Site Review

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

I would like some constructive feedback on our website. Many hours have been devoted to this project and it seems the views have leveled off and the sales are not reflecting the efforts either. We recently subscribed to LocalLift Emerging package and I have not seen the effects of the decision yet either. Do we have the wrong focus? Are we not reaching our audience? What can we do to move up to the next wrung of the marketing ladder?
Photo of shipping5252

shipping5252

• 1,086 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • puzzled, dissapointed

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Site address?
Photo of shipping5252

shipping5252

• 1,086 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
www.springprairiemeats.com     Sorry! I take it for granted that it does not go with my post automatically
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

You've done a lovely job with the site. It's eye-catching, easily navigated and it's obvious you've put a great deal of time into it.

Suggestions:

• The pages are pretty heavy, running over 1meg. Consider optimizing your images to reduce the weight. Simply resizing them, i.e., reducing height and width doesn't reduce the weight of the image.
  • Your scrolling header is very attractive, but it's also heavy and distracting. You might want to make it a static image. You want the viewer's eye to move down, rather than being pulled back up by the movement of the header. Ditto the side scroller.
  • Search Engines rely on content to determine how they index a site. Ideally your content should run at least 250 words and contain the keywords and phrases you believe people will search for. Your important content needs to be 'above the fold', the area a viewer sees without having to scroll. By placing informative content in that area you encourage the viewer to keep going. You are also feeding the Search Engines valuable info to help index your site. In looking at the Home page I see pretty pictures, but the content doesn't compel me to keep looking because it doesn't really provide any information about the products you offer. Fresh, frozen, smoked, Gluten Free, All Natural, etc. Also, the focus of the content is We rather than You - it should be more customer oriented.
  • The links on your Partners page should open in a new window. Rule of thumb is that links within a site open in same window, links to something off site open in a new window. That way if someone clicks on the link and then closes it, they are still on your site.
  • Having your Contact information on the About page is somewhat confusing. It really should be on a page of it's own. I think you are trying to stay within a five page limit?. You could do away with the Customer Center as it is really not adding any value and make it the Contact page and beef up the info on the About page. Again, this is an opportunity to employ your keywords and phrases.
  • You mention nothing about how product is shipped that I could find and that's pretty important to the potential customer.  Also, many people abandon a cart due to sticker shock when they find out the cost of shipping after placing items in the shopping cart. Is it better to include the shipping in the price, or state the shipping cost with the product cost or to do as you have done? I think the jury is still out on this, but it might be worth experimenting with.
Take one of your primary keywords and do a search for it. Compare the top indexed sites with yours and see if there ways you could improve your indexing. Attaining good placement in searches isn't simple and you are in a competitive field which makes it even harder. Hopefully some of the above will help.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled please review my website let me know if its ???????.

www.permitexpeditornyc.com  JY Expediters Group. 
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

The site looks professional. You've made good use of the template.

My concerns are:

1. I was unable to find descriptions for the pages in your source code. Descriptions are important as they show up in the searches and are the 'trigger' to get people to click on your site. Each page should have a unique description related to the page content.

2. Your navigation or menu at the bottom is barely readable before being clicked on and totally unreadable once the link is clicked. Suggest you either pull the white block down or change the link colors. I clicked on several and some seemed to be a repeat of the Home page rather than info on the link title - I would either delete those or put correct info on them. I also think that you would be better off if those were listed along the side rather than the bottom. People will probably overlook them in that bottom location.

3. Lastly I would remove the 'canned' footer and create your own using plain text. The one on there is a link for Homestead.

Hope this helps!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.