How can I get Sitebuilder Desktop?

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived

This conversation was archived and is no longer visible to community members.

shame on homestead! They are phasing out Site Builder! Can't find way to download it! Been a Customer of theirs since 1999! Homestead wants everyone to pay for everything!
Photo of David

David

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

• 28,258 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi David,

Welcome to the Community!

I apologize for the frustration. You are correct that any new sign-ups are automatically put on the Sitebuilder Plus platform. The online version has newer design templates and features such as a master template page. However, if you like, I'd be more than happy to add the Sitebuilder Desktop option to your account. The only thing to note is that you would have to start over with your website as the new templates available with plus aren't compatible with the desktop version (because of the master template)

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of David

David

Chris!

YES! PLEASE DO IT!

I have used Homestead for over 200 Websites all over the World since 1999! I really miss the Site Builder!

This account is for a Client.......and I want to make his website fully current with NO restrictions!

I really like using Homestead! I teach FREE Computer Class at our Local Senior Center ........have taught over one thousand Seniors! My oldest Attendee? Was a 95 year old Nuclear Physicist who wanted to learn How To Do E-Mail!

My personal site is at http://www.sam1234.com

Sam Judie working for David Vaknin ........hopefullu building website named: David's Vintage Jewelry!

Sam Judie in Henderson, NV
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the quick response. I've updated your account to either use Sitebuilder Plus or Desktop. The next time you login, click Websites Manager on the left and select the down arrow next to Edit Site. This will then give you the option to download sitebuilder desktop (if you already have it will say Edit with Sitebuilder Desktop).

That's awesome that you teach seniors how to build websites! I'm sure teaching someone how to use a computer at 95 isn't easy.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of ridergmc2430

ridergmc2430

• 70 Points
Chris, could you do that for me also.
Photo of inariibels9448

inariibels9448

• 976 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Me too ... I miss the old site builder and used it for MANY years ... not liking this new builder on the site :-(
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Ridergmc and inariibels,

Both of your accounts now have the option to use Sitebuilder desktop. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of inariibels9448

inariibels9448

Thank you so much!
Photo of David

David

Hello Chris ,

still trying to figure things out. I want to be able to get a " blank white " page and NOT the pre designed website page. In the past I have been able to do this and now I can not ? The blank page works on my account ( tarln3s ) but not my client's account ( dare3212000 ). In fact I can not even log into sitebulider without the " error " message stating in part can not edit from this... http://hustlerslasvegas.homestead.com.... Thanks Chris
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi,

Sorry for the frustrations. When you choose to start a new page, it should give you the option to go with a blank white page(start from scratch) option. In the online version, when you select to make a new page, you will see the option for Blank under the pages dropdown menu.

As far as editing in Sitebuilder, unfortunately because you started davidsvitagejewelry.com in Sitebuilder Plus, it has a master template which the desktop version doesn't recognize. The only way to use the desktop version would be to start over with a new site (now that you have the option to use either builder, it won't give you the master template when you choose a new design or start from scratch).

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of David

David

Chris.......Can't even get the online editor to work on the new website either

Sam in Henderson http://www.sam1234.com
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Sam,

When you try to edit in the online editor, do you get an error message? Could you please respond with the sitename so I can pull up your account with this website to see what the issue may be?

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of David

David

I just today downloaded Internet Explorer 10 ! And I still am having problems! I have done over 200 Websites for friends all over the world since 1999 using Homestead! I learned of Homestead in the 1990's by reading the magazine PC Computing! http://www.pcmag.com/ So you can imagine how very unhappy I currently am with HOMESTEAD!
Photo of ridergmc2430

ridergmc2430

• 70 Points
i for one liked this topic very much. I used to have the old website builder and believe it was also better.
Photo of Mike5091

Mike5091

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm with you on that. I've been with Homestead for a number of years (4 websites) and have encouraged 7 or 8 other people to use the service. Sitebuilder Plus has been complete headache right from the start. When i complained about the issues I was having they said it was my computer. Well it seems it's also my laptop, my admin's computer, my girlfriend's computer and the computers at her clinic. It must be David's computer too. But it certainly isn't Sitebuilder Plus. At present the issue hasn't been addressed by Homestead. If they said yes we apologize and we're working to change this I would be good with that. But that hasn't been the case so now i have to look at other web builders.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Mike,

I apologize for the frustrations. Is the issue you're having that you can't download sitebuilder or is it that you can't open it? I was able to open a couple of your sites using the desktop version so I'm guess you are having an issue when it comes to installing it. If so, please let me know what operating system you are on and I can send further instructions.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of Sam Judie

Sam Judie

• 382 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Chris..........

To CLARIFY?

My Client's account is: dare3212000@yahoo,com

Thanks a MILLION! .........Sam
http://www.sam1234.com
Photo of Sam Judie

Sam Judie

Chris.......

I created a website called www.ShameOnHomeStead.com ......GoDaddy should have it 'live' in a couple of hours? http://www.ShameOnHomeStead.com ?

Please......please..........do all you can to FIX THIS! SOON!

I still find it hard to believe that NO ONE ELSE has brought 'this' to your attention? INCREDIBLE!

........Sam
http://www.sam1234.com
Photo of Sam Judie

Sam Judie

Photo of inariibels9448

inariibels9448

O,o why shame? Just ask to have your account enabled for it LOL jebus talk about getting up on a soapbox
Photo of Sam Judie

Sam Judie

It has been enabled! For years! And on new Client's Site? I have had 'Chris' enable it for Homestead Builder .........I don't understand why Homestead has messed with such a Great Website Builder that has been in existence for well over a decade now!
Photo of Sam Judie

Sam Judie

again.... My account is: tarln3s ...........and my newest client is: dare3212000@yahoo.com or zeave3210i36
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Sam,

The account for dare321200... has been updated to use sitebuilder desktop. However, unfortunately you will need to start the website complete over with a new blank template as the current one you have uses the master template which isn't compatible with the desktop version. As soon as you pick a new design, you will be able to use the desktop version.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of vernontxlions

vernontxlions

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Chris,

I am also a user of Homestead websites with a couple other sites and started a new one yesterday. However, the one I just started yesterday does not allow me to build the site with Sitebuilder desktop - which I prefer over the online version. Can you please add this option to our account? Let me know what info you may need from me to do this. Thank you.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Vernontxlions,

Welcome to the Community!. Your new account has been updated to either use the plus or desktop version. However, because you started with plus only, you will need to restart the design of your site (choose a new design). Because the online version has the master template, it isn't recognized by the desktop version.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of vernontxlions

vernontxlions

Thank you. However, I am still unable to login to the desktop version. It tells me my login information is not correct however it is the same login information I use to login to the homestead website.
Photo of inariibels9448

inariibels9448

Me as well ... I cannot seem to log in on the desktop version.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi,

Please login to your accounts. Once logged in, click Website Manager on the left. When that page opens, click on the down arrow next to edit site and choose to edit with sitebuilder. This should launch the program and auto-log you in. My guess is that because of the account switch, it will first need to recognize the auto login and then you will be able to launch through your desktop icon.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of vernontxlions

vernontxlions

When I try to do that a popup comes up and says that it is unable to launch Sitebuilder. Could this have anything to do with waiting on our domain to transfer from another hosting site? We are in the 5-7 day window waiting on the transfer.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi vernontxlions,

Sorry for the confusion. It appeared because you started your design in sitebuilder plus only, it had a master template that wasn't compatible with the desktop version. I recreated your site in the different format so you can now edit with desktop. I tested it and everything seems to be working.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of vernontxlions

vernontxlions

Fantastic - it works now! Thank you VERY much!
Photo of Sam Judie

Sam Judie

CHRIS! Please HELP US! Time is a wasting!
I cannot imagine the owners of Homestead NOT doing something to rectify this HUGE PROBLEM with their Site Builder?

I have 'Clients' waiting on their Websites!

Sam in Henderson NV
Photo of inariibels9448

inariibels9448

I recall back in the day to make the site builder work it required java installs and another system update ... perhaps this is the issue or do we need to do something in our settings to make this work for us?

Just lemme know what to install or click :-) Thankies
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi inariibels,

Sorry for not catching this earlier. Because you chose a template from the new gallery, it comes with a master template section that isn't compatible with the desktop version. The only way to fix this is you would have to start over and chose a design that doesn't have the master template.

I created a new site on your account and was able to open it using the desktop version. You can definitely choose a different design for it, but please copy over your text and images and you will then be able to go between either program.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of inariibels9448

inariibels9448

Chris which design doesn't have the master template or should I delete all the pages? I've got them all backed up and saved already awaiting further instruction :-)
Photo of inariibels9448

inariibels9448

Chris I went on a whim and deleted all my pages in file manager :-) Then opened the desktop site builder to start from scratch and it appears to be working for me.
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi inariibels,

When you log into your account, click on Websites Manager in the left navigation menu. The one that says iinariibels123.homestead.com is the one that doesn't have the master template and can open in Sitebuilder desktop. If you like, under the Edit Site button, feel free to click on Choose a different design and select a different template. All designs that open up will be desktop friendly.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of inariibels9448

inariibels9448

Um Chris ... went and used site builder to build the base pages ... then had to close it and tried to go back it to fix a link error I had made and now cannot get back into desktop at all and it says I cannot edit my pages that way ... so I can build them once then have to delete them all again to build them all from scratch every time? Does the desktop version really no longer work at all!?
Photo of inariibels9448

inariibels9448

Pardon my exclaimation points but have been trying to get my base pages built and ready for public view for days with this issue and now all my work is gone yet again ... so I can ONLY edit them on the site plus builder???
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi inariibels,

Sorry for the confusion. It looks you spoke to a support agent yesterday who switched your account back to Sitebuilder Plus only. In doing that, it made it so you couldn't use the program anymore. If you like I can switch your account again back to being able to use the desktop version. However, unfortunately you will need to recreate the site again as the design you have is only good for the online versions.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of Sam Judie

Sam Judie

At http://www.ShameOnHomestead.com ........I am now linking back to this Discussion Page........and I checked YouTube for some 'How To" Videos on using Homestead Builder.......but they are ALL 2-4 years old!

COME ON HOMESTEAD! Give us some New Videos on HOW TO USE YOUR WEBSITE BUILDER!

I really like the width of http://www.DavidsVintageJewelry.com ! I hope I can still have 100% Width on a plain white back ground Homestead Website too? It looks sooooo good on my 27 inch Monitor!
Photo of Sam Judie

Sam Judie

HOMESTEAD! PLEASE............I am BEGGING YOU! ..............PLEASE HELP US!
Photo of Sam Judie

Sam Judie

Oh...! DUMMY ME!

That pretty Website is from GO DADDY! Not Homestead!

Well........that is because I have NOT fully changed the Domain Pointing Thingie yet at GoDaddy!

I am 66 years old and have suffered TWO Strokes! I am barely a High School Graduate am fairly ... "DEE DEE DEE" anymore........

So..............these problems that I am encountering at Homestead are DOUBLY HARD FOR ME! Won't You Please Help Me?
Photo of Sam Judie

Sam Judie

Hmmmm? Maybe its time I start using GoDaddy to build my websites?

http://hustlerslasvegas.homestead.com...
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Sam,

Again sorry for the all the frustrations. Both of your accounts have been setup to use either the desktop or online plus version. The only issue is that you will need to start over with DavidsVintageJewelry as the design you currently have is only supported in the plus version.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of Sam Judie

Sam Judie

Chris.......

Thank You! Seems it is better I stick with the "Devil I Know" than to switch to Go Daddy! Go Daddy is also having problems........ https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&s...

Well.........keeping My Fingers Crossed that I can work around the problems being experienced by HOMESTEAD!
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Sam,

Glad to hear things are starting to get better. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thanks,

Chris
Photo of David

David

Chris?
Are You Still There?
I give up! The new 'Site Builder Plus' is a total NightMare! I am completely surprised that Homestead would release this new builder with SOOOOOO many flaws and limitations! I am really... DUMBFOUNDED! I thought that Homestead was a large enough company to have several hundred if not thousands of Customers? How Very Disappointing!~

So........? Chris? Please allow my client's account: dare3212000@yahoo.com to use the Site Builder please? Pretty Please? With 'sugar' on it?

I would be very grateful!.......Sam Judie of http://www.sam1234.com
Photo of S

S

• 6,760 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I am also a long time user of Homestead (late 1990's); and although there have been a few 'bumps' along the road, I have noticed a vast improvement in Customer Service (from the past few years) in my most recent phones interactions. Congratulations everyone!

Our websites are also built on the Desktop version and during an unrelated call this past fall I was told the Desktop was phasing out and no longer supported. So I allowed the transfer to happen. I first noticed the footer change and Cindy was kind enough to update all our pages removing the Homestead Footer. (TY!)

I was told to remove the Desktop software (which I just recently did a few weeks ago) as I thought it was interfering with the Plus. In doing a bit of research I am thinking that was not the problem and some of the issues I am experiencing with Plus are being experienced not only by sites originally built on Desktop but also built on Plus.

I noticed now that I have removed Desktop when I log in to my account there is an icon to download Desktop. Is is going away? and If I go back to using Desktop and down the road forced to use Plus, will I run into all the current compatibility issues as I did during this conversion?

Current issues (several seem to be experienced also by only Plus users):

Navigation menu most definitely not compatible w/Plus. Although was fine in the published version, recently it became distorted (without any changes made) and I was forced to decrease the font size (which makes it kind of small). The distortion was erratic in both IE and FF using most recent of both browsers.

Constantly experiencing the erratic copy/paste that others seem to have in Plus and also showing text (at will) in Live site as italic when it is not and sometimes on an entire half page.

This is a huge informational website supporting our Storefront and now that the Holiday season is over, it is time to start working on it but having huge difficulty in getting 'what I want' in formatting.

Not sure what direction to take - go back to Desktop (but for how long before it is no longer available). I also had a domain name changed on a site built with Desktop (but not really developed). I am ready to move forward with this site but should it/could it be converted to Plus before I move forward designing it? Will converting or building this domain on Plus change the way search engines currently see it?

So confused by the Desktop / Plus issues including short and long term availability of Desktop. Do you have any time-line on this?

Much appreciate the input!
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Sally,

Thanks for posting.

You are correct that the direction Homestead is heading in is the full use of the Sitebuilder Plus platform. I haven't heard of the desktop version being phased out (a lot of people still use it), but I do know that they aren't making anymore upgrades to it.

The desktop and plus versions are completely separate from one another so the issues you are seeing have nothing to do with the desktop version being installed on your computer. There are definitely some bugs being worked out in the plus version so if you are comfortable with the desktop platform, I highly recommend you still use it.

There are only a few enhancments in the plus version that aren't recognized by the desktop version (mainly contact form and png files). There isn't any timeframes on when the desktop version may go away and you will only have the option to use the plus version, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Thanks!

Chris
Photo of S

S

• 6,760 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello Chris -

Thank you so much for your quick response. lol..Ok, now I know why I am a 'pack rat' I just recently deleted Desktop (per instructions), if I download it again hopefully it will go smoothly without issues.

Just so I can plan ahead (and with a smooth transition), can you possibly answer the following:

If I download Desktop and work on the website originally built on that platform:

* will all the editing done in Plus be seamless back into Desktop?

* can the site be edited through both Desktop and Plus?

* whenever the permanent transition does occur, will I have to re-edit every page i.e. 'Homestead footer'? (a gracious staff member helped me with that but I still had quite a bit of tweaking to do).

* I was told Navigation Menu transition from Desktop to Plus was a problem - is this one of the issues being worked on? (I have a temporary solution on this but when time permits might just redo the entire Navigation which would be a HUGE undertaking; but still unclear if it was the transition or that the Navigation and website is built on the old template?

*I also have a second site and at the time we transitioned to Plus, office staff changed the domain name for me. This site is really not developed but I would like to start on it this quarter. Can it / would you recommend it being developed on the new templates?

Not sure what type of input you can provide at this time but think you can see where I'm headed on this. Don't really want to take the so-called easy route for right now if I am going to have a similar transition problem at whatever time down the road.

Sorry for the length of this and thank you in advance for your assistance,
Sally
Photo of David

David

Chris........

I am going to close my Clients Acct at Homestead.........

I LOVE GOOGLE!

Spent just a couple of hours this morning researching Website Builders and have decided on a UK Company: http://www.moonfruit.com/

For about the same price.....but miles ahead in capabilities!

Love the name: MOON FRUIT

Sam in Henderson Nevada http://www.sam1234.com
Photo of David

David

Still looking..........found yet another great one! WIX! http://www.wix.com/upgrade/website#
Photo of Tony3127

Tony3127

• 534 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Wait a second!!! You mean I can use the original Sitebuilder desktop version that I had been using since day 1? That is not the way it was explained to me. I was told I had to use the new Sitebuilder (even though I am a long-time customer). There is a choice? All of my sites were built using the desktop version. Why was I forced out? I have been struggling for the last few months for no reason with Sitebuilder Plus?
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Tony,

I'm very sorry for the frustration and confusion. I'm not sure why you were forced to only use the Plus version. I've updated your account to use either the desktop or plus version.

The next time you login to your account, click on Website Manager in the left navigation menu. When that page opens up, click the down arrow next to Edit Site and you will see the option again to use the desktop version.

Again sorry for the confusion. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Chris
Photo of Tony3127

Tony3127

• 534 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Chris, I do appreciate it. When I go back to using the desktop version, will it affect any of the edits I made in Plus? Especially things like framing out images (which the desktop - last I used - did not feature). I don't want to mess up anything I did in plus by undoing it in the desktop version. Thanks
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Tony,

There are certain features that won't be accessible within the desktop version. You are correct that if you did a framing out of an image, that won't show within the desktop version. However, as long as you don't touch that image, it should remain the same.

There are a few other elements that won't show up as well:

- Any PNG image files
- Pre made contact forms
- Images that have design elements attached.

I would recommend creating a new page in the plus version and add the different elements that weren't available in the desktop version. You can then open that page in the desktop to see what it looks like. For further testing, try publishing that page in desktop and see if any of the elements go away. I don't believe they do, but I'd hate to say that and then your images disappear. I do know some people that will publish their site in desktop, and then go into the plus version to publish again (just to make sure their elements are still on the page).

Thanks!

Chris
Photo of Emery Heuermann

Emery Heuermann

• 1,036 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Chris,
Please reconfirm (but only if you are allowed to . . don't want you losing your job)your response to Sally in the second paragraph, last sentence. To repeat your statemnt, "I do know that they aren't making anymore upgrades to it (sitebuilder desktop).
Emery in Houston
Please post this website on pinterest.
www.alpost305.org

"Hi Sally,

Thanks for posting.

You are correct that the direction Homestead is heading in is the full use of the Sitebuilder Plus platform. I haven't heard of the desktop version being phased out (a lot of people still use it), but I do know that they aren't making anymore upgrades to it.

The desktop and plus versions are completely separate from one another so the issues you are seeing have nothing to do with the desktop version being installed on your computer. There are definitely some bugs being worked out in the plus version so if you are comfortable with the desktop platform, I highly recommend you still use it.

There are only a few enhancments in the plus version that aren't recognized by the desktop version (mainly contact form and png files). There isn't any timeframes on when the desktop version may go away and you will only have the option to use the plus version, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Thanks!
Chris"
Photo of Chris Folmer

Chris Folmer, Alum

Hi Emery,

That is correct. At this time all upgrades or enhancements are only being made to the online plus version. There aren't any talks of upgrading the desktop version yet. Hopefully our product and development will re-consider this as I know a lot of people prefer the downloadable program.

Thanks!

P.S Your site has been added to Pinterest.

Chris