Rebuilding old site with new responsive design. How can I do this AND keep my first page ranking on search engines?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived

I need to rebuild an old website that still has fantastic search engine results.  #1 on the first page of google.  Building the site, is not the problem, that is easy for me.  HOW I name the pages and coordinate pointing the domain to the new site so that I don't lose my search engine results.  That is the question.  Can you point me to any step by step tutorials?
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

• 752 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 248,180 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
We do not have any specific tutorials for this complete process.

Unfortunately, any major redesign of a site will affect your ranking initially. If you build the new site and use the same page names you used before and make sure to take advantage of the SEO options within the builder to make good page titles and descriptions, and alt text your images, it should recover pretty well. The new coding and built in mobile site are more search engine friendly, so it should help reduce any hit you take. Once you have the new site completed then you can move the domain to it and change over. It is best to do this at a time that is less busy for you, if possible.

Additionally, with the new Websitebuilder, you can also use Cloudflare to enable SSL on your site. There really isn't much more than to keep your page names the same, but there is going to be a ranking impact.
Photo of Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller

• 752 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Drew, Thanks for the help.

I do want to say that I have been a homestead customer for almost 15 years.  The new interface for the websites is so easy and simple to use and it looks fantastic.
Photo of Drew N

Drew N, Community Manager

• 248,180 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I am happy to hear you like it so far.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.