Site Editor Help

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I have multiple site, one of which is very old.  The oldest site doesnt have the same Site editor as the newer ones.  I dont know how to get the newer editor on the old site.

I'd like to add the newer features to my old site.
Photo of Monica9535

Monica9535

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • confused and frustrated

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 258,974 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately, the old sites can't be used in the new Websitebuilder. You need to create a new site and build it, then you can move the domain from the old site to the new. I am sorry, but that is the only way to accomplish this goal.
Photo of Monica9535

Monica9535

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
That is incredibly disappointing, I'm finding more and more after 11 years with my website that I'm losing value in this service.  I do not have time to be rebuilding a site from scratch.
Photo of Drew N

I am sorry, but the difference in the new Websitebuilder is so huge, that it just can't be converted.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,244 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Monica, I do feel your pain but sadly (technology) and the internet is a fast moving medium and search engines are looking for slicker, faster websites that can be accessed by the myriad of mobile devices customers are using these days.
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

• 360 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You mean I have to give up on my 20 years old site if I move to Win.10 ??????
Photo of Drew N

Susan is correct in her comment below.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 42,880 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The rebuild only applies if you choose to move to the new Websitebuilder, not Win 10.
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

Thanks for your reply. not sure I understood. I still work with Win.XP with the Desktop Editor which doesn't work under Win10. What options have I when it stops working?
Photo of Drew N

Desktop almost always works on Windows 10. In the few cases that it hasn't you would then need to use Sitebuilder Plus online, but that will work with the existing site. Our new Homestead Websitebuilder is a different online program
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Hanna the desktop version still works with windows 10 but there are hiccups. There is a big yellow box at the top of the forum that explains how. I too have a website built with desktop back in 1998 although its a dedication website rather than commerce so I wont be rebuilding it on Websitebuilder. You have spend 20 years establishing your presence and if the website is working for you then don't fix what isn't broken. You might get a free mobile website with Duda via Homestead although it will need a little tweaking but the migration is quick and easy. Give it some thought.
(Edited)
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

Thanks Brian - I have no intention to change, I like very much what I do now, but I've tried several times to download it  on Win10 and it did not work. Still not sure what's wrong.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Really sorry to hear that Hanna, as in all things there are exceptions and as Drew mentioned it "almost" always works. Are you getting any error messages when you try to download it to win10?

PS is your win10 machine "new" or did you upgrade?

and, as a footnote, Before you keep trying to install..... make a backup of your website from your Homestead account and download it to your PC "just in case"
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Hanna, did you run the repair/installation for Microsoft J# as suggested in the post Brian mentioned?
Photo of Drew N

Did you upgrade to Win 10, or is it a new computer?
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

Hello Drew.  Hello Brian
I have an old one with XP still working fine but the computer is about 8 or 9 years old and I have a new one With Win 10.
I understood that if I change to online editor I would not be able to go on with the Desktop editor so I stopped trying on Win 10 instead I pray to keep the old one. (it helps!)
I worry to leave and start the new on 10 
Thanks for your kind help
Hanna
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Hanna, I totally understand your trepidation about re-building the site on the online editor. Scary! But Microsoft has stopped supporting XP making it more vulnerable to security risks and viruses.

If you were to switch to the newest version, Websitebuilder, you would be able to build at your leisure. Your desktop version would remain up and running just as it is now until such time as you finish building on the new platform and make the switch. This gives you the ability to try it out, see if it will work for your particular needs and you don't have to worry about getting it done in a hurry. Also, the new builder is responsive meaning that it will adjust to whatever device the viewer is using.
Google is putting more and more importance on responsive sites and giving them priority in search results.

Just something to consider! 

Best of luck to you.
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

Hello Susan
Is it possible to use Websitebuilder in win 10 and to go on with the Desktop editor at the same time?
Photo of Drew N

Hanna, try steps 3 and 4 in this topic. Windows 10 will not have this required featured enabled.https://community.homestead.com/homes...
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

Thanks Drew for all the help! I appreciate it very much !
I will give it a try 
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Hanna Just run that one past Drew again. Are you asking to use Desktop to edit your existing website and then also use the online Websitebuilder to start creating your replacement?.
Photo of Drew N

Hanna, there are 3 builders. Sitebuilder desktop, Sitebuilder Plus(online), and Websitebuilder(online). Websitebuilder is not compatible with the others. Sitebuilder Plus will work on the same site that Sitebuilder Desktop works on. The system will look at the site and only give you the option launch a builder that works for that site. So, on your desktop site, if you log in to your Homestead account and go to Websites Manager, then select the site from the drop down menu. You will see a blue button that says edit site. There will be an arrow on the right. You can click the arrow and select Edit with Sitebuilder (desktop) or Edit with Sitebuilder Plus. The only time Websitebuilder will enter the picture is if you create an entirely new site. You will still use Sitebuilder on the old sites, but Websitebuilder if you make new sites. We should be able to get the dekstop program working though.
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

Thanks Drew now I got it! I did not know there are 3 editors.
So can I go on with Desktop and when XP dies Plus will allow me to continue my old site? Got it right?
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Drew is off for the weekend, but will return on Monday.

I switched to Win 10 and have sites on all three builders.
Photo of HannaK

HannaK

Brian I am asking: 1 Does Sitebuilder work on Win 10? (did not for me)
2.If not than  Can I use Sitebuilder Plus on Win 10 on the old site without any damage.. I do not start building any new.
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

HI Hanna, Sitebuilder is "supposed" to work with windows 10 and many have successfully installed it on their machines ( albeit with a few glitches to overcome as the thread above explains) and again yes, you can log into your Homestead account and continue to edit your current website without problems. I used SItebuilder+ to edit my desktop Sitebuilder websites when I moved up to windows ten ( did not try to download the Sitebuilder) and had no problems, in fact Sitebuilder+ had a lot more features, which, once I had learned about them, I enjoyed. Although I am "building" a new website with the new builder I am still updating my existing websites with Sitebuilder+ that were built with the desktop version.

Just log into Homestead, go to website manager, select your website ( if you have more than one) click on the Edit button and the builder programme will load and open your website. Any problems please pop back but most of all "enjoy"

PS. Just to be safe when you are in Homestead, Website Manager look to the right for the More down arrow, click on that and select Create Downloadable Archive.

Once clicked a whirilng wheel will state creating archive ( doesn't take long) then another option appears in the list to download the file, click download and save it to your computer where you can find it. I have never needed to upload an archive but.... its all saved Just in case. :)
(Edited)
Photo of Drew N

Hanna, Brian is correct. Almost always we can get desktop to work on Windows 10, but it does sometimes take a little extra work and we might need to have an agent remote into your system to do it. In a few cases we have been unable to make it work, but it is rare.Sitebuilder Plus, online can also be used to edit any of your desktop sites.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.