site error 404 page not working properly

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution or has become inactive.  If you believe this topic should not have been archived, please let us know, and we would be happy to review it.  You may continue to access this topic as needed fo

Site error 404 page is not coming up when an incorrect address is given after the slash, a homestead page comes up instead.
Photo of Joe3993

Joe3993

• 420 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Attila2920

Attila2920

• 1,244 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It has been like that for quite a long time now  Should not all the problems end by midnight?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We are aware of the site error issue and it will be addressed after the migration has completed.

Drew
Photo of Attila2920

Attila2920

still not working properly :( any ideas on when it will be fixed?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Not yet, but they are still working constantly. I was receiving some notifications late last night, so they are still working around the clock.
Photo of Attila2920

Attila2920

Any progress in the case of 404 not working? When it will be fixed?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

There is no time at this point. It is not going to be the highest priority because ideally, that page should never be seen. There are things that are more important to resolve first.
Photo of Victoria6733

Victoria6733

• 3,412 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Drew that poses a big issue particularly when a page is moved or deleted , being routed to the generic "homestead" page the visitor is completely lost :(
Photo of Victoria6733

Victoria6733

Drew I posted NEW, Occurred to me this morning.. the feature not working poses a huge issue and really limits ability to bring on new clients that had had previous sites changing over to Homestead .
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I hope I gave you a useable answer in the new topic
Photo of Claude4953

Claude4953

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am seeing that nothing will be done on this issue? why did we waste time making custom site error 404 pages, like me? http://www.greenfieldlawpl.com/siteer... which keep the visitor in my domain. the page not found homestead page does not. this is just less utility with the higher price
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Claude4953,

This is not correct. It will be fixed, but there are other things ahead of it.
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

• 3,144 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Drew-

just happened to notice this issue whilst wasting 9(NINE) hours with this publishing disaster. (wish you would be the one handling it). but at any rate, is this anything to worry about? just leave it alone and it will resolve itself eventually? let sleeping dogs lie?

Bill
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi Bill,

There are some disadvantages to the current way the error is being handled, but ideally, no one should ever see your site error page, so for most people, this is not an issue. It will be sorted out when the engineers can get to it.
Photo of Schnauzer Lover

Schnauzer Lover

• 208 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Site Error Code Returns Homestead.

When testing an non-existing url on my site, the Site Error 404 returns a homestead page with links to homestead instead of my website's actual error page. Why? Ex. if you click this non existing page: http://www.newhomeready.com/siteerror... it does not return the actual 404 page which should be: http://www.newhomeready.com/siteerror...
Photo of Gaby den Held

Gaby den Held

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Errorpage doesn't work!.

Dear people of Homestead,

I have created a special error page (site error 404)http://gabydenheld.homestead.com/siteerror404.html

But when I purposely misspell my Homepage I don't see this page I so carefully designed! But instead I see the usual Homestead errorpage. Could someone explain to me why the errorpage 404 doesn't work for my site? Thanks in advance!

Gaby den held

http://gabydenheld.homestead.com/

Photo of Victoria6733

Victoria6733

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled site error page issue for exisiting & new builds.

I know there are previous posts but show ANSWERED,  but i wanted to re post as I am starting a new build for a client ..  its a HUGE issue that the page displays a generic homestead default site error, not only for existing homestead sites, but consider the new clients coming aboard.. I'm looking to build a new site for a client coming from a different host company they have had their site up for several years & their pages are indexed.....  With out it working properly the index pages will go directly to homestead default page :(   ANY WORK AROUND AVAILABLE ??
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Site error 404 page is not coming up when an incorrect address is given after the....

This issue has not been resolved!  I saw an identical post from 3 weeks ago that claims to be resolved/answered.  I am having this issue right now, with ALL my 20+ sites.  PLEASE HELP!!  I have made CUSTOMIZED ERROR 404 PAGES for all these sites, and not one of them is working...
Photo of Cliff7329

Cliff7329

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled site error 404 customized page malfunction.

My
site error 404 customized page does not come up for anyone when an incorrect
address is given (which is what the 404 page is for).  Your Homestead Page comes
up instead and does not direct back to my website.

I
went on Homestead CHAT yesterday and was told my site error page was fine.  I insisted it
wasn't and was told to delete my cache and try again.  My family and I did so on
3 different computers and all 3 still came up with the incorrect page (the
Homestead Page).  The representative wasn't helpful at all and I soon realized
they didn't know what a site error page was and kept telling me I didn't see the
page because I was typing in the incorrect url.  Needless to say, that was what
a site error page is for.  When I said so, I was told the issue would be turned
over to the Tech Dept. and it would be resolved in 24 hours.  It has not been
resolved.  The same problem still remains.

This
looks so unprofessional to my clients.  I created a custom 404 page to maintain
a standard for my website.  Looks like it is useless.

Will
you be resolving this issue or am I paying for a page I can't use?  I am paying
for 15 pages and only using 11.  This shouldn't be happening.

Please
help!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

UPDATE: The engineers have corrected the problem that causes the error page not to work. It will be pushed out in our next maintenance update. I don't have an exact date, but it should be within a week or two.

Drew
Photo of Victoria6733

Victoria6733

YEAH YEAH YEAH ................. Doing a happy dance
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Ok, now you said it...

Photo of Joe Budelis

Joe Budelis

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I still see this problem. Any idea yet when the next maintenance update will be pushed out?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

No. I am sorry, but I don't have an exact date. If I get one, it will be posted here.
Photo of Cliff7329

Cliff7329

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Site Error 404 Page still not working - any updates.

Personal Site Error Page still goes to Homestead.   I have been hopeful for several months, but still not working.  Any update on the progress of getting this resolved?  Thanks
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Hi all,

The maintenance update will be pushed this week. If everything goes smoothly this should fix the issue with the custom site error page. Normally the updates are done on Tuesday or Wednesday, but I don't have the exact day/time for this one. Please wait until anytime on Friday to report continued failure of this page. I can then check with engineering.

Thank you for your patience in this matter and we do apologize for the inconvenience.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Official Response
The update was pushed last night and your custom pages should be working again now.

Thank you for your patience.

Drew
Photo of Bill5099

Bill5099

• 3,144 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
if ur talking about the error page that visitors are supposed to see when they go to a non-existent page, no it is not working-they are still directed to Homestead.
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Bill,

Your Site Error 404 is pulling up for me. Try and clear you cache and cookies.

http://www.thecrickethillcompany.com/siteerror404.html
Photo of Gaby den Held

Gaby den Held

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes, it works. My 'skeleton' error page is back! Thanks for the work. Greetings, Gaby

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.