Rotating images in an image gallery

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I do not have the adjust image option for pictures in a gallery I just created. They're all sideways.
Photo of Laura3042

Laura3042

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Hi Lara3042,

Sorry, but when using the photo gallery element, you don't have access to the same image editing features as compared to importing a single image. For the photo gallery, you'll want to edit, crop, rotate, size, etc all of the pictures before you import them into the Sitebuilder.

Thanks!
Mike
Photo of Patricia5080

Patricia5080

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a similar problem and have a workaround. I understand the issue with importing images in a portrait layout for a screen that is landscape, but the web page itself tends to be in portrait. Therefore, I believe SiteBuilder Plus should not automatically rotate images to be oriented the way it thinks they should be.

Anyway, I have a portrait image of a waterfall. When it is imported into SiteBuilder Plus, SiteBuilder Plus rotates it 90° to the right so the water falls from right to left. If I use that image on a page, SiteBuilder Plus allows me to rotate it to the left. You can then make a thumbnail and if you click "Height" instead of "Width," the thumbnail will be oriented properly. However, if I link that thumbnail to the file, the original landscape image comes up (unless there is a way to Save a copy of the rotated image that I haven't found.)

One workaround would be to create a separate page for each image and use the thumbnails versions aligned as if they were part of a Gallery. Then, each page could have a link to the next page or include thumbnails of the remaining images.

Isn't there a better way to do this?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

When you import an image directly to a page (not using the photo gallery), you should be able to rotate it any way you wish. Can you give me a page name and image name that you are having the problem with and I'll take a look at it.
Photo of Dee0321

Dee0321

• 60 Points
All of my new items have sideways pictures... I am so exhausted trying to figure out how to get them right side up that I'm looking to move my website. I am not very impresses with homestead...user friendly - not really...this is my forth year on this site and all of a sudden my new images come up sideways...really???
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Hello Dee0321, I see you have a Storefront hosting plan so your issue is not related to the Photo Gallery element like the others in this thread. For your issue, try opening the images in any type of graphics editor and change the file type from jpg, to jpeg, or .gif etc. Just change to to a different type. Then re-import the picture and it will likely fix the problem. For some reason we see this most frequently with people using Macs or Apple devices.
Photo of Erin8617

Erin8617

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have the same problem. I'm on PC.
Erin
Photo of Diane

Diane

• 72 Points
I have one picture that's upside down in the photo gallery and I can't figure out any way to change that.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

We've seen strange things like this happen before and it usually occurs when a picture is taken with an Iphone, or an image is created in certain types of software. The easiest fix is to just open the image on your computer with MS Paint and safe the file type to something different, ie .jpg .jpeg .gif etc. Then re-import the picture into your site and republish.

Mike
Photo of Diane

Diane

• 72 Points
Thanks. You're exactly right about the issue (iPhone) and the solution.
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Great. Thanks for the followup!
If this post helps, please give a "Star" and complete this survey to rate me.

Thanks!

Mike
Photo of joseph0657

joseph0657

• 60 Points
I just tried to create an image gallery on my website like i normally do every year, but this time around no matter what i do, the photos all are uploading the sideways orientation and there is no way i can fix it. i see in the windows and preview screens that the image is rotated correct, i even tried to manipulete the images and turn them all in various directions and re-upload them to site builder and no matter what it always turns all my images the wrong way :(

I am SO frustrated and like everyone else on here I am ready to LEAVE Homestead, this is NOT user friendly, the software for sitebuilder doesnt even let you use it in MAC and when you do, it says you can use their web version, but the web version says you aren't able to edit an image gallery and you must downland the software. How Frustrating this has been!
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The new online version allows you to do all of these from any Mac or Windows PC. This is something that we have to change on our end. There are new elements being developed that will only be available for the online version. We stopped developing the desktop software several years ago. in favor of the online version. We can switch you if you like, but it is no recommended that you use both.

I am not sure why some people experience this issue, but usually you can upload the images to the file manager and then add them to the gallery. Have you tried that?

Drew

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.