Sitebuilder: can't get past "Start Up" page. It says: Error logging in. Please check your user name and password or contact custom support.

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Why can't I access Sitebuilder desktop?

My desktop sitebuilder stopped working about 3:00 cst on Thursday 11/20/14. It froze up so I logged out and tried to log back in. Now I can't get past "Start Up" page. It says: Error logging in. Please check your user name and password. If you have any questions, please contact custom support. Please help, I have a ton of work to do and can't even login to continue my work. Thank you, Tim
Photo of Tim5862

Tim5862

• 1,774 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We are investigating this issue.
Photo of Kathleen6820

Kathleen6820

• 64 Points
Keep investigating, please, because I'm having the SAME issue.
Photo of Craig8159

Craig8159

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have been having this issue since early this morning...more than 6 hours ago.
Would someone from Homestead kindly give an update.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

We are still looking into this. If you need to edit your site, then you can log into Homestead.com and click on Websites manager. There will be a blue button with an arrow on the right side. If you click the arrow then Edit with Sitebuilder Plus, most people are able to edit that way. Some very large accounts or sites may not be able to load with Plus.

Drew
Photo of Tim5862

Tim5862

Unfortunately, I have a large account and editing with Plus won't work for me.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I saw that earlier Tim5862, It is why I didn't suggest it to you previously. The engineers are still working on it. I will let you know when I have more information.

Drew
Photo of jackie9223

jackie9223

• 522 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Am having the same issue.  Can't login with Sitebuilder.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

jackie9223,

I was able to load one of your sites in Plus. If you need to edit your site, then you can log into Homestead.com and click on Websites manager. There will be a blue button with an arrow on the right side. If you click the arrow then Edit with Sitebuilder Plus, most people are able to edit that way. Some very large accounts or sites may not be able to load with Plus.

Drew
Photo of jackie9223

jackie9223

Thanks Drew.  However, I'm not always working with an internet connection (hard to imagine, right?).  In any case, I do rely on the desktop version of Sitebuilder extensively.  Hope I will be able to login again soonest.
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

• 1,026 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
me also
Photo of Tim5862

Tim5862

Thank you for the excellent communication Drew, please keep us posted. I really need to get back to work as soon as possible. It's almost been 14 hours now and I sure hope they can get things back on track shortly. Kind Regards, Tim
Photo of Jeremy4168

Jeremy4168

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am also having this same issue. Please provide an update as soon as it is resolved. I rely heavily on using the desktop version of Sitebuilder as the SiteBuilder Plus just doesn't work nearly as well for me. Thank you.
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

Sitebuilder Plus has been "starting up" for the last hour.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Is you site very large?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry I don't have an update for you folks. We are still working.
Photo of ReadyRandy

ReadyRandy

• 642 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The System Status page says:

"Account Administration: Planned Maintenance

11/20/2014 9:46:58 AM

We are currently in the process of upgrading our data center. The process will take 2-3 weeks and may potentially cause slowness when logging into your site and working within SiteBuilder. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding."
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi all,

I had a thought. Log in to your Homestead account. Go to websites manager and click on the blue arrow and select Edit with Sitebuilder. This should bypass the need for a password. I am not where I can test this, but it might let you into desktop. You will need to log in to homestead.com using Internet Explorer 8,9, or 10.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Jeremy4168

Jeremy4168

Hi Drew,

Thanks for thinking about some work arounds, when I attempt this it simply just prompts me to Download SiteBuilder for Free even though I already have it installed on my computer.

I don't want to download SiteBuilder if it is going to give me a completely different version than I already have installed on my computer.

I have attempted adjusting my site using the SiteBuilder Plus online version, but it constantly keeps messing up my site, by adding in the Homestead footer automatically and making odd adjustments to the text on my site so I really don't want to continue going about using it as it takes an extremely long time as well to publish pages.

Would you advise me just downloading SiteBuilder from IE and then that should be a temporary work around without messing up my current install and giving me a completely different version?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Are you using IE 11?
Photo of Jeremy4168

Jeremy4168

Yes I just checked and I am. I'll attempt to downgrade and give it another try.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

if you are unable, then you can go to tools and developers tools. You can tell IE 11 to emulate IE 10. There are 2 settings in there to change. I can't see exactly what they are right now, but if you need help let me know and I will post as soon as I can.
Photo of jackie9223

jackie9223

If you get a chance, I'd like t know which settings to change.  Thanks.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Change these 2 settings and then you should see Edit with Sitebuilder, instead of Download Sitebuilder for free.
Photo of jackie9223

jackie9223

Thanks so much, again, for the help, the option DID appear and for a brief moment I thought it was going to work.  But the login did not complete and I got the same message as before.  Bummer.  Thanks again though.
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Try it this way. Launch Internet Explorer, then log in to the Homestead account. Click on websites manager. Then hit f12 and change the 2 settings. The page will refresh. Then hit the arrow and see if you get the option. That is the order I use on my system.

Drew
Photo of jackie9223

jackie9223

I just tried this again.  IT WORKS!!!  Thank you SOOOOO much!! 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Fantastic!
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

• 854 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I'm unable to log in to my Sitebuilder tonight. HELP. The username and password....

Unable to log in to Sitebuilder.  My username and password ARE correct.  Help.  I do daily updates and this is frustrating.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Please try this.

the blue arrow and select Edit with Sitebuilder. This should bypass the
need for a password. I am not where I can test this, but it might let
you into desktop. You will need to log in to homestead.com using
Internet Explorer 8,9, or 10.

Drew
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

I did that as a work-around, BUT I am not comfortable working on my site this way.  I hope this issue can be resolved quickly so I can go back to using Sitebuilder on my PC.
Photo of Bob1777

Bob1777

May be related - I tried to go to live chat and got message "Chat key cookie does not match visitor chat key"
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

same here.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Anita3148,

Did you use Sitebuilder Plus, or were you able to access desktop from within the Homestead account?

Drew
Photo of Pamela9886

Pamela9886

• 742 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Another plea for Help Please!
Same problems - can't log in to either of my accounts on Desktop Sitebuilder.  My sites are pretty large so Sitebuilder Plus is not an option.
I did log in to Homestead and looked at my options to Edit but I don't have an option to edit with Sitebuilder Desktop - it only gives me an option to download Sitebuilder.
Pretty urgent as I have some important updates/alterations I need to do asap.
Many Thanks in anticipation of solution....please.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Pamela9886,

If you see only, download, then you are not using Internet Explorer 8,9 or 10. If you have Internet Explorer 11, see my image above. You need to use the developer's tools(f12)

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

I was able to access desktop from within the homestead account.  It has no problem with my login and password there.  I just attempted to get to my sitebuilder (downloaded version on my pc) again and still have the same problem.  Really hope this is fixed SOON.
Photo of Anita3148

Anita3148

Also, I use Firefox.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I hope so too Anita3148! I am glad you are able to get to it through the account for now.

Drew
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Official Response
Hi all,

jackie9223, just was able to launch Sitebuilder from her homestead account. Is everyone else able to do this? Remember, you must use Internet Explorer 8,9, or 10. Internet Explorer 11 worked for jackie9223, but you have to follow some specific steps.

Launch Internet Explorer, then log in to the Homestead account. Click on
websites manager. Then hit f12 and change the 2 settings pictured below. The page will
refresh. Then hit the arrow and see if you get the option.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of jmaitlandjones4485

jmaitlandjones4485

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Drew,

By using IE I can get to the stage of having the "Edit with Sitebuilder" link, when I press it, it does go to the sitebuilder, but then goes to cannot connect to server, then onto the U/N and password form which is back to square one!
Photo of jackie9223

jackie9223

When I first tried it, I got the same error, but the second time, following Drew's instructions exactly, it did work.  I logged in to Homestead first and changed the IE 11 settings once I was on the "Websites Manager" page.  When it logs in to Sitebuilder Desktop, it says there's an error logging in, but "magically" it logs you in anyhow.  I was able to make changes, switch sites and publish through Sitebuilder.  I noticed that occasionally the error screen will pop up again that says there was an error logging in, but it's still working.  Good luck.

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

jmaitlandjones4485, let us know if it works with those exact instructions.

jmaitlandjones4485

Hi, No, not working, as i said, I am managing to get to the sitebuilder using the blue button, but won't connect - when I click close on the login error message (See pic) it reverts to the login message, which will then give the "Error logging in" message!!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

jmaitlandjones4485,

Sorry. I'll keep looking into this. Are you able to use Sitebuilder Plus?

Drew

jmaitlandjones4485

No, I have 100's of pages across my sites, and sitebuilder plus changes the html boxes plus other things - and makes a real mess, would take me until Christmas to change everything to make right in plus - and hopefully sitebuilder will be working correctly soon??
Photo of tommy4453

tommy4453

• 70 Points
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER THIS ISSUE IS GOING TO TAKE 
I 'M NOT RUNNING EXPLORER 8 9 10 OR FUTURE 11 12  Write a reply   
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

tommy4453,

At this time I don't know. Are you able to use Internet Explorer for just this purpose? If not, please try using Sitebuilder Plus online.
Photo of David8505

David8505

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am having the same issue
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

David8505,

Are you using Internet Explorer 11? Did you follow the steps I gave to jackie9223 exactly? You can see it in the official response above.

Drew
Photo of David8505

David8505

I am running Explorer 11 so it would not allow me to change the setting....would go back to the default.
Photo of David8505

David8505

Tried it and got this:

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

David8505,

Right now, the best I have is the official response above. I have IE 11 as well and those precise steps work for me. If they don't work for you when done exactly like that, I don't have a solution for you right now. We are still looking at it. Are you able to use the online builder for now?

Drew
Photo of Tim5862

Tim5862

Not working for me. I have IE9 & using Vista. I'm very disappointed in homestead. I've been with this company since 1999 and this is the worst lapse in service I've ever had. I've tried everything and still can't login to any of my 90 sites and my customers are griping. Will someone at homestead please get this fixed?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry Tim5862,

It is probably the number of sites on the account. We are seeing this issue as well with other very large accounts. The engineers are working on it.

Drew
Photo of Tim5862

Tim5862

We're all trying to be patient but good heavens, how long is this going to continue? I'm swamped with work and can't even login to get back to work. Wasted time is wasted money.
Photo of Tim5862

Tim5862

Thank you Drew, I sincerely appreciate your excellent communication.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I know you are Tim5862, and I appreciate it, as well as the fact that you need to get work done. I am trying to get an update and will post it as soon as I have something more.

Drew
Photo of Mack4818

Mack4818

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm in the same boat. My to-do list is piling up from clients who are patiently waiting (for now) for me to be able to update their sites. I've tried IE 9, 10, & 11 using the instructions, and none will open Sitebuilder for me. 
Photo of Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I can't tell you how disappointed I am in the service I'm getting on this issue from Sitebuilder.  I have "chatted" four times in the past two days, and received advice ranging from try again in an hour to completely re-install sitebuilder.  I finally went to sitebuilder plus online, and was able to complete the page I have been working on for the last two days.  This is important to me because I'm an academic and create academic websites.  Imagine my dismay when at the bottom of the page once posted there were advertisements for Homestead.  I haven't had that happened since Homestead was free and not a part of the Intuit conglomerate. And furthermore, the links tool looks far worse created this way.  I have been a customer for over a decade, and I've never felt I was getting a bad deal for my money until this situation arose.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Sorry Michael Swanson for the frustration,

You can remove the footer Sitebuilder Plus places on the page.

Drew
Photo of Pamela9886

Pamela9886

• 742 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have tried launching Desktop Sitebuilder by using Internet Explorer - doing the emulation to IE 10.  It starts the launch of Sitebuilder but then after some time comes back saying it cannot connect to the Server.  I have now tried this numerous times and I get the same result each time. 
Photo of Dave6376

Dave6376

• 1,608 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Same here. Did the whole emulation process and get the cannot connect to server. Sitebuilder Plus is not an option for me and here comes the weekend and a holiday next week. Sending good vibes to the engineering team that they crack the problem.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Pamela9886,

If you are still unable to load desktop, I was able to load one of your larger sites in Sitebuilder Plus. Can you try that if you need to edit?

Drew
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Dave6376,

Which site are you trying to edit? I was able to pull up on of your sites in Sitebuilder Plus.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Same issue only I am able to log in to Desktop for one account but not all of them. Who let the dogs out??
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

susan2829,

Have you tried Plus? Many of the accounts I am able to launch Plus successfully and make edits. The account you posted this from doesn't have Plus, but we could activate it, if you want to try.

Drew
Photo of Gene7885

Gene7885

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same Problem. Tried your work around. "cannot connect to server" it may work on some computers, but I would be much more interested in an expected repair time so I can get back to using my $600.00 a year product.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Gene7885,

I was able to bring up your largest site in Sitebuilder Plus. If you need to edit immediately, please try Plus
Photo of Jan0049

Jan0049

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
When I do finally manage to log in to Sitebuilder (experienced same problems as everyone else), I am unable to publish any pages, because it claims I am not connected to the Internet (which I am).
Photo of Jim2430

Jim2430

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

I"m having all the same problems.  Looks like a serious bug in your software needs to be fixed.

Jim Curtis

Photo of Jerry6227

Jerry6227

• 70 Points
I have not been able to use the email service at all since Friday at around 4 pm eastern time.  I get this message- "Login failed. Please check your user name and password and try again."  
Photo of Jerry6227

Jerry6227

• 70 Points
And this message, too -- "LGI-0006 Categories=USER_INPUT Message='Invalid credentials.' exceptionID=169741789-16536908"
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Jerry6227,

You should be able to launch your site in Sitebuilder Plus for now and get your edits done.

As for the email, it appears as though your mail was compromised. It was used to send over 10,000 messages in less than an hour last night. We ask that you run a full system security scan with up to date software on all computers used to check email. Once clear you can change your password.

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.