Roundcube: Identity

• Article
  • Updated 1 month ago
How do I change the name displayed in the "from field" in Roundcube?

1. Click Settings

2. Click Identities

3. Click on your email address under Identities

4. Enter the desired content in the Display Name field.

Photo of Homestead FAQ

Homestead FAQ, Employee

• 43,696 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Stephen6051

Stephen6051

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How do I add a 2nd identity?  I assume this is possible since the section is called 'Identities', but I cannot figure out how.  This is important to my business because at times, different people will be replying to this particular email address.
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

• 37,392 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello Stephen,

I do see how the verbiage can be misleading but Roundcube does have a limit of one identity per mailbox. 
Photo of Stephen6051

Stephen6051

I have another mailbox in which I have 3 identities that I ahve had for years and I checked this morning and they are still there???
I am just trying to figure out a way for one person to easily change the signature to their own (without retyping entire signature) 
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

If you don't mind providing what mailbox has multiple? I can review it to look for any differences. 
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

It can be kept in a notepad and copied and pasted. 
Photo of Stephen6051

Stephen6051

Is there a more efficient solution?  If I have 3 on one email, I should be able to on another
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

When Roundcube was first launched the option to add multiple identities was available, which must have been when these were set up. It has since been limited to 1 to avoid abuse of this feature, apologies. 
Photo of Stephen6051

Stephen6051

I don't know what abuse youare talking about, I suppose anyone can abuse anything if they desire to.  But my organization has a legit useful need for mutiple sender identities or signatures. This is from your Roundcube Support page, copied less than 5 minutes ago:

Managing Multiple Sender Identities

Unless restricted by the server administrator, the identities list has control buttons for adding and deleting sender identities. If present, click the + icon in the identities list footer to create a new identity. Fill out the form and click Save to create it. The new identity is now added to the list and can be edited or deleted from there.

The Delete button also located in the identities list footer will delete the currently selected identity after displaying a confirmation dialog.

Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

I understand but the restriction has been set in place, I do apologize. I can send some feedback about that changes but unfortunately it is limited to 1 as of now. 
Photo of Stephen6051

Stephen6051

Also, I have found a very unelagant work around (that I do NOT consider a solution).  Roundcube provides a 'Responses' option in which I can creat multiple 'Responses' that say anything I want them to say???  So I can create under 'Responses' something approximating a signature, however is not formattable in HTML so it is very generic looking (not the image I want for my company).  

It strikes me as ridiculous that Roundcube restricts the number of 'signatures' to one to prevent 'abuse' while simultaneously allowing for 'Responses' that are multiple and customizeable.

I've been with Homestead for 16 years, I have had a website and multiple emails all 16 years.  But ever since Homestead went to Roundcube every change made for my 'benefit' has SUCKED and been detrimental to my experience.  It's like no one over there actual cares abotu the customer experience (spare me a response chock full of boilerplate corporate lingo about how everything you do is for the customer, it's not).

I'm just sick and tired of one thing after another with Roundcube...smh
Photo of Michelle C

Michelle C, Employee

Utilizing the responses can accommodate that and can be used for the desired action. Identities are a bit different than responses and as they can mask the identity and potentially make it look like users are sending from any email address. This is where the abuse becomes a factor.  Again, I do understand how this can help and I will send this feedback to the appropriate team. G suite has been released and I would recommend look into using it for a more tailored email service for your email needs.