Screen Sizing questions

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I know how to center my web pages and I know how to change the width of the page. How do I find the right width so that it appears the same on all computers. For example, when I view the published copy on my computer I have to scroll to the right to see the whole page. When I open it on my other computer it is all there. I don't want the customers to have to scroll. Thank you!
Photo of Traci4126

Traci4126

• 440 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of SanDiegoTicketExpert

SanDiegoTicketExpert

• 1,708 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hey Traci, are you using the new WebsiteBuilder or the previous program, Sitebuilder? If you're using the new program, you currently have to stay between the two vertical lines (which also constitutes the width of the mobile view). The width is 960.

Hope this helps :) Cheers
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sitebuilder works on a fixed width template. It will not resize based on the screen resolution. To make it mobile friendly, you can use our partnership with Dudamobile. You can also make a site with our new Websitebuilder. Unfortunately, we can not convert an existing site to the new builder.

This is so very sad.  You have some really great templates and the format of the new web based program is so easy to use.  It baffles me in this day an age why your programmers would not have built in an auto resize feature.  The technology to do this is not rocket science and I am definitely going to wean myself out of using homestead because of this. The site I am testing looks great in explorer. and really way over sized in chrome. If I minimize the windows or go on a smaller computer like my laptop it just looks horrible. And it won't come up on my phone at all.  It switches to a skewed auto mobil version even though I have not set up a mobil site. It should pull up just the regular web page but it doesn't.  A little feedback from a very long time customer, for you.  Pass it on. Very disappointed.  

Photo of Brian4612

Brian4612, Champion

• 32,264 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Sadly the sitebuilder version you are using is ove 16 years old, back to windows 95. As far as I know there are not many programmes written for Win95 that will work on windows 10..Again back in 1998 there were no tablets, ipads or smart phones, the mobiles had green screens and square pixels and internet access via a mobile phone was in its infancy. Google Chrome didnt exists and all we had was IE. The new Websitebuilder is cloud based, new 21st centuary techonology and is "responsive" so, in theory it should resize automatically depending on the size of screen being used to view. ( note.. theory and should) Its not perfect and it has more than its fair shre of teething problems but it has the potential to be a superb builder.  MAybe you should give it a try, se what you think, Good Luck

I am talking about the ne website builder unless I am in the intermediate one.  There is the site building program that you download to your computer (old, old, old).  Then they came out with a cloud based web program years ago.  I was told last fall that they would launching a new cloud based program that would take care of all the issues and have really great new updated technology and If I am in the right place, it isn't any better than the old desktop one except they have better templates.  But you can buy a great template from 1000 places.  WHATEVER

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
There are currently 3 site builders in play. The (oldest) desktop version, Site Builder Plus that is cloud based and the new Websitebuilder that is also cloud-based.

The newest version can be accessed by clicking on Add A Site on your log in page. You name it, build it and when you are ready you switch it over to your current domain name.

In terms of it not being any better than the old, original desktop I wonder if you are indeed viewing the newest of the builders. The Websitebuilder is responsive, has the benefit of drop down menus/navigations, many new templates or you can build your own, it also offers alternatives to the galleries, Section layouts, blog capabilities, etc.

If I were to rank the builders it would be: #1 Desktop, although it does lack some 21st century 'must haves' like drop down menus and it isn't responsive, but still the most intuitive and easiest to use and you can work outside of the cloud which is a plus for those times when you can't be online. #2 the new Websitebuilder because it does have those 'must haves' and once the kinks are ironed out it should be a very impressive builder. #3 SiteBuilder Plus just never impressed me - it seemed a poor substitute for desktop given it lacked the 'must haves' and was cloud-based.

I feel the new builder does offer updated technology that holds it own against anything else out there.

So if that isn't the one that you are referring to you might want to take it for a test drive.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me. It's very kind of you.  The one I am talking about is the one located at homestead.com.  All the new additions in there, that you mention, are for not if you don't end up with a site that will resize itself depending upon the viewers platform, IMO. In the response from support above he does state that the templates work on a fixed width, which is just ridiculous in this day and age. I also think it is just crazy to have three versions of programming for one service. 

Photo of susan2829

susan2829, Champion

• 43,192 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
He was referring to SiteBuilder Plus in the post above.
The builders are all located at homestead.com
The newest one is indeed responsive. I am building two sites with it at present and if you look around at the various posts you will find site addresses for ones that people have already built. www.csthousing.com is one.

If you don't click on the ADD A SITE as shown below you aren't going to be seeing the newest version.
(Edited)
Photo of Traci4126

Traci4126

So if I were to switch to websitebuilder, can I copy and paste the info from my old pages onto my new pages or would i need to retype everything?  Second, is the new websitebuilder part of what I am already paying for or would this be a new fee/contract.  Thank you both again!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

The easiest thing seems to be to copy/paste the text from the current published site. You will need to upload images though.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Sorry. It is included. Any new site you create will be on the new builder.
Photo of Traci4126

Traci4126

Excellent.  I am going to start designing in the new websitebuilder and see if I can figure it all out. THank you again for helping so quickly.  I am excited about the new program.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.