Sitebuilder Desktop Fix

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

We have some good news to share with our Sitebuilder Desktop customers! We found that the latest version was not compatible with the most recent updates, as a result we've made available a version that currently functions.

Even though the connection has been reestablished, we do highly recommended making a transition into Website Builder. The Desktop Software has not been updated for several years which means at any time this could possibly become an issue again. Any updates going forward will be focused on improving the new Website Builder experience for our customers.

Below are the instructions to obtain and install the working version assuming you are on Windows 7 or later:

1. Install/repair Microsoft J# 2.0

2. Using Windows control panel, uninstall Homestead Sitebuilder

3. Use Windows explorer to locate the folder c:\program files(x86) and delete the folder Homestead.

4. Locate the hidden folder c:\programdata. Inside the program data folder, rename the Homestead folder to Homesteadbackup.

5. Log into your Homestead account

6. Go to the Websites manager page

7. Click the Download Sitebuilder link under the edit site button.

8. Scroll to step 3 under the Troubleshooting section and click the indicated link

9. Save the program to your hard drive

10. Open your downloads folder and extract the files from the zip folder.

11. Run the program SiteBuilderSetup.exe

12. Log into desktop and select a site. Since you renamed the folder that contains the site files, desktop will download the published site. Then you can test publishing. I have not yet tried to rename the backup folder so this step is not necessary, so I advise you let Sitebuilder create the folder and download your sites.

13. Try to publish a change and let us know if it worked.

Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 45,038 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Alfred3969

Alfred3969

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sitebuilder not connecting to internet. Error message ; "Internet Connection Req....

Sitebuilder says "Not Connected".  But I am connected to the internet.  The error message says I may have software that prevents Sitebuilder from connecting.  How can I fix this - nothing on Sitebuilder works when it is not connected?  I would like to post which version of Sitebuilder I am using but it won't allow me to view the version.
Photo of Judith1449

Judith1449

• 72 Points
Were you able to fix this problem? My program still says it can not connect.
Photo of Ralph9460

Ralph9460

• 60 Points
After uninstalling Microsoft J#2 and reinstalling it I was able to reinstall sitebuilder and update my site.
Photo of Shelley8445

Shelley8445

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am having this problem now... after reinstalling sitebuilder.  How do I fix it?
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

• 44,948 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The only fix available for Sitebuilder Desktop is these instructions. If you cannot get it working with these instructions, I cannot troubleshoot this with you. I would recommend you stop using the Desktop program
Photo of Marvel1945

Marvel1945

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Worked like a charm!  But this experience has finally pushed me to use the cloud version...thanks again for the clear instructions.
Photo of Andrea5978

Andrea5978

• 60 Points
Thank you!  I finally figured out after 2 weeks getting my changes published.  Great instructions! 
Photo of Kevin6133

Kevin6133

• 60 Points
I'm getting an issue right now; just installed to a first-time use SurfacePro with Win10 and I'm being told I'm not connected despite the fact that I'm on a Wi-Fi... please help I like having the desktop access.  
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Hello,

I'm not sure if the Sitebuilder Desktop program will work on that device. It depends on if it is running a full version of Windows or not. However, if it will work, then the instructions in the article above is the fix to get it working.
Photo of echo1632

echo1632

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
it worked on win 10, thanz guys
Photo of Dave5953

Dave5953

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It worked !
Photo of Dale9693

Dale9693

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I used the fix provided above, it worked and I was able to publish. Thanks.
Photo of Pauline2697

Pauline2697

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Homestead site builder wont launch says not connected to internet and internet is....

I have a website with homestead and last night I purchase another domain. Today I have found my current website is now connected to two domain names. I tried to launch site builder but is states cant launch as not connected to the internet. And the internet is connected.
Photo of Kate0856

Kate0856

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I followed all your steps, and it worked.  I was able to publish.  Also, thank you for the ability now to download the site.  Very much appreciated.  Lost a lot of the graphics to one site on the PC, now I can re-create.
Photo of Greg0346

Greg0346

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I cannot publish page "no internet connection" even though my connection is fine ....

I cannot publish page "no internet connection" even though my connection is fine and my browser work. I've disabled AV with no effect..

Photo of echo1632

echo1632

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled site builder connection offline.

Can"t publish page cause site builder connection offline
Photo of echo1632

echo1632

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled site builder connection offline.

Almost 1 month i cant publish, delete or edit  my page cause site builder offline. Its mention no internet connection. Iam using homestead since 2009. Please advise.
Photo of Stephen2207

Stephen2207

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have tried doing this fix, and I am to step 12, and I have gone to try to open sitebuilder and it still tells me that I have no connection.  I have checked my connection again, and I do have a connection.  What do I do now?
Photo of Kate0856

Kate0856

Echo1632, if you scroll to the very top of this topic, the original text gives very complete instructions for fixing the "no internet connection" issue when using the Sitebuilder program.  I followed the instructions to the letter, and it worked.  But you have to be VERY careful to follow the exact instructions (including where you click in step 8) for it to work.  If you leave something out, or don't click on the correct link it will NOT work, as I found out in my first two attempts to follow the instructions.
Photo of echo1632

echo1632

thanz, it worked. Follow step 7 and 8
Photo of Kate0856

Kate0856

Stephen, when I tried the instructions the first time, in step #8 I clicked on the "download" yellow button instead of clicking on the link shown in the screenshot.  It didn't work.  I started over again from step one and clicked on the right link this time and it worked.
Photo of Stephen2207

Stephen2207

I used the right link, but I will try again and see what happens.
Photo of Kate0856

Kate0856

Oh dear.  How frustrating.  Hope it works this time for you.  It took me three tries to get it right, and after the second try I had to walk away for the evening and try again this morning.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen2207

Stephen2207

Yeah, I tried it again and it still says I have no connection.....ugh.....
Photo of Diana1323

Diana1323

• 552 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Well, I followed the above directions.  Updated the J2, uninstalled Homestead, removed the Homestead folder and located the Program Data file and renamed it.  Reinstalled Sitebuilder and when I got the log in box, put in my information and got the exact same error message that I had before doing all of this.. that I am not connected to the internet.  Why is this company still taking people's money for this program if they cannot make it work?  I do not like the online site builder at all and cringe every time I have to use it.  Please resolve this issue if you wish to continue getting my money!!
Photo of Helen1169

Helen1169

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Agree, I can’t get it to work either and being in Australia can’t even phone for he,p and can’t did an email address to contact
Photo of Diana1323

Diana1323

• 552 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I started over and followed the directions to the letter.. still not working!!
... ok, I started over again.. 3rd time is the charm.  I uninstalled everything following the directions above, deleted files etc and restarted my computer before trying to reinsistall.  This seemed to do the trick. 
(Edited)
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

I'm glad it is working for you.
Photo of James4562

James4562

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It worked!  

Thank you,
James
Photo of Helen1169

Helen1169

How do I email someone about this as it won’t work
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

We do not offer email support. If you cannot call, Community is where you would get support. However, there is no support for the old desktop program. If you cannot get it to work with the instructions above, the only thing I can recommend is to use Sitebuilder Plus or Website Builder
Photo of earl6120

earl6120

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled sitebuilder desktop.

still cant get Homestead desktop to publish

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: win 10 desktop fixed worked.
Photo of doug5793

doug5793

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sitebuilder Desktop.

48 hrs later - not 100%, occasionally shuts down when I publish. sometimes it published, sometimes not. looks like it still needs tweaking.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: win 10 desktop fixed worked.
Photo of Xeles

Xeles

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Says not connected when try to publish.

When I try to publish my changes I get the following message: "Internet connection Required
you must connect to the internet at this time.  once you are online, click connect to continue. 
if you're already online, you may have software that prevents sitebuilder from connecting to the internet." 

I'm definitely connected to the internet, and I have no idea what software could be preventing sitebuilder from connecting.

Photo of ReadyRandy

ReadyRandy

• 642 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Homestead!  The solution above has allowed my Sitebuilder Desktop to open "Online."  This has allowed me to make changes to my Homestead sites on my work laptop.

My take on this...

1. Don't be in such a big hurry to update the latest Windows Updates (especially before big website changes)
2. I will seriously consider moving away from the decade old Sitebuilder Desktop application to the new Homestead Website Builder.  I am looking forward to having my site look nice on a desktop computer browser AS WELL AS mobile phone broswers.

Photo of Alfred3969

Alfred3969

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sitebuilder is now working and connects to internet, allowing me to publish.  I tried the instructions above and it failed to work, but after reading the replies of others who tried several times and finally succeeded, I tried again.  Third attempt worked.  Thanks for answering my problem by moving it to this topic and thanks to the others that tried and succeeded, thus encouraging me to try again.  I will be soon checking into using the cloud Website Builder.

Photo of WHC1666

WHC1666

• 1,622 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I have bought a new laptop and have downloaded sitebuilderbut it will not open. I....

I have bought a new laptop and have downloaded sitebuilderbut it will not open. It does not accept my login details and thinks I am not onlinel I use the old desktop sitebuilder ....any help appreciated
Photo of Charles3638

Charles3638

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled cannot open sitebuilder.

USING WINDOWS 10. did a complete uninstall, then download and install new. Still will not open.
Photo of WHC1666

WHC1666

Correct the recommended fix did not work. I have tried 3 times and no success.
I intend to follow this up further with Elizabeth but have been a bit busy.
I have been with homestead for 18 years and am really disappointed in these developments. Rebuilding all my sites is just not an option. If it comes to that I will switch to another company.
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

If you cannot get the Downloadable builder working through this fix, you don't have to rebuild your sites. You will just need to edit your sites through Sitebuilder Plus instead, which is the online version of the same builder.
Photo of WHC1666

WHC1666

Thanks Elyzabeth but I want desktop sitebuilder it works for me and having used it for so long I know it like the back of my hand. I have tried Sitebuilder plus but it is not in my opinion in the same league. I have desktop on three other computers so I am not stuck but want to be able to load it onto new faster equipment as well.
I am just trying again to get it sorted out.
I appreciate it is old software and understand the shortfalls regarding mobiles etc but I have a work around that suits me (see www.LangleyParkDurham.com) I don't need online shops so it's desktop for me. If that isn't possible at any time I would shop around - I'm not an enthusiast of the new sitebuilder.
Regards,
Ian
Photo of WHC1666

WHC1666

Hi Elyzabeth,
I have continued to try and download the software for desktop but keep getting the message not connected to the internet. I am connected
The program has downloaded and i get to the point of entering my login data then click to enter but the same message comes up every time.

Any suggestions please
Ian
Photo of Elyzabeth

Elyzabeth , Official Rep

Are you following the instructions in the article above or just the normal uninstall and reinstall?
Photo of WHC1666

WHC1666

Following the instructions to the letter
Have tried 5 times now with same result
Photo of Dustin4173

Dustin4173

• 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
OMG - why do companies have to always change things. Change change change - screws things up consistently, and yet they all do it, consistently. This list looks like a lot of fun. I think Homestead, or whatever the hell they are calling themselves these days, needs to send someone out to our house or office and fix this themselves! 
Photo of Helen1169

Helen1169

Same problem. I have followed the instructions and it won’t work. I hat Sitebuilde Lite an just want o us the old desktop version
Photo of Robert3881

Robert3881

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I followed the instructions and it worked, now I just updated one of my pages, whereas before I'd get an error message that Homestead couldn't connect to the internet.

This switch from a desktop builder to an online builder is a problem if you can't easily export your pages/sites to the online builder.

Do I have to build a new website for every webpage I have?  I probably have a couple hundred pages and a few dozen sites to do, which is a huge hassle and a big amount of time.

Is there a simple and fast way to export all my existing sites and pages to the online builder?
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 14,218 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello,

You do not need to rebuild every page on the online builder. There is a simpler way to upload your pages if you are referring to moving your information from SiteBuilder Desktop to SiteBuilder Plus; the online version. To do so go into the file manager from your desktop editor and select the page/pages you want to upload. You can also select multiple pages from here by holding down the Shift key and clicking the files or pages. Select the upload button and this will move the pages and site content from SiteBuilder desktop to SiteBuilder plus online. 
Photo of Robert3881

Robert3881

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Ok, but when I login to Homestead online, and go to Websites Manager, some of my sites end in .homestead.com and others end in homesteadcloud.com

the ones that end in homesteadcloud.com I can't edit, it says only 'choose design'

the ones ending in homestead.com seem to all say 'edit', and I can edit the pages online.

what is the difference between these two kinds of sites and how can I edit the homesteadcloud.com sites through the online editor?
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

The sites that end in .homestead.com are using our online version of SiteBuilder plus and websites that end in .homesteadcloud.com are using our most recent version which is WebsiteBuilder. 
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

If you see a site that was uploaded from your desktop builder to Sitebuilder plus online and it says .homesteadcloud and choose design just provide the site name and I will get it adjusted.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.