Reset background page color - outside of webpage width

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I just realized that I'm not able to customize the "page" color (outside the width of the webpage) myself on an established page. Can you verify this is true? And if yes, is someone at Homestead able to do this for me?

Some templates have full-width colors and others don't. I didn't realize I couldn't change it until now. My site is highly customized - choosing a new template isn't a great option at this point. Help?

website in question: www.laiventures.com

PS Site is already live and changes are in mid- process, so if you view the site, please don't publish anything!
Photo of lisalai3064

lisalai3064

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

• 184,678 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
There is indeed a way to set the background color as you described. If you click Page Settings>Background, Links, Footer, then you will see an option to set the background color. So in your example if your page width is set at 980, and someone has their web browser opened up to a size larger than your page width, the background color you have chosen will indeed display.

Photo of lisalai3064

lisalai3064

Thanks for your help, Mike.

So you can set the background for all - both website and outside the page width... I'm trying to keep the website page backgrounds white and the "outside width" another color.

To do that I'd have to layer a white box over the background and behind the images and text on each webpage, right? Any idea how that might impact time to load for each page?
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

You are exactly right! Just add a white box and layer it behind all the other elements on the page. The time it takes for the page to load will not be a noticeable difference. When you add a solid box to the page, it is no more than a few kilobytes in size (much smaller than photo images).
Photo of Anne5316

Anne5316

• 70 Points
Help!  I had the same issue and took the actions you describe.  I see the "grid" on the background change to the right color in SiteBuilder,  but when I save and preview the page the same old color appears on the page.  I cleared my cache and still isn't working
Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Anne5316,  Which one of your sites and page(s), are you having the problem with and I'll be happy to take a look at it.

Mike

Photo of Anne5316

Anne5316

• 70 Points

Hi Mike,

I got it resolved through chat—there was some HTML code in the Advanced Settings that came along with the website template.  I just had to go back and delete all the code and then the Set Background Feature worked as intended.

Thanks for responding.

Photo of Mike F.

Mike F., Alum

Anne5316,    OK great.  Let us know if we can help again.

Mike
Photo of cherylhoffman6790

cherylhoffman6790

• 394 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am having this same problem.  I have changed it under  page settings/background a number of times, but it is not changing..... 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

• 262,816 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It looks the same to me. Do you still see a problem? What colors are you seeing?

cherylhoffman6790

Thanks you!  I read more postings and found one that told me to refresh my browser.  I did this and the problem was fixed.  Easy fix, but concerns me in terms of what return customers see.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Don't worry about it. Browsers have always worked in this manner. They download the page and display it from the computer. This speeds up browsing and reduces traffic online. By default they will go look for a new version of the page at least once a day. There are settings that allow you to change that, but typically it isn't necessary. You, as the owner will see this occur more than anyone as you likely visit the site the most to check on your changes.

cherylhoffman6790

But, I made my changes last week - Thursday, I think - and they still hadn't shown up by Sunday.  That seems like a long time. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

That does seem odd. I have seen the browser cache become corrupted before and needed to be cleared, but that should be an exception rather than the norm. Next time you make changes, keep a watch on it and see if it takes that long again.

cherylhoffman6790

I have fixed this now, but I was reflecting on this...the other strange thing was that all of the other changes I had made were reflected when I opened my page. 
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Glad to hear it is fixed. That is strange, but if it is working now, then I won't be able to see what was up.
Photo of lisalai3064

lisalai3064

Perfect. Playing with this right now. Thanks so much for the help.
Photo of Eric6743

Eric6743

• 60 Points
This isnt working for me. I set the background to white and it only changes the center. The sides are still grey. Please help.
Photo of William S

William S

• 18,878 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies? Do the gray side change inside of SiteBuilder?

cherylhoffman6790

I just fixed mine by refreshing my browser when it was open to the page.

Photo of Peter0895

Peter0895

• 1,992 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It appears this is an option in SiteBuilder Lite..... can this task be accomplished in SiteBuilder?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Peter0895, Outside the page width, it will be whatever is set as the background color. If you want a different background within the page width, then you can add a rectangle and make it any size and color desired.
Photo of Peter0895

Peter0895

• 1,992 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I understand that Drew. I am looking for the tool to manage the color outside the page width. Where in the regular Sitebuilder can this be found?
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Alum

Sorry, in Sitebuilder Plus, online, it is under page settings > Backgrounds, Links & footers. If you are using the old desktop application then hit page info and it is on the Page properties on the basics tab

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.