Sitebuilder Desktop Fix

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

We have some good news to share with our Sitebuilder Desktop customers! We found that the latest version was not compatible with the most recent updates, as a result we've made available a version that currently functions.

Even though the connection has been reestablished, we do highly recommended making a transition into Website Builder. The Desktop Software has not been updated for several years which means at any time this could possibly become an issue again. Any updates going forward will be focused on improving the new Website Builder experience for our customers.

Below are the instructions to obtain and install the working version assuming you are on Windows 7 or later:

1. Install/repair Microsoft J# 2.0

2. Using Windows control panel, uninstall Homestead Sitebuilder

3. Use Windows explorer to locate the folder c:\program files(x86) and delete the folder Homestead.

4. Locate the hidden folder c:\programdata. Inside the program data folder, rename the Homestead folder to Homesteadbackup.

5. Log into your Homestead account

6. Go to the Websites manager page

7. Click the Download Sitebuilder link under the edit site button.

8. Scroll to step 3 under the Troubleshooting section and click the indicated link

9. Save the program to your hard drive

10. Open your downloads folder and extract the files from the zip folder.

11. Run the program SiteBuilderSetup.exe

12. Log into desktop and select a site. Since you renamed the folder that contains the site files, desktop will download the published site. Then you can test publishing. I have not yet tried to rename the backup folder so this step is not necessary, so I advise you let Sitebuilder create the folder and download your sites.

13. Try to publish a change and let us know if it worked.

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 44,662 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of R.

R.

• 2,506 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi Elyzabeth,

You replied as follows to one of my comments on another thread, but it's now closed. Sorry, I'm behind in all correspondence.

Elyzabeth wrote: "If Sitebuilder Desktop stops working permanently, the only way to update those sites would be to use Sitebuilder Plus. If you are unable to do so, then unfortunately, the site wouldn't be able to be updated."

My reply: When everyone was having problems with Sitebuilder Desktop recently, it still worked for me. However around the same time, Sitebuilder Plus stopped opening for me. So now I can't access it. Do you have any idea why that happened or how I can fix it?

Elyzabeth wrote: "We do have a design team that can get your website started in Website Builder. The good thing about that builder is pages can be duplicated if some of your pages have the same format. If you want, I can have someone from that department call you to discuss how many pages they can rebuild for you and the cost."

I'll get back to you on that when I'm sure about going ahead and whether or not I can afford it.

Many thanks, as always.
Photo of James8473

James8473

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I can't publish my site.

I cant publish new updates on my site. I try to add a paypal button or just general publish and a popup keeps coming up saying that I need to connect to internet or something like that. I've been trying to update for about a month now.

Update: I have been trying all day to fix this issue...reading comments on here, uninstalling and reinstalling everything. and not getting anywhere. Im starting to wonder why im paying for this every month.
(Edited)
Photo of Dustin4173

Dustin4173

• 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sitebuilder not publishing. If there an area wide problem or am I just lucky?.

Restarted it. Restarted my computer. Ran as admin. Did force update. Says there is not an internet connection, when I obviously have a solid internet connection with everything else.
Photo of Peter0895

Peter0895

• 1,992 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sitebuilder - New Install on New Computer - Will Not Connect to Internet.

I have a new computer with a fresh downloaded of Sitebuilder Desktop. When launched it brings up the sign in window and once the log-in and password are entered..... it shows the No Connection window and provides options.....  Proxy, Connect, Stay Offline.....  See photo.

I have tried all three to no avail. When I click on Stay Offline.... another window pops up stating either the user name or password are not good.  I suspect that is because the software is not connected and cannot reach out to Homestead to confirm they are good.

What do I do to get past this?

Thanks
Pete
Photo of WHC1666

WHC1666

• 1,622 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Pete
I struggled with exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago and have finally succeeded. I followed to the letter the instructions from Elyzabeth but finally found that by deleting and re installing the J# 2.0 rather than repairing it seems to have made the difference. 

Hope this helps,
Best wishes,
Ian
Photo of Ann9347

Ann9347

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Homestead stays offline.

While I can open Homestead, it stays offline. I've tried turning off the firewall, but this doesn't help. I've tried re-installing Homestead, but this doesn't work. What can I do?
Photo of Peter0895

Peter0895

• 1,992 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This resolved worked perfectly. Thank You!
Photo of Angela8723

Angela8723

• 388 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sitebuilder needs fixed!.

Sitebuilder is not working, it will not connect to the internet. I spent all morning revamping my site, 5hrs of time I can't afford to lose as I work a lot.
I've uninstalled homestead on both computers I have and followed some instructions you posted a while back to fix this problem but it does not fix it, it's still offline and I cannot publish anything. Very frustrating, I pay over 300 dollars a year for this service, it's not good enough.
Photo of Leighton8611

Leighton8611

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled CAN I DOWNLOAD SITEBUILDER ON WINDOWS 10?.
Photo of James8473

James8473

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I can't publish my site.

I've been trying for over a month to publish new content on my site but a popup keeps coming up saying im not connected. Obviously i'm connected because I'm sending you this.
Photo of M9164

M9164

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled it won't publish and won't connect to internet anymore..

it won't publish and won't connect to internet anymore. tried uninstalling and downloading the one in homestead website currently, but i still not connecting to internet. it's the same internet. and not on working on others either. should i just quit and close it down?? can't get anyone on the phone after 20 minutes hold.
Photo of Helen1169

Helen1169

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I speak to someone to fix my problem when I am in Australia and can't even....

How do I speak to someone to fix my problem when I am in Australia and can't even find an email. I can't logon anymore as it keeps saying I'm not connected to the internet. It keeps saying I am offlline. I have followed the instructions and unistalled and reinstalled after finally finding the hidden folder and still the same problem. I don't understand why you have to stuff up a perfectly good system. I'm ready to give up and change website hosting
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 44,662 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This is the only workaround we have to offer to allow you to continue using this program. We have not supported this program, or recommended you use it, in years. If you cannot get the desktop builder working with these instructions, you'll need to start using Sitebuilder Plus for editing. I would also recommend thinking about rebuilding your site in our newer, most updated builder.
Photo of Meanda8694

Meanda8694

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I have uninstalled and re-installed site builder and still can not get the progra....
Photo of Kathy5473

Kathy5473

• 934 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Trying to download Sitebuilder to a brand new laptop.  Having trouble installing the J# Package.  I've done it multiple times over the years, but this time a specific error message.  A Microsoft Tech person just spent an hour trying to do it.  He can't even first get the .NET Framework 2.0 installed (he couldn't even find the .NET Framework 2,0 version anywhere, just later ones.  He finally found a 3.5 that supposedly has the 2.0 also in it....and no luck getting that to install either.  He was in process of transfering me to Microsoft Commercial Dept. b/c he said they know more about the .NET Framework and J#...but then I got disconnected in the process. Amazed that Microsoft was willing to try to help as it's no longer a supported product - the tech says it may be that my brand new laptop is just not compatible enough at all.  Any tips? It it possible that a later version of the .NET Framework would work (like how he was trying the 3.5)?  Or does it have to be 2.0?  Last night I started a work order with Homestead to have a tech retrieve all my Sitebuilder files and put them in the on-line Sitebuilder so I can access and edit them there, but he said may take 4 business days for them to get to my ticket.  Any other tips or ideas welcome!  I will be rebuilding in upgraded builder over the next sev. weeks but needing fast access to Sitebuilder right now in the interim.  
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 43,936 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi there Kathy,

I'm sorry that we aren't able to assist you in troubleshooting the downloadable builder. It is most likely just too incompatible with the new software of your laptop. What I can do it work with our technician to try to speed up your file transfer. We are going to send you an email when it is complete and we are going to get that done as soon as possible.
Photo of Kathy5473

Kathy5473

Thank you!  I assume you are speaking of the trouble ticket I started last night by phone with a Homestead tech?  That will be SO great!  Especially since somehow my home page had gotten messed up and looks so awful!  My Sitebuilder had lots of files....many old pages and ones I occassionally use in addition to the very used pages on my site...an accumulation of 11 yrs of files...yikes...recently I was going to start deleting them, but the Homestead SEO expert I was working with in the past month advised me not to yet so as not to affect my Google ratings until I am ready to rebuild my site in the new Webbuilder which I was am going to start working on several months from now...which will be a huge project. Right now just trying to carry on business in old Sitebuilder.  Appreciate your help SO much!!
Photo of Kathy5473

Kathy5473

p.s. On phone right now with a Microsoft tech in their COMMERCIAL dept (as the other tech today suggested) to see if they have more of a way to get the J# onto my new laptop...but please go forward on your end b/c the tech who was helping me today said (like you) that likely the new technology of my brand new laptop is just not compatible at all.  If they're able to make it work, will let you know right away!
Photo of Kathy5473

Kathy5473

So commercial dept. says they can't help me by phone b/c (as we know) Microsoft no longer supports that product, but they gave me a specific Microsoft forum to go on to see if the techs there can help. I'll keep you posted but again, please move forward with transfering my files, because it doesn't look very hopeful for me being able to install J#.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Ok, we will continue to work on this on our end and the technician will email you with any updates.
Photo of Kathy5473

Kathy5473

Just received an email from Ricky that my desktop files matched what's in Sitebuilder PLUS, so for me to log into Plus on Homestead site...wants me to check if they seem to match to me and if also matches my live site.  I'm holding my breath b/c the reason I had stayed in old Sitebuilder was b/c yrs ago when you all transfered my site into Plus, things scrambled on most of my pages, even paragraphs all broken up all over the page and I used MANY formatting elements that don't exist in Plus. I thought there was an on-line plain Sitebuilder you all were putting the files into...I guess not?  Maybe this is my only choice?  So I'm trying to 'edit site in Plus' and it asks me the following...which do I choose?  I don't want to mess anything up (I've emailed Ricky back...I think he's already left for the weekend):  "After you saved, we detected changes to your website. Do you want to start from the time you saved? Or from the time of the last change?"  The buttons to choose from are "Start from Save Point" or "Start from Last Change".  I don't know if this is related to the parameters of you all putting the files there?  Or if related to many years ago when my site was put into Plus for a couple days and then you all took it back out for me b/c of the scrambling.  I definitely don't want to reset the files to something many years ago...they've been changed totally since then - my whole website design!  Thanks if you can help me!!  :)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hi there, either option should bring up the content that we have in Sitebuilder Plus. This would only change if you had made changes in the builder since we uploaded the site to that builder, which it doesn't sound like you did.
Photo of Kathy5473

Kathy5473

You're correct...I didn't make any changes since it asked me that question as soon as I logged in - and required a choice from me in order to take me on in, and I didn't choose yet. I"ll just choose one then. Thank you Elyzabeth!  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.