Share your website built with the new builder.

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

Let's see some of the websites that have been built with the new builder!  
Photo of bryanrpaul6923

bryanrpaul6923

• 284 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Excellent idea - if I ever get mine done I shall share!  :)
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
yeah... I echo that sentiment...  :)
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 5,702 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Same here......
Photo of JOHN5471

JOHN5471

• 1,284 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have been working on my site update since the changeover. All finished now, and the domain name has been changed too.  What do you think? www.calvertonvillage.com Just need to work on the mobile part of the site. The top logo gets cut in half via a mobile!
(Edited)
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 5,702 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Very nice! I didn't get to look at all the pages but what I did see was impressive.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

Fascinating history and a job well done on the site itself. It's obvious you have done a lot of research and gathering of photos to showcase this lovely village.

Thank you for sharing - I have bookmarked so I can go back and continue reading!
Photo of JOHN5471

JOHN5471

Thank you!
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Hats off to you John that's a remarkable website about the village.Followed a few links, rode the belt etc and the black seam.... phew, a lot of work and the dedication is obvious.. But were about websites, not history, and that my friend, is an excellent example of a new build website.. Having built a historic website for the RAF I know how much work is involved and you should feel proud. Just one niggle,, those three green dots that scroll along with the page, I found a tad distracting...But at the end of the day your efforts go to demonstrate just what is achievable with the new websitebuilder if we stick at it.. Thank you for sharing
Photo of SanDiegoTicketExpert

SanDiegoTicketExpert

• 1,708 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Very well done. Your pictures are beautiful :)

I noticed you're located in Nottingham, and here in the States when you hear that word the first thing that comes to mind is evil sheriff in Robin Hood. Which brings me to my question: is the Robin Hood story a big deal there? I didn't see it mentioned in your history section, so had to ask :) 

Cheers!
(Edited)
Photo of JOHN5471

JOHN5471

Not within the village, but to the whole of Nottinghamshire it's massive!!
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Would appreciate your opinions on work so far and please be as critical as you feel.. With all the stops and starts and things I CANT do in this builder I have settled for a simple design.... but even I am not sure about it...    hssurveys.homesteadcloud.com
(Edited)
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I'm going to be tough on you Brian!  :)
The site is clean, easily navigated and provides some really good info. I like the header and the layout and the simple design, is in my opinion, far and away better than one that has made use of all the distracting animations. Your visitors focus thus remains on the information and not on things coming at them from all directions!
Ok now for the but .... not really a but, rather just a few suggestions.
1. People don't read and when presented with large blocks of text they will skip over it. Consider breaking up the info, especially on your Home page and toss in an image, offer some bullet points in lieu of some of the text. Lists will be read, bullet points will be read, images will be looked at. By incorporating some of that with short (er) paragraphs you will be more apt to retain your visitor.
2. It could use a bit of editing. I learned long ago to never try to do my own because if you miss it once you'll no doubt miss it again. There is just some tidying up that could be done to make the site more 'spot on'.
3. Internal links are important to SEO so you might toss in a few of those to link one page to another that offers up the information you are referring to.
4. On the page titles if it's a question I'd be sure to add a ? to it - just because people like me will expect one. lol
Overall a very nice job and I expect we'll see changes as time goes on. Websites are like children - we're never, ever done with them. 

P.S. Check this site for suggestions on the optimal line length:
http://baymard.com/blog/line-length-readability
(Edited)
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Susan, you are never tough, just honest, which I wholeheartedly approve of.. Reading through yours and San Deigos critiques I was nodding yep, yep, yep all through you are absolutley correct so I have copied and pasted both your critiques and will read through them and see what I can do.  No excuse but a reason. I am in the Police Service and one of my roles for the past 10 years is to visit victims of burglary, partly to make house to house enquiries of neighbours for any intel and to try and give reassurance and advice to the victims.. Part of the advice would be to idenify the method of entry, work out why the burglar chose that route, what made it attractive to him and the "behaviour pattern" of the burglar to ascertain if it was carried out by an "opportunist" or targeted for a specific reason. I could then carry out a survey of the house and make recommendations on how to improve their security.. I retire in 12 months time and am planning on providing this service ( pre and post burgalry) as a consultant. BUT!! as serving in the Police I cannot perform this function "off duty" as a clear conflict of interets.

So, the idea behind the website is to give good security information, short of offereing a personal service, to improve its standing in the web searches so it will be up there when I can add the final consultancy page. So direct contact could prove a problem..

Thank you both very much for valuable feedback and I will be certain to address the points raised. I will press on re-enthused.. :)

SanDiegoTicketExpert

Hey Brian:

Very nice :) You have a ton of good information that's well organized and segues nicely from page to page. I had to smile when I read Susan's comments, as I just had a friend who acts as his firm's unofficial IT guru give me a few of the same critiques (okay, and I admit after finishing the Readability article that I also immediately started counting characters in my lines of text . . . I guess 16-point font WAS too small . . . sigh).

I had been using 40-point font header text and 25-point font for body text to ensure everything was easily readable regardless of screen size, but that plan turned out to be essentially unworkable for the mobile version of my site. In line with what Susan said, my friend's first comment concerning my site was that I was being "too wordy," and that I needed to add more "interesting" images to the 5 main pages listed on my navigation menu and move the majority of the text blocks to internal pages (in addition to reducing the font size). I don't "tweet," so hadn't really considered it, but he made the remark that pretty much anyone under 25 won't read more than 140 characters at a time because it's just "too much effort." 

Anyway, the site looks great, but I would make two small suggestions:

1) I don't know if it's something you want out there, but I've advised to always put whatever way you want to be contacted, e.g. phone number, email, etc. prominently in the header; and

2) As Susan suggested (and my friend hammered into me with his constant bashing of my old site), your '"landing page" should have a large image that grabs the user's attention, conveys the theme/message of your site, and make him/her want to explore your other pages. I was advised to think of my landing page as a "hook," so just provide enough information to pique curiosity and provide "something shiny" to click on that takes users to an internal page with bullet-point type info linked to more detailed discussion of the bullet point's subject matter found on other internal pages. I'm told using this method will raise my search ranking, and I have to admit I've more than doubled my daily hits since going more towards this model. You two obviously have WAY more know-how on this type of this, so please let me know if you disagree with my comments and why (despite reading everything I can on how Google actually works, I'm still at a loss).

Cheers :)  
Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

Totally agree with all your comments buddy and as I have replied to Susan I have copied and pasted your critique into word to be able to read and re read to make the changes. Not too sure I have more know how, its easier building for a customer because I delivered what they wanted, with a lot of guidance lol but doing it for yourself!!!!! for you future income is a new experience for me.. As for Google Analytics, like you, I have read  lots and still none the wiser.. Thank you once again for taking the time to cast your eye over the website and your great suggestions.
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

SD here's the thing. You basically have 10 seconds to capture your visitors attention. So you should have good quality content that tells the viewer who you are, what you offer and how you can help them. And this should all come above the fold - that portion of the site that viewers see when your site first opens. That means if you go with a super-sized header you are losing valuable real estate.
Crumb I need to go dig up your site address again and take another gander. BRB  :)

Ok here's what I see when you page opens up:

So, the #1 in the phone number has dropped down - there is still the second Trouble. Things come flying in from all directions. Robert you're an attorney and your site should project that professionalism. Your home page is the guts of your site and while some advocate for a big splashy picture or pictures, when I visit a website I want to know something, not just look at a picture. But you can combine the two effectively giving the Search Engines some fodder and still have an attention drawing image. And so on and so on ...
Here's a site that really has done a good job explaining what a home page should be. I hesitate to offer it up as they offer an SEO package, but I really like how they've put together the best approach to Home pages. So ignore the ad and just focus on the how to:
https://www.rocketspark.com/roadmap/
Your internal pages are much more in line with the exception of all the moving, jerking, flying ins and outs. Also, I'd recommend that any photos just be static, rather than moving in.
I know you've had fun with all the animations, but it's time to put the toys away and go for a professional site. So say I - and that and $3.00 will get you a cup of coffee. 

Keep us posted as you progress.  :)
(Edited)

SanDiegoTicketExpert

Hey Susan:

Thanks you SO MUCH for the candor - and especially that article - just great information. I know I went overboard with the animations, and was trying to use them to direct attention to various areas on my pages. However, I admit I got a little carried away. 

Am I curious why the 1, Trouble? and LESS!!! are displaced in the screenshot you included. I am using a 27" monitor, but have viewed this page on my Mom's screen at Christmas, and nothing was jumbled. Am I slightly overhanging the center margins or is the font just still too big? Any diagnosis? 

Cheers and thanks again, I really do appreciate your input :)
Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

I can't say for sure why and if you can't see it then it will be difficult for you to troubleshoot it. I'm using a 21" monitor and resolution is 1920 x 1080 and viewing in Fire Fox. Checked it in IE and this is what I got:

I guess you could try going with a smaller font to see if improves, but perhaps wait until someone else chimes in to see if they are seeing the same.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.