Sit Builder Plus.. Publishing in generic homestead url not my domain.

• Idea
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

The problem I have is easily solved but a real pain and consumes time..

When I update or save a page and publish it in SB P all the links on that page are published with the generic homestead url.. Example: jerky.homestead.com (not real site) instead of my domain BBTJerky.com.

The problem is, after udating and publishing, if I want to open a link on that page and save it to lets say word pad it is the generic homestead url. So I have to change it to my domain name.

This takes time and I always check it to make sure I typed it correct.

Question: Is there a way to publish the pages so when after you publish and view changes it is with the proper domain name.

I may not be explaining this correct. If you need more detail I will get more specific.
Photo of Richard4582

Richard4582

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Aubrey T

Aubrey T

• 15,316 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Richard -

Thanks for writing! You explained your question well and I completely understand what you're looking for. When publishing a page, Sitebuilder opens it in the long URL form -- this is done on purpose in case the domain is no longer working (i.e. pointing to another host, expired, etc). However, in your case, it makes your work process less efficient, since you have to constantly update the URL. There is currently no way to change this, but I have flagged this as an idea for our product team to consider when making updates to the site.

In the meantime, perhaps typing out your domain in a separate notepad so you can just copy and paste it rather than typing it out, may save you some time.

Thanks,
Aubrey
Photo of Blossom

Blossom

• 1,104 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I had this problem also, Richard, and was rewriting all the urls on my site. Then I found that if I go into my site with my real url (not thru HS) and go to the different pages, I see the correct urls. I see what Aubrey is saying, that HS does this for a reason, but it is confusing and frustrating when we don't know what's going on.

IOW - put in your bbtjerky.com then try your other pages. They should all show your true url rather than Homestead's. (I just went to your site. I'll be back to order soon!!) :^)

prairie-blossom.org
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,698 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
On a related topic some users register a domain and accidentally attach it to the wrong site. You can from the Domains screen you can associate a domain with a different website if your account contains multiple sites. Here are the instructions: https://community.homestead.com/homes...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.