Showing wrong website address

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

When i publish my website, why does it show the wrong website address ? it should show 
http://www.cncsignmaker.com but it shows this instead
http://dscreationkshelden.homestead.com
How can i fix this ??
Photo of cncsignmaker

cncsignmaker

• 1,160 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • Confused

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

• 65,292 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Try viewing the site from your browser.
Photo of cncsignmaker

cncsignmaker

I have tried from viewing it from chrome, IE and firefox. all the same results
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

Photo of cncsignmaker

cncsignmaker

Yes that link works too. the problem is that if this link
http://dscreationkshelden.homestead.com stays online all my picture in google search will be marked from http://dscreationkshelden.homestead.com

Maybe thats okay but i just dont know why its not marked as www.cncsignmaker.com
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

http://dscreationkshelden.homestead.com only is applicable to your edited preview and is only accessible with those you share it with. Browsers will be looking at this: http://www.cncsignmaker.com/
Photo of cncsignmaker

cncsignmaker

Oh ok, Thanks. Just wondering why my pictures are tagged on google with that dscreation title tho, Just seems weird. And i dont have a clue where that dscreation name is coming from 
Photo of themieleman

themieleman, Champion

Maybe Drew can provide an explanation on Monday.
Photo of cncsignmaker

cncsignmaker

Okay, Thanks for your help Champ :)
Have a great weekend
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Now thats odd, mieliman is quite correct, whilst in homestead editing etc .homestead will be part of the URL. But your domain name www.cncsignmaker.com is pointing at the homestead website so both will take you to your pages. I have tried both and arrive at the same site each time. BUT, and heres the odd thing, the first time I tried clicking on the homestead one I arrived at a completely different website, tried again and your website came up OK. I have tried several times without a misshap but can only concur with you... a completely different website came up. DO you have more than one website?
Photo of cncsignmaker

cncsignmaker

Hi Brian, I have just one website. When i scan my site with google page speed insights it says my site has a redirect and it needs to be fixed. On google analytic i have on average 60 visites a day and about 55 visits are a 1 page visit with 0 sec for a visit or they click on different pages with 0 time. Its like the page is not loading for them or something.I think there is something very wrong for the last couple of months. I use to get close to 200 visits a day with at least 10 sales a day. now for the last 2 months not 1 sale. there has to be something wrong. The site is about 8-9 years old so its not like the site is a new one. when i search with my keywords i am on the first page in google 
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

I really do not have an answer for you. Google analytics leaves me cold I am afraid and I am fairly up with PC  / internet / website building knowledge  I just dont see the value in the figures. I also use Bing webmaster tools ( part of the Yahoo group ) which offer a similar function. Your index page is great, your site is easy to navigate and your products look amazing. Who hosts your domain name? I will assume its a 301 redirect which tells search engines its parmanent as opposed to a 302 redirect which is temporary and not regarded by search engines. Your pages / site is excellent but maybe you could check with the company that holds your domain name and see if they are having a problem. I have tried copy and pasting both URLs today rather than clicking on the above links and all is working fine. Check your redirect settings haven't been changed by the domain name holders and we shall see what the tech guys say when they come back on Monday... All the best
(Edited)
Photo of cncsignmaker

cncsignmaker

Hi Brian,

Hope you had a great day. I was checking in my account and i come across this.Not sure why it is like this. I haven't heard from Drew of any of the crew today. they must of have lots of customers to deal with today. maybe they will be in touch today. i just thought i would ask your opinion on this. Let me know what your thoughts are if you get a chance. Thanks a bunch. and you can email from my site if that would be easier for you 

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

First question. Who holds your domain name. is it with Homestead or a third party. From the notifiction above it would appear that the pointing is correct so the anomaly could have come from the outage they experienced. I have just two domain names with Homestead and my pointing panel is in a slightly different format and quite clear they point correctly without the warnings etc you see on your panel, but my domain names are with a third party. I design / build websites for clients on my account and if they are pleased with the results I then get them to open their own accounts, arrange their unique domain names and re-create their site for them on their account. Once done they are then at liberty to change their password and maintain their sites themselves so I only have my two domain names. I have checked both your domains and they link fine but that doesn't explain the drop off in custom. I am in the UK so have to make adjustments to time zones but would expect Drew or one of the guys to be in touch in the forum soon. But, if we accept that your site is being found correctly, why are you not getting the interest you experienced earlier. Are you appearing as high on search engines as before. Your previous domain name has earned its place in rankings and I know, when you change the domain name you have to start all over again, building your presence with search engines, maybe thats the cause....As I mentioned, Google analytics, I find, to much tech speak and much prefer Bing Webmaster tools so maybe give  them a go as well. they have tools to help boost you "presence" it couldn't hurt.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
cncsignmaker, The address with .homestead.com is a valid address provided so that a domain is not required. You may see this address as Brian suggested in the editor and preview, but visitors and Google should see the domain name. I have never been involved with any hosting company that does not provide this type of addressing. Search engines understand this and can handle what is happening.

As far as the redirect, it is true we do not use the ideal redirect option for Google, however, it is a very minor issue.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.