous about continually messing with this between desktop and plus, there are many many hours of work into what is published right now vs what plus is showing, I generally use desktop without an issue but being over a week now and updates coming in I am trying but it''s just a complete frustrating mess here.

I have only tried in plus on this one site and it's a complete different mess than what is currently published, man I am really afraid to have this "Sync" thing done, also IF they get desktop working again do I need to uninstall and reinstall it for it to see and update to the current state of published site stuff after usiing this "plus" which I hate btw.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I do not yet know what may need to be done with Sitbuilder Desktop.

Plus was meant to replace desktop, so they do not sync with each other. Each one syncs only to the published site. If I copy the published site to the Plus editor, you should be able to see, edit and publish the current site. When you open desktop the next time, it should download those changes. If it does not, then you can simply close desktop and rename the site folder(I can provide the path to the folder), and reopen desktop. At that time it will download the entire published site.

You can always make very small changes in Plus, to get started, in order to make sure it is working correctly. 
Photo of Dave6376

Dave6376

• 1,588 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Drew ~ Would you be able to copy a published site into the Plus Editor for me? When I try to open this particular site it fails to load an edit site option. See attached image. Any help would be much appreciated. The site is peachtreecitylandscape.com
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am getting to work on that for you Dave. One of us will post here when it is done.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Dave, can you take a look now and see if it looks correct?
Photo of Dave6376

Dave6376

Yes. Thank you Drew. Was able to get in and make the updates needed. Appreciate the help!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You're very welcome
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

• 1,036 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Any idea of a fixed date for Sitebuilder Desktop?

Also, are you at liberty to tell us how many Desptop Sitebuilder users there are? Judging by the number of unique posters with complaints for not being able to publish, it seems to be about 50 or so left. Either that, or there are a lot of dormant websites out there. Your support desk is taking the brunt of complaints I suppose. Anyway, just curious how many are left, of which I am one.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I do not have an ETA at this time.
I also do not have exact numbers on how many people still use desktop, but it isn't many. I do know it is over 50 total, but many of them do not make regular edits. As it turns out, not all desktop users are affected by this issue. It might be that some ISPs do not yet adhere to the new security protocol, but we are continuing to look at the issue. 
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

Thank you for following up. I know you guys are trying . . just don't let anyone give up on getting a fix. Now at 7 days and counting, maybe a few more.
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

2-14-2019 12:05pm cst
I have just had a lengthy conversation with Michelle at Homestead in sales.
1. I repeated everything she said and she agreed that I did not misinterpret what she is authorized to tell people who are calling in.
2. She was very patient with me and spoke factually and confidently.
3. She did not mince any words about Desktop Sitebuilder being done and customers should expect nothing else from Homestead regarding this "25 year- old obsolete program" .
4.. I advised her that Homestead has an official news release on the community bulletin board that says Homestead is trying to fix the problem so customers can publish their websites again. She said she knows what is being said by Homestead representatives on the community bulletin board but cannot respond.
5. I asked her one last time if she was sure of her statements and I advised her that I was going to put our conversation on the community bulletin board. She said yes, her responses are "official" and yes, she has no problem with me putting our conversation on the community bulletin board.
6. I did ask if there has been a lot of phone calls regarding the "cannot publish
issue" and Desktop Sitebuilder. She said no. Most people have switched to website builder.
6. Barring slight differences in wording, the following is paraphrased from her almost exact words.

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL POSITION FROM MICHELLE, an official representative  of HOMESTEAD:
1. Homestead is done with Desktop SiteBuilder. They have stopped trying to fix the publish problem because whatever they did cannot be undone.
2. She says it is a problem they thought they had fixed with Microsoft but it did not work. She stated their engineers are no longer working on finding a solution.
3. She stated that desktop sitebuilder websites cannot ever be published again NOR can they be removed by the customer.
4. Whatever was published on February 4th 2019 or before is now frozen in time.
5. To remove a website, the customer has to call Homestead.
6. She stated that the official TEMPORARY fix is for customers to download their websites into Sitebuilder Plus. She stated she understands the problems associated with that but has no other suggestion. Even that fix is temporary. Hey guys, don't miss that last sentence, sitebuilder plus is a temporary fix.
7. Website Builder is the program that all customers MUST BEGIN USING. 

I have tried to restate the facts as I understood the conversation. Michelle at Homestead, if you are reading this, please feel free to correct me if you see something substantively wrong or misinterpreted  or misquoted.

Drew and Elizabeth. You might want to enlighten us. Obviously, there is a disconnect between support and management.
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

As a follow-up, Michelle did say that a credit refund will be issued to Desktop Sitebuilder customers, such as myself, from February 4th forward if requested and if not moving to Website Builder. We did not discuss credits available for the downtime in between while websites are rebuilt. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

While desktop has been discontinued and out of development for several years now, we have not set a date for its end of life. We are committed to doing everything we can to get the desktop program running again for those that wish to continue using it.

That being said, there could be a future time that desktop is permanently ended, but that decision is not made by support and desktop users will be sent an email with details well before that is done. We would also post an announcement here in the community, giving all the pertinent details.

Furthermore, as I have mentioned several times over the years, desktop does require some Microsoft components that were also discontinued long ago. If Microsoft decides to disable them, desktop will cease to function.

Currently, we are working to restore the connection of desktop for those affected(not all users). I will be in another meeting tomorrow morning with the development team to discuss the issue. Because of the product age and new security requirements, coupled with the continued evolution of Windows, we can't promise that it can be fixed, but I can promise we are doing everything we can to resolve this issue.
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

Drew, I hope you are right and she is wrong. Michelle seemed sure of herself and said she was speaking in an official capacity. She was emphatic. Nothing, repeat nothing is being worked on to get the websites updated.  Listen to the recording. She offered zero hope of desktop coming back online. Just the fact that a website can not be taken down by the customer is scary.

Off topic, has the email notices stopped being sent out on topics we follow. This topic is so buried that it is almost impossible to find.

BTW, the same situation exists on my laptop and it is windows 7.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Emery, I am giving the straight scoop. I think there must have been some misunderstanding. She may have been saying that Sitebuilder desktop is not being updated. That is true. It has not been for many years. However, we are searching for ways to get it to work with the new protocols.  As I said in my previous post and several times in the past, there may be a time where it can't be repaired, but we definitely are trying, and to date we have been able to find a way. Hopefully, this will be another such time. I will see in the morning what the dev team wants and get to work on it right away.

If it becomes necessary, I can listen or the support manager can too, but at this time, I prefer to focus on testing and such, to try to resolve the issue.
Photo of Pamela9886

Pamela9886

• 742 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Drew,
Sitebuilder Desktop - info that may help.  
I am using Win7x64 and have not had a problem with SB Desktop. Over past weeks have been updating and publishing sites with no problems.  Did so again without doing any re-installs etc today.

In regard to total discontinuation of SB Desktop I would like you to seriously take into consideration the following and ensure it is passed on to those in control.

I have been with Homestead from almost Day 1 (1998-99). Firstly with the free personal site and then with the paid Business Sites (of which I have 2).
Over those years I have built substantial sized sites with 'well over 1,000' pages - all established before either Sitebuilder Plus or Website Builder. 
Even now with the sites downsized I still have 1177 pages.

I work alone and the immensity of the task or re-building all of these pages in the new Website Builder whilst at the same time maintaining my business is simply too overwhelming to contemplate.
Also as you might imagine - after 20 years and being in my 40's when I began, I am no longer a spring chicken and suffer health issues as one does as they age. 

The websites are vital for my existence - they keep food on the table and pay the rent.

There is no way that I could rebuild all of this in 90 days if given such notice.  It took years to build the first time and with my health issues I have no idea how long it would take now.

Kind Regards
Pam
Photo of William0820

William0820

100% agree with Pam here, same boat, since day one of the free sites years ago, always used desktop, have multiple sites some very large, tried plus hated it, idk about the other one but desktop is the one I use daily, I have no idea how i would go about rebuilding all my sites and pages piece by piece, I am just hoping this never has to be the case but it sure left me scrambling the last week or so here with the uncertainty and Michelle's comments to Emery.

I guess if it comes to an end then I just close up shop, but most of what I do is for .org groups or friends and family, they depend on me for updates to their sites, I sure don't want to be the one to tell them no, but I haven't found a solution to desktop that works for me and allows the things I do regularly in Desktop (mainly cut copy paste between many pages).

I would hope with this phasing out that they would make a new desktop but it sounds like that won't be happening, at least maybe a way to move these things from desktop over to something else?  I have tried plus and can't stand working in it, it's buggy and flaky at best, what's funny is my old Desktop software runs circles around the newer "plus".   As for that other thing I keep reading about website builder or something, I haven't seen anything on that sounds like i need to hit youtube but can you move sites from Desktop over to it?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
William you can't move sites in their entirety to the new Website Builder. You can open your existing site online and then copy/paste the info into the new builder. Images will need to be imported into the program rather than copy/paste. This can all be done while your existing site remains up and running. It's a great way to rebuild sites as you can work on them as time allows.

Hope this helps.
Photo of R.

R.

• 2,446 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
In my case, I have to use Desktop Sitebuilder because Sitebuilder Plus hardly ever opens for me. Plus, I have some 5,000 pages on my website, so rebuilding the site is impossible considering my age and health. Therefore I'm hoping there can be some provision for us old-timers who want to continue with Homestead. Not only do I love Desktop Sitebuilder, but I also love Homestead. In my experience, they've always tried their best to help their members and I'm totally happy with Homestead's service. Thanks to the Homestead team.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We will continue to try. I am glad you are happy and we will do ourbest to get desktop back online ASAP.
Photo of Les6064

Les6064

• 8,738 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Drew:

I have been using Sitebuilder desktop for many years as long as Homestead has been up and running. I have one site that I stream audio for a client, and I use the new Site Builder for other clients. At this time the new site builder does not have the capabilities to stream audio which I find unusual. Could you please advise me what I should do next. Thank you. 
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hello Les,

You can upload audio and place an audio player element on your website through Sitebuilder Plus. You would find this under Insert > Youtube Video > Audio Player. This will allow people to play and pause your audio. Is this what you were wanting?
Photo of Les6064

Les6064

• 8,738 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Elyzabeth:

Thank you, I think that would work.                                   
Photo of Ken0942

Ken0942

• 368 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It occurs to me that if the Homestead management team were really serious about resolving this issue then they would immediately set an early final date for this to be resolved by their engineers. If not resolved by that date then they should hire in an outside consultancy service to do the job that they have failed to do. You have caused the problem, not the service users who use and have paid for your system. If a patient visits a doctor and he cannot resolve things - then he calls in Consultants who can !
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

Read my article at the top of this thread.
Photo of William0820

William0820

Drew, I am sorta stuck, obviously I use and love desktop, and have tried a few times to use plus and due to it's lack of features that I use in desktop I stay away from plus.

Now that I can't get desktop to publish and have a few sites I need to work on for people I sign into plus reluctantly, and i get this message.

Here is the thing, I am frozen, I don't even quite understand this, the last time I published was from desktop but that hasn't worked in a week or so, I see no way to "preview" what they mean by start from save point or last change, and the site in question has MANY MANY pages and things I do not want to mess up.
I keep hoping sitebuilder will just work but if not I am even afraid to mess in plus as i don't even know which button to hit or what it's going to do to my existing site, or worse how to get back to desktop IF it can even be fixed.
This whole thing is just really hurting my brain at the moment, I am so beyond frustrated i don't know what to do, I do sites for charities and businesses that count on me at this point I am about to write one pretty bad letter to all of them and just say I am sunk and can no longer do their sites or something if things can't be fixed soon.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

At this point it sounds like Plus has not been updated for a while. As I mentioned earlier this can happen to some accounts. Select either one and see what you get in the editor. If it is not the published version of the site, just exit out(do not publish). Give me the site name and I will get the published site copied into the Plus editor.
Photo of William0820

William0820

I chose start from last change and it appears to have the things I had most recenty updated before desktop stopped working, I will make my edits hit publish and pray... I just hope for many of ours sakes that they are actually working on trying to fix all this.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Glad to hear it, and I promise we are working on it. I want to be crystal clear on that, but also make sure you understand that it may or may not be fixable. As I said earlier, we have been in this situation several times in the last couple years and have found a way. I am hopeful this is the case again.
Photo of Ken0942

Ken0942

Due to the fiasco you have created on destroying the Desktop builder I followed your instructions to see what it would be like to build a new site from scratch using this new builder thing. Fine until i get to the "select a design" part - then every design I click on says "404 - File or directory not found.The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  I do feel that your company are now becoming the laughing stock of the industry.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,592 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello Ken,

I can see what is causing this issue and am having our developers address it. I will let you know when that is resolved.
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

2-15-19 10:38am cst: Day 10 and counting. Can not publish OR remove the websites. alppost305.org, mcgandhs.com, mctxhc.org, peapatch.com, and 4 more independents. What a mess! Updates from Homestead would be appreciated. Michelle says no fixes are being worked on anymore, Drew says they are trying to fix the problem. As customers, we don't know what to believe. And I am paid up till June 2020.

Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

10-16-19 10:55 am cst.

Correction to my previous post. The date is 2-16-19, not 2-15-19 as I stated.

Michelle in sales said either build the sites anew in website builder or I can request Homestead to remove all my websites, cancel the account and a refund will be issued. I am assuming that is what they are hoping all remaining Desktop Sitebuilder customers will do. One or the other. Actually, it looks like we have no choice.

BTW, website builder has no blank page to start from. It forces you to select one of their pre-designed websites and then start modifying.

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Emery, just select a design and delete everything and you'll have a blank canvas.
I would tend to believe Drew rather than Michelle in regards to what is being done.

Best,
Sue
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

2-19-18 11:42 am cst - You're a longtime professional webmaster and published author. What have you done with your websites? What's your take on all this?

What a mess Homestead has created. I am actually being indirectly threatened with a lawsuit at the moment because I can not take down a pdf file that inadvertently contained HIPPA information on a Boys State 2018 participant. Removing the link, which I did some time ago, did not stop Google bots from crawling the site. Unfortunately, the pdf is still on the Homestead file manager servers because I can not delete the file in dispute. Not being able to modify, delete files or graphics or do anything to update and publish www.alpost305.org is causing some real problems.

And btw, being in the dark most of the time and getting no updates from Homestead doesn't help anything. I am beginning to think the Homestead rep Michelle is right and Drew is wrong or misinformed or just not in the loop. Homestead is doing nothing further on Desktop Sitebuilder. per Michelle at Homestead, all a customer can now do is call customer service and have them take down the website, in my case, websites, and issue a refund.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Emery Heuermann, I am currently preparing a step by step process for you to try to restore the desktop connection. It has worked on 3 of 3 computers we have tried so far.

To say Homestead has created a mess is not fair. This program was discontinued years ago, and is not being updated. We are usually able to get it going again, as I hope we have now. In addition, you have the option of using Sitebuilder Plus. That is the currently supported version of Sitebuilder. If the Plus editor is not showing the current site, we can get that updated for you so you are able to use it.

Again, there is no guarantee that we will always be able to get desktop running again when it breaks. Standy by for my detailed instructions coming soon to this topic. I am hopeful it will resolve your issue, it did for me.
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

2-19-2019 1:13 pm cst - Thank you Drew for the update. I will be moving to website builder asap. I am an old man and this is stressing me out. I hope you guys can get this done.  May I suggest that if you are successful and get Desktop Sitebuilder back on-line that you give everyone a 90 day drop dead date. That way we can't say weren't warned. We either migrate to the new software or we go somewhere else.
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

Once again, thank you for the update.
Photo of William0820

William0820

Thanks Drew, I am more than willing to be a guinea pig if you wanna test a 4th, I have had nothing but grief since all this started not being able to use desktop.  I don't even know what the website builder thing is, if it's plus I or I have to rebuild everything by hand (I have so many sites/pages) I don't want either of those honestly...
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Emery Heuermann, I have been told that if Homestead were to decide on an end of life date, there would be ample notice provided to desktop customers prior to that date. However, Windows is regularly updated and there are security changes made all the time. These changes are mandatory to maintain compliance in some areas. This is something we have no control over.

I do understand the frustration and nervousness in trying to switch things to a completely new tool, and I will not lie to you in that there will be a learning curve, but we are available on the phones and here in community with answers to your "how to" questions.

Lyz also has some of the topics set up on our YouTube channel. It really does make a more modern looking site for your business. And while it may not have all the features you know and love about desktop, the end result should make you happy.
Photo of Velma3945

Velma3945

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled sitebuilder will not connect to the internet. Please assist..
Photo of KAMARIAH7340

KAMARIAH7340

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled im online but I cannot Login into my website . It show Internet Connection Requir....

i logged in into www.homestead.com then i download the website builder. After full installation I try to login .. but it stated Internet Connection Required. Im using Win7 and Win10 64 bit .. Bos OS cant open my website builder
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Official Response
This has worked on all 3 computers we have tried today. I am asking that someone here try it. Please follow these steps exactly. If you have any questions, please post them here prior to continuing.

These instructions assume you are on Windows 7 or later.
  1. Install/repair Microsoft J# 2.0

2. Using Windows controll panel, uninstall Homestead Sitebuilder

3. Use Windows explorer to locate the folder c:\program files(x86) and delete the folder Homestead.

4. Locate the hidden folder c:\programdata. Inside the program data folder, rename the Homestead folder to Homesteadbackup.

5. Log into your Homestead account

6. Go to the Websites manager page

7. Click the Download Sitebuilder link under the edit site button.

8. Scroll to step 3 under the Troubleshooting section and click the indicated link

9. Save the program to your hard drive

10. Open your downloads folder and extract the files from the zip folder.

11. Run the program SiteBuilderSetup.exe

12. Log into desktop and select a site. Since you renamed the folder that contains the site files, desktop will download the published site. Then you can test publishing. I have not yet tried to rename the backup folder so this step is not necessary, so I advise you let Sitebuilder create the folder and download your sites.

13. Try to publish a change and let us know if it worked.
(Edited)
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

2-19-19 11:18 pm cst - A reprieve! Halleluiah! The "fix" worked. I can update and publish again. I guess now I have some very serious decisions to make. If this problem happened this easily and took 14 days to develop a workaround, I must assume it can happen again. Decisions Decisions Decisions. I assume Drew that you are responsible for the fix. Thank You!

Drew, do me a favor. Find your Homestead Rep Michelle in sales and set her straight on what to tell Desktop Sitebuilder Customers.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Emery, I told you to trust Drew!  :)  This would be a good time to start transitioning your sites so you can avoid situations like this. Avoid SB+ and go to Website Builder. The beauty of it is you can leave your existing sites up and running while you build new ones. There is a learning curve, but lots of help available.

Cheers, 
Sue
Photo of Ken0942

Ken0942

Sue, please see my post at the bottom of the page - how do we get to it !
Photo of Dave6376

Dave6376

Nice! Hope this works. I am away from the computer so not able to test it but look forward to the responses on those that do. Drew, this creates a new question for me (sorry) ... I have used Plus to update several sites. Will I be able to double dip? Meaning on the sites that I have NOT used Plus to update, can I use desktop to edit/update AND still update the others on Plus?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,592 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes, you can edit some sites through Plus and some through Desktop. I just wouldn't recommend switching back and forth on any one site, if that makes sense.
Photo of Dave6376

Dave6376

Makes total sense and is the answer I was hoping for. Thank you!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Dave, you should be good. When you rename the homestead folder within the programdata folder, all of your site files will no longer be available to the local computer. When you reinstall desktop and open a site, desktop will download the published site. So the only thing you need to do is make sure you publish all changes from Plus prior to doing these steps.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

It is best not to mix use the two versions of Sitebuilder on a regular basis. If you are good continuing to use Plus on the ones you have, you may continue. Or you can switch back to desktop for those sites as well. Each published site will get downloaded when you open it in desktop.
Photo of Dave6376

Dave6376

Awesome! All frustrations aside, the Plus did what I needed it to do in a pinch. But more importantly, you guys have been great. Drew, you have saved my a$$ countless times over the years and I would rather have you guys around than a program. But if we can have both ... even better. Thanks again!
Photo of William0820

William0820

• 1,432 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Followed the steps Drew, worked for me I am in desktop and able to publish!
Photo of William0820

William0820

Ran into a small snag, not sure what's up, I started with a small site that didn't matter much if it goofed up, that worked fine, I am into intermediate sized sites and I keep getting this message (I have plenty of hard drive storage space easily 1.2 TB btw).
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Which site is that William. Let me see if I can fix it.
Photo of William0820

William0820

moonbeam-massage.com
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I did not receive those messages on either site. If you see it again, click ok, and go into the file manager. If you see the file in there, click on it and click the download button
Photo of Dave6376

Dave6376

Drew. Worked like a charm. I am back in and publishing from desktop.
Photo of Greg0573

Greg0573

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I tried to publish changes to my website but Sitebuilder tells me I am not online....
Photo of Andrew6573

Andrew6573

• 490 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hello, what is the status on a fix for desktop version of site builder? Thanks
Photo of William0820

William0820

Drew's fix mentioned above worked for me (pretty much), just having some issues getting the sites to re-download after the new install, seems to be stalling at points, maybe due to site sizes, as a few smaller sites I was able to load, edit, publish from after following his steps and I had not been able to for about a week now.

Using windows7 64 bit if that helps at all. 
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hello Andrew,

If you will scroll up to Drew's last comment, you will see instructions that have allowed others to access the program.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I have promoted it to an official response as well. You should be able to see it at the top of this topic.
Photo of Ken0942

Ken0942

it works for me.
Photo of Ken0942

Ken0942

OK - So we now have a working desktop site builder.  Having decided that this Desk top builder is not safe enough for long term reliability I think I will have to look at re-building my 3 main sites in your new builder. This is only going to be possible if my desktop sites can remain active and editable whilst I am doing this as of course I need to be able to refer to and compare them whilst I am going through the re-building process. Only when I am happy with the new sites can the Desk top sites be deleted. First question, is this possible.  Second question, after doing the fix you gave us - I am now not able to create a new site in your new builder, I only get the option to add a new site in the Desk top builder. It appears that the suffix you now offer is no longer ending in the word cloud anymore.
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hey Ken,

If you log in to homestead.com and go under Websites Manager, you should be able to click "Add New Website". This new website should automatically be created in the newer builder. Is that the steps you are taking to add a new site? On your account we are still working on making sure you no longer get that error when choosing a design on the new sites, but that should be how you add them.
You can absolutely create your new sites in the background while still editing and using the older sites. That will not cause any trouble
Photo of Ken0942

Ken0942

Thanks for that. I do get the new website choices now. Maybe it was because I did the re-install last night and my computer needed to be shut down over night as this morning my option is there. However, as you say, I am still not able to load a new design but I appreciate you are working on that problem.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.