Simplestore and Sales Tax

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Is it possible to get Simplestore to pass sales tax through to PayPal? I need to charge area specific sales tax and while Simplestore will pass shipping charges through to PayPal, it will not pass sales tax through.
Photo of Alannah3334

Alannah3334

• 1,034 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,646 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The tax should get pushed to Paypal if you set up a tax rate. What do you mean by area specific?

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Alannah3334

Alannah3334

Hi Drew,
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I live in Washington State where we have to charge destination based sales tax to WA customers. This gets very specific, down to street address but zip codes can be used and then the tax owed can be fine tuned at tax time on our remittance forms. The problem I'm having is that in order to charge destination based sales tax I would need to use Paypal with Simplestore at this point since I can only put in one tax for the whole state through Simplestore. If I set my shipping rate to zero in the store it will then apply whatever shipping I set in Paypal, but this is not the case with the sales tax. If i set up tax rates in Paypal and set the tax rate to 0 in Simplestore, it will not let the sales tax rates set in Paypal to be applied.
I hope this clarifies things a bit, sorry for the earlier confusion. Any help you could provide me would be greatly appreciated, let me know if you need further clarification. And by the way, kudos to the phone staff, they've always been great!
Thanks,
Alannah
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I see now, unfortunately I will need to consult the developers on this one. That level of tax setup is available in our Storefront product.

Drew
Photo of Alannah3334

Alannah3334

Thanks Drew, I appreciate it and will await the reply. By the way if you want to take a peek, my website is: www.healingspiritsong.com. I'd love any feedback you might have!
Cheers,
Alannah
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You have done a great job.  You have great content on there.  Normally I like a consistent look throughout the whole site rather than changing backgrounds, but in your case you made it work on the pages that change.  Thanks for sharing.

Drew
Photo of Alannah3334

Alannah3334

Thanks Drew! I really appreciate your taking the time to look at the site. It's a bit unusual I know, and the background changes as you saw are intentional in order to convey a certain alignment to the subject at hand. It's very nice to get a professional opinion! I'm looking forward to adding supportive products to my store when I can get the sales tax issue resolved. Patience is my watchword!

Thanks again and blessings,
Alannah
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You are welcome. I will let you know about the taxes this week.
Photo of Alannah3334

Alannah3334

Thanks so much for investigating this for me. And thanks for working on Sunday! I know I shouldn't be chatting you up, but given what's been going on in Colorado lately, how are things where you are? You're in Denver yes? I hope you are safe and warm and dry.

Blessings,
Alannah
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Our office is just south of Denver, in Englewood. We did manage to stay dry thanks.
Photo of Alannah3334

Alannah3334

Glad to hear it! Look forward to hearing from you next week. Have a lovely day!
Photo of Alannah3334

Alannah3334

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Simplestore and Sales Tax again.

Hi Drew,
Any updates on Simplestore allowing Paypal to apply sales tax? We talked a week or so ago, just wondering if you've gotten any info from the developers.
Thanks,
Alannah
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Good morning. I am sorry I didn't get to this yesterday, but I was swamped. The product manager did see your problem with the tax and indicated that he is investigating the problem. I will let you know what he says when he gets back to me again.

Thanks

Drew
Photo of Alannah3334

Alannah3334

Thanks so much Drew! I really appreciate your diligence with this, I know things are crazy busy over there. (I've been following the community threads). Yikes, what a couple of weeks for you guys!

No worries on my end, I have the time to wait, plenty of other things to do!

Regards,

Alannah
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Excellent. I hope to hear back before you run out of stuff.
Photo of Alannah3334

Alannah3334

Hi Drew,

Just checking in again to see if the product manager has gotten back to you.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Cheers,

Alannah
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

I am sorry, I heard from him yesterday, finally. They have been working hard on our Storefront program, so he hasn't been as responsive as usual. So, I am promoting a rethinking of this, but it was removed on purpose as Paypal can be configured to do this for you.

So for now you will need to set this up in Paypal. I am sorry for the long wait. I will be pushing to change this.

Drew
Photo of Alannah3334

Alannah3334

Hi Drew,

I had a feeling that might be the case so am setting up a Store with Paypal, and have closed the Simplestore for the time being. I know the flow isn't as smooth with Paypal but it works so I'll go with this for now and when the upgrade to Simplestore comes down the pike, I can switch back to it. Now I've just got to get all those zip codes entered! Ugh!

Thanks so much for following through on this, I really appreciate it.

Have a lovely day,

Alannah
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

You are welcome. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.